WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The titles says it all...if you won $1M this week for example, what would be the top 5 things you would purchase in order of priority?

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
1. The rest of our Condo - $366 000 CND
2. A new Volvo V90 Cross Country - $70 000 CND The perfect modern surf-adventure wagon. With some luxury.
3. Laird StandUP LX Touring SUP board - $2500
4. Firewire Longboard - $1000 CND
5. S-Works Tri-Bike for my wife - $10 000 CND

The rest would go into a variety of savings accounts and investments. As well as a substantial amount set aside for gifts for parents, friends, etc.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think I would probably spend it all on property, both a primary residence and hopefully some sort of investment property as well. As for watches, I would limit myself to a single <10k USD watch purchase, as that could get out of hand really quickly! :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think I would probably spend it all on property, both a primary residence and hopefully some sort of investment property as well. As for watches, I would limit myself to a single <10k USD watch purchase, as that could get out of hand really quickly! :)
Zero chance you would do that. Sorry to be negative. You would spend more. It's the American way.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bank interest wouldn't buy you your daily coffee. You need at least a 5% turn to even notice you have extra money on only a million.

I have everything I need so I'd choose frivolous unnecessary things.
Nokie was probably referring to a standard, well-managed investment portfolio as opposed to 0.1% from a savings account. 50k annually is much more than coffee money.

Also, want to elaborate more on the frivolous things you would buy?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Zero chance you would do that. Sorry to be negative. You would spend more. It's the American way.
Hmmm, I'm also sorry to be negative but I'm pretty sure you have zero way of knowing what I would do, as you know very little about me. Just because I'm American doesn't mean that I'm going to go blow a bunch of money immediately on stuff I don't need, and I'm unclear where the idea that that is "the American way" even comes from.

Furthermore, what I've described is actually a way that I will be able to spend much more money in the future. Without rent or a mortgage payment, I'd have a significantly higher percentage of my paycheck to spend. I'd also have rental income from the rental property, which would serve the same purpose. The reason that I'd do it this way is that I don't actually think 1M$ USD is that much money. It's not so much, for instance, that you can just retire and never work again, at least not with a reasonable standard of living, ya know?

My goal with a million bucks would be to set myself up for a more comfortable existence in the future.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Nokie was probably referring to a standard, well-managed investment portfolio as opposed to 0.1% from a savings account. 50k annually is much more than coffee money.

Also, want to elaborate more on the frivolous things you would buy?
Well he did say Bank and Interest not investment ;)
oh and I'm from Seattle so $50k does cover my families coffee money. Barely.

My stuff would be boring to most. No watches or cars I have too many.

We just bought a mountain home so brand new furniture and some remodel touches would suck up 25% of it.

$20k set aside for tennis balls for my dogs.

$500k to continue to fund a school my wife has helped launch in Calcutta

The rest boat gas and bicycle tubes and tires to keep me off the streets.

Boring stuff except to me and my bride.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well he did say Bank and Interest not investment ;)
oh and I'm from Seattle so $50k does cover my families coffee money. Barely.

My stuff would be boring to most. No watches or cars I have too many.

We just bought a mountain home so brand new furniture and some remodel touches would suck up 25% of it.

$20k set aside for tennis balls for my dogs.

$500k to continue to fund a school my wife has helped launch in Calcutta

The rest boat gas and bicycle tubes and tires to keep me off the streets.

Boring stuff except to me and my bride.
Wow, you guys must really churn through the coffee! I was doing the same until I got myself a home espresso machine--strongly recommended if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
1 - Pay off mortgage
2 - Buy MIL a new car
3 - OP39
4 - Holiday, Hawaii and NYC
5 - investment property

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
Assuming you mean $1M free and clear of taxes:

1. An annuity for $900,000. At 6% with a 20-year duration, that's almost $6500 in my pocket each month.
2. Pay off the remainder of my mortgage & home equity line
3. Pay off the remainder of my car payment
4. Purchase a Rolex Submariner 114060, just because I want one and could never justify it before.
5. Remodel the bathroom.

Yeah, I'm a real wild man...

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
725 Posts
1. House @ cca 300.000$
2. Summer house in the Mediterranean, cca 250.000$
3. College fund for the kids, 250.000$
4. 2x cars, whatever maker, total 80.000$
5. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle, YG, sub seconds, 20.000$