Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Wow! Amazing specimen ... wonderful condition and a real technical marvel :p:p

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Thanks for connecting us to a fascinating piece Ray. You can take the mod out of the vintage forum but you can't take the vintage forum out of the man.;-)

·
Registered
289 Posts
That is one of the most beautiful pocket watches I have ever seen!! Does anyone know what the estimated value of a watch like that is?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Yikes! Thanks for the link! It never fails to amaze me the things that turn up.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Wow. 1.5mm?? How is that even possible?

10/10.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Thanks for the hookup Ray, that was a pleasure to see and read about. Pretty darn amazing.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
An amazing piece! Kudos to all of its owners who took such great care of it over the years (centuries?).

Does anyone make ultrathin mechanicals today? I know there are some quartz watches that could be called "ultrathin", but is there anything out there in an auto or manual wind?

Mike

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
An amazing piece! Kudos to all of its owners who took such great care of it over the years (centuries?).

Does anyone make ultrathin mechanicals today? I know there are some quartz watches that could be called "ultrathin", but is there anything out there in an auto or manual wind?

Mike
Automatics and mechanical ultra thin modern watch makers -

Jaeger-LeCoultre
Vacheron Constantin
Audemars Piguet
Piaget
Chopard
Girard-Perregaux
Zenith
Universal Geneve
Patek Philippe

and, a few others ... JLC makes the thinnest handwind watch currently. GP and VC have the thinnest automatics, I think. All regular production of course, no limited editions or independent makers.

I have a Zenith cal. 680 which is almost 10 years old, the movement is 3.28 mm thick (including the automatic winding module and rotor). I've seen a GP automatic movement which is 3.1 mm thick. I've seen a JLC handwind movement (cal. 849) which is 1.85 mm thick.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
One of the reasons a watch like this could be made as thin as it is - is the use of a cylinder escapement. Everything in the escape mechanism could be coplanar. The older verge technology would not have permitted this. That plus some incredible hand workmanship resulted in this exceptional watch.
Cylinder escapements aren't as good as lever ones so the watch wouldn't be as good a timekeeper as they make nowadays. However, the old watchmakers were no dummies.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I am not even a collector of pocket watches, I found the thread and pics of that masterpiece completely fascinating. And every post in that thread held my interest. Amazing pocket watch, is all I have to say.:-!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts