WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first watch I ever had was a Timex Ironman Triathlon, and I purchased it with my own money from the local Kmart. This was probably circa 1992 when I was ~8 years old. In attempt to recapture the nostalgia, I recently acquired this trio from eBay, which captures all three color combos that represent to me the quintessential Ironman Triathlon (containing some combination of black, silver/grey, and orange/gold). As best I can remember, mine was a pre-Indiglo boys model with the black on dark grey scheme, but all three of these are Indiglo mens watches (38mm case width).

Any love for these old Ironman Triathlons? If you have one, or any other Timex digital watch from the 80's or early 90's, share a photo!
Watch Light Analog watch Watch accessory Clock

Hand Arm Watch Sunglasses Body jewelry

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The Ironman was a massive fad at my school, girls and boys, and it was really my grail. For whatever reason I owned about half a dozen drug store specials at that age, but never had one. A few years ago ebay made my childhood dreams come true.

I also bought the classic modern version, because I thought a "Then and Now" collection would be fun.
Watch Product Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

·
Registered
50 Posts
Seeing these photos, I didn't know (or forgot, I guess) there was "mode" and "set" functions indicated on the bezel. Guess mine wore off :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
View attachment 16119473

I have no idea where the band went, but nevertheless, glad to still have this..my very first watch. Probably early 90s, around 9/10 yrs old
Replacement straps are readily available, and batteries are cheap and easy to replace yourself...time to fire that back up!

Timex were making the originals as late as 2014 (the date on mine) for the Japanese market (I think that's what I read), so you might even find a rather new-ish whole watch. Prices are not outrageous, IIRC.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Timex were making the originals as late as 2014 (the date on mine) for the Japanese market (I think that's what I read), so you might even find a rather new-ish whole watch. Prices are not outrageous, IIRC.
Oh, interesting... that explains the 2014 date code on one of mine. I was struggling to understand how that could be. The other two are 1993 originals.

Reactions: Deity42

·
Registered
Timex, Shinola, Movado, Elgin.
543 Posts
Here is my black and orange model, pre-Indiglo from 1992 and very well worn. It was my daily driver for about 10 years and is on its 2nd band and 3rd or 4th battery at least, but it still runs like new. This watch is extremely special to me as it was the last thing given to me by my mother just a few months before she passed on way too young. Its one of those watches I could never part with.

Watch Clock Measuring instrument Rectangle Temperature

·
Premium Member
3,802 Posts
The first watch I ever had was a Timex Ironman Triathlon, and I purchased it with my own money from the local Kmart. This was probably circa 1992 when I was ~8 years old. In attempt to recapture the nostalgia, I recently acquired this trio from eBay, which captures all three color combos that represent to me the quintessential Ironman Triathlon (containing some combination of black, silver/grey, and orange/gold). As best I can remember, mine was a pre-Indiglo boys model with the black on dark grey scheme, but all three of these are Indiglo mens watches (38mm case width).

Any love for these old Ironman Triathlons? If you have one, or any other Timex digital watch from the 80's or early 90's, share a photo!
View attachment 16119248
View attachment 16119252
As a 2 time Ironman, a Timex Ironman is the only quartz watch I own (not including my Garmin fenix, which is more of a workout tracking computer than watch, at least for me). I only use it for pool lap swimming and running on an indoor track (which I try to never do). The 100-lap stopwatch is really valuable when doing high intervals.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Oh, interesting... that explains the 2014 date code on one of mine. I was struggling to understand how that could be. The other two are 1993 originals.
Yeah, when I got on ebay a few years ago, I searched "Ironman" and found one new in box, for $30-ish? So I was like, wow, and then realized the seller was Timex themselves. Arrived completely new in packaging. I think cayabo or Chascomm speculated it was NOS from some kind of Japanese reissue.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts