WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Yesterday I took my Rolex Explorer to the AD in Rotterdam where I bought it (new and unworn) in December 2015 + my Tudor Black Bay (bought second hand from a Dutch forum member in November 2016).

Explorer: I wanted to have a bracelet link removed from the "12" side and added to the "6" side.
Black Bay: I wanted it to get demagnetized.

Both were immediately done by the AD. He even used Loctite 243 (the blue one) on the link screws to secure them.

Cost: € 0.
Free of charge

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
No US AD is required to do free minor servicing/adjusting on the Rolex line. It's not a requirement to sell the brand.

That said, some do these kinds of adjustments without charge, hoping that you might think of them when its time to make another purchase. Other shops take a position that you didn't buy it from them, so there are no freebies and they might charge.

What you want to keep in mind is that not all AD's have floor help that are versed in dealing with tiny screws and polished metal and sharp edged screwdrivers. If the sales help offers to do it for free and returns the watch with a couple of deep scratches, then how are you going to feel?

My suggestion is to seek out a watch repair shop and prepare to pay a nominal fee, or buy the screwdriver and do it yourself after attaching masking tape to the exposed areas to protect you from yourself.

As for the prior post from The Netherlands, this is exactly kind of service I'd expect with a purchase history.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the good advice. I am looking to buy a Rolex on the forums and would presumably need to get the bracelet readjusted. Do you think any credible watchmaker would have the necessary tools to do the microadjustment on the Easylink clasp?

No US AD is required to do free minor servicing/adjusting on the Rolex line. It's not a requirement to sell the brand.

That said, some do these kinds of adjustments without charge, hoping that you might think of them when its time to make another purchase. Other shops take a position that you didn't buy it from them, so there are no freebies and they might charge.

What you want to keep in mind is that not all AD's have floor help that are versed in dealing with tiny screws and polished metal and sharp edged screwdrivers. If the sales help offers to do it for free and returns the watch with a couple of deep scratches, then how are you going to feel?

My suggestion is to seek out a watch repair shop and prepare to pay a nominal fee, or buy the screwdriver and do it yourself after attaching masking tape to the exposed areas to protect you from yourself.

As for the prior post from The Netherlands, this is exactly kind of service I'd expect with a purchase history.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
In my experience any Rolex dealer will be happy to add or remove links, clean your watch, and kiss up to you. If you are already in the 'Rolex Club' they know there is a shot at selling you another watch down the road. You are literally the demographic they want to impress. So forcing their staff to charge you for such minor work seems like a stupid business model, when there is a shot of forming a new relationship with you and talking you into a new Rolex one day.

The Rolex dealership in my local mall usually offer to clean my Rolex, if I go in and browse without me even asking. I never bought my Rolex from them, not even in the same state.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I've never been charged for minor Tudor or Rolex adjustments at a Rolex AD.
If they are a jeweler/AD they usually volunteer to clean my wife's rings free of charge as well.
The fact that both my wife and I are wearing Rolexes, plus the size of the rock on her wedding ring = vetted potential customer.
10 minutes of their watchmakers time has the potential to return thousands of dollars in sales.
The 10 minutes they spend tinkering with my stuff is 10 minutes the sales staff has to work their magic.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks for the good advice. I am looking to buy a Rolex on the forums and would presumably need to get the bracelet readjusted. Do you think any credible watchmaker would have the necessary tools to do the microadjustment on the Easylink clasp?
You can do the microadjustments on the Easylink with any springbar tool, I do them myself several times a year as the temperature/humidity changes my wrist size.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Yup. Any credible watchmaker can do it. If he charges $10-$15 for the service, that's small change compared to the cost of the watch. I personally dont worry about the cost as much as convenience to me. If it makes my life less complicated to go to a nearby competent watchmaker rather than the AD, I would do it in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Asked an different AD to the one I purchased my Explorer II from to adjust the bracelet on the watch and wasn't charged anything. After all, they see a potential future customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ok, I totally disagree here. They know you bought it used or gray market and no they do not see you as a potential customer. They should charge me and you to do this as it is the opposite of what has been said. If you don't buy gray market it is a perk the retailer should offer. By doing this for free they are encouraging people to buy elsewhere as they now even expect the dealer to adjust for free.

When you go to work do you do anything for free? I buy both AD and gray and will tell you I would never think of asking anybody to do anything for free. The entitlement syndrome is just crazy.

You saved thousands of dollars on your watch. AD knows this and says they will adjust for say $50 and explains that they would do this and x,y and z for free if you had bought from them. It also gives them the opportunity to explain their pricing and reason you shouldn't have bought gray market.

I know when I don't buy from an AD there are going to be downsides and paying $50 isn't going to deter me or have me bad mouth a dealer knowing I saved thousands. Call me crazy but i am embarrassed to even ask an AD knowing how I obtained watch.

ANY watch repair facility can adjust the bracelet at a minimal charge. That is why they are in business to make money for what they do.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Ok, I totally disagree here. They know you bought it used or gray market and no they do not see you as a potential customer. They should charge me and you to do this as it is the opposite of what has been said. If you don't buy gray market it is a perk the retailer should offer. By doing this for free they are encouraging people to buy elsewhere as they now even expect the dealer to adjust for free.
You can disagree, but it doesn't change the fact that many ADs will nonetheless do this for free even though they don't have to, and presumably for the reasons explained above.

I think it's poor form to try to get a free bracelet adjustment from an AD when you have no intention of ever giving them your business. If you can afford a Rolex, you can afford $20 to have someone adjust the bracelet. But, if you want to ask, there's a good chance you'll succeed.

·
Registered
41,170 Posts
Yep, lots of 'freeloaders' out there.
You can disagree, but it doesn't change the fact that many ADs will nonetheless do this for free even though they don't have to, and presumably for the reasons explained above.

I think it's poor form to try to get a free bracelet adjustment from an AD when you have no intention of ever giving them your business. If you can afford a Rolex, you can afford $20 to have someone adjust the bracelet. But, if you want to ask, there's a good chance you'll succeed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I asked the question merely so that I didn't go into a situation with unreasonable expectations. I have no problem paying a small amount to readjust the bracelet and certainly don't feel entitled to get it done for free, I was just wondering if I would be expected to do so. If it is common for them to do it for free why would I not take advantage of it?

Also, leaving aside the fact that buying used is still buying within the AD ecosystem (the warranty still works, right?), there are other situations besides used or grey market where one might need the bracelet adjusted at an AD other than where the watch was bought. If you received a watch as a gift would you be expected to pay for bracelet resizing?

When you go to work do you do anything for free? I buy both AD and gray and will tell you I would never think of asking anybody to do anything for free. The entitlement syndrome is just crazy.

You saved thousands of dollars on your watch. AD knows this and says they will adjust for say $50 and explains that they would do this and x,y and z for free if you had bought from them. It also gives them the opportunity to explain their pricing and reason you shouldn't have bought gray market.

I know when I don't buy from an AD there are going to be downsides and paying $50 isn't going to deter me or have me bad mouth a dealer knowing I saved thousands. Call me crazy but i am embarrassed to even ask an AD knowing how I obtained watch.

ANY watch repair facility can adjust the bracelet at a minimal charge. That is why they are in business to make money for what they do.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I've NEVER had a dealer ask anything about how or where I obtained my watch.
In fact, if a dealer wants to start that game or tries to give me a lecture about how or where I purchased my item I'll give them the middle finger and NEVER buy anything from their establishment.

My local jeweler/Rolex AD has never charged for minor watch service, of any kind.
25 years ago my wife needed a battery changed in her Seiko, battery was around $5, installation free.
I remembered that service and how the staff treated us, despite the fact we weren't really in the market for anything other than that battery.
20 years later I bout a $14k ring from them and a $12k Rolex.
I guarantee that if that dealer had of treated me like a second tier customer because I bought that Seiko elsewhere I'd have never returned.
Tell me "That'll be $5 for the battery and $15 for the service" and that's cool with me.
Tell me "That's $20 since you bought it somewhere else" and I'll walk out never to return.
Tell me "Battery installation is free, please feel free to browse and we'll get that taken care of for you" and while I might not buy today, you're now on my list of places that treat customers right and I will be back with cash in hand someday.

·
Registered
15,919 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've NEVER had a dealer ask anything about how or where I obtained my watch.
In fact, if a dealer wants to start that game or tries to give me a lecture about how or where I purchased my item I'll give them the middle finger and NEVER buy anything from their establishment.

My local jeweler/Rolex AD has never charged for minor watch service, of any kind.
25 years ago my wife needed a battery changed in her Seiko, battery was around $5, installation free.
I remembered that service and how the staff treated us, despite the fact we weren't really in the market for anything other than that battery.
20 years later I bout a $14k ring from them and a $12k Rolex.
I guarantee that if that dealer had of treated me like a second tier customer because I bought that Seiko elsewhere I'd have never returned.
Tell me "That'll be $5 for the battery and $15 for the service" and that's cool with me.
Tell me "That's $20 since you bought it somewhere else" and I'll walk out never to return.
Tell me "Battery installation is free, please feel free to browse and we'll get that taken care of for you" and while I might not buy today, you're now on my list of places that treat customers right and I will be back with cash in hand someday.
The last part, I really get you.

Went to a store last time to send a bag for warranty. The staff was polite and entertained my questions for the day.

Walked in few weeks later to purchase something off the same staff.

It's simple courtesy. I'd be okay to pay small money for the adjustment of the bracelet, if I don't purchase it from the AD and if they are nice enough to phrase their sentences politely.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts