WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With which watch manufacturer would you want to do your apprenticeship? Post photos, a link to the shop/school, and an explanation! Bonus if you've actually spent time learning the craft and actually have the photos to prove it.

I must admit my bias here as a new Glashutte Original owner but man, looking at GO, I would love to learn the art of watchcraft from the fine folks over at the Alfred Helwig school of watchmaking.

From the GO Facebook page: "Individual projects give highly motivated students at Glashütte Original’s own watchmaking school a chance to put their skills to the test and to create an absolutely unique work. The students are given two years, in parallel to their studies, to work on a movement blank and to create their very own souvenir of their time as an apprentice watchmaker. This opportunity has given rise to masterpieces complete with flying tourbillon and elaborate engravings executed by hand."

Of course, I have no idea how much this costs...but, this is a fantasy post anyway, right?

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I'd need 30 year younger eyes, better fine motor control, and more patience. That said - Zenith would be my choice.

Reactions: MidnightClipper

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Deos Seiko have a School? I'd probably want to go there, they have everything from extremely cheap and simple to Complicated and expensive so you'd get exposure to all kinds of movements.

That and I'd love to live in Japan :-!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pictures, people! I know they're out there somewhere!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
For me it would have to be Roger Smith who was apprenticed to George Daniels. That way I could learn every aspect of the watchmaking craft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bradjhomes

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Not sure who i would pick, but if my eyes were young again, I'd just enjoy working on them as a hobby.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
JLC for me. What the company has done for itself and other major brands is nothing short of extraordinary.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Deos Seiko have a School? I'd probably want to go there, they have everything from extremely cheap and simple to Complicated and expensive so you'd get exposure to all kinds of movements.

That and I'd love to live in Japan :-!
Yes, they are primarily in their Grand Seiko and their Credor lines but they do have a school (two as I recall but I could be out of date).

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'd work for some crap hong Kong factory making 1000 help kitty watches a day.

What can I say? I don't have the patience for those fiddly little gears.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I'd work for some crap hong Kong factory making 1000 help kitty watches a day.

What can I say? I don't have the patience for those fiddly little gears.
And you'd get fired for being slow...;-)

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
After 19 years of schooling (12 of primary and secondary, 4 at university, and 3 more of law school), I don't think I would want to sign up for more schooling. Maybe in another 10 years when I'll be far enough removed from the classroom I might want to venture back.

But twist my arm and I'd choose JLC for sure, provided they relocate to California.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd personally go to The Lititz Watch Technicum. I would be close to family and it is a Rolex school, so I know I would be getting top notch training and the best part is it's free. The story goes that Rolex realized a lack of qualified watchmakers in the US (the average age was like 57 years old) and wanted to make sure that there was a future generation of watchmakers. So they built a school to train them. I am about 30 years too old for it but a little over 10 years ago Rolex opened a watchmaking school in Lititz Pennsylvania. The tuition is free, but you need to supply your own equipment which costs about $15,000. When you graduate you are a certified Rolex watchmaker and guaranteed a $70,000/year paycheck (I think there was a 3 - 5 year commitment to Rolex). I tried to encourage my son and nephews to try out for it but none of them did. I think they only take 24 students a year (or maybe semester) so your chances of getting in are slim, but if you really wanted to learn from the best it would be a good start.

http://www.jckonline.com/article/290528-Watchmaking_school_opens_at_new_Rolex_site_in_Pennsylvania.php

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
It may sound shallow, but I would go for the one that paid the most. I'd need to be close to my current salary.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
Teacher... Summers and every weekend and holiday off. I'd need therapy to relate to the kids, but still... A very small price to pay!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure who i would pick, but if my eyes were young again, I'd just enjoy working on them as a hobby.
I took up the hobby recently at age 47 but I made it to 46 years of age before needing prescription glasses. For reference, my bi-focals are +1.5

With enough light and a strong magnification visor I do well and enjoy the hobby quite a bit.

I would love to complete an apprenticeship in Switzerland, if I were a few years younger. I look forward to seeing what companies are chosen in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
27,686 Posts
My own.

Reactions: GlenRoiland
1 - 20 of 22 Posts