WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

If your favourite watches were available in an otherwise identical quartz version, would you swap?

• Yes

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 89 76.7%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Hypothetical question I've been pondering for a while.

If your favourite watch/watches were available in a version that is 100% identical to your automatic mechanical watch, with the same finish/materials/details, but the only difference was that instead of a mechanical movement, there was a quartz movement inside, would you buy it/swap your current watches for them?

Obviously for automatic watches with see-through glass casebacks, this may not be entirely possible.

8 years ago I was getting into luxury watches, and bought my first Omega, which was an opaline Aqua Terra Co-axial 8500 which I still have today. Back then I had only just learnt about how mechanical watches work, and watching the second hand making smooth movements rather than ticking at 1-second intervals gave me great satisfaction.

Currently I own 3 modern SMPs (AT 8500, SMPc, and the original Pierce Brosnan 'GoldenEye' SMP quartz). I also own 4 vintage Omegas which I wear occasionally.

My AT's movement broke after 71/2 years, with the hour wheel failing, such that the hour hand was not advancing. I took it in for a service which cost me AU$830 (US$630). It should be good to go for another 7-8 years.

But lately I just can't get over how much more convenient a quartz movement is. The battery died twice in the 8 years I've had it, and each time I put in a $3 battery myself and I set my automatic watches against it.

So the question is, if your favourite watches were available in quartz versions, everything else being identical, would you swap your automatic watches for them?

The benefits of a quartz movement are obvious - unbeatable accuracy, ultra low cost maintenance ($6 vs $630 over a course of 8 or so years), but purists and watch lovers could write a book about the allure of the mechanical movement.

Years ago when I was an automatic watch snob I would have said NO, but now I doubt it will be that easy. In fact I'm now 50:50.

·
Registered
Lately: Omega Seamaster Professional Divers 300
4,374 Posts
Quartz = NO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
18,386 Posts
I own multiple quartz that I am pleased with

Part of what I enjoy about many of my mechanical watches is that they are mechanical.....for some it is the display case back, for others it is the joy of a hand wind movement, for most it is the "sweeping" seconds hand.

Now if they could be solar, HAQ, with a sweeping seconds hand.....I would be interested

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yes.

I started getting into this hobby with a few affordable automatics, and happened to try some quartz watches later on down the line.

It turns out that the winding and time drift of the autos was annoying enough for me, and the quartzes are getting all of the wrist time since. I also worry about durability and servicing of the autos. They've never failed on me, but something about their intricacies was causing worry in the back of my head. Taking my car in for servicing is enough, don't want that pain in this hobby.

Just like @ugawino, I'd absolutely like a lot of classic models in quartz. It's rough when you find a watch that ticks all the boxes and see "oh darn, it's mechanical." But sure a lot of you have that issue with some quartz watches too.

·
Registered
9,712 Posts
Part of the fascination and pleasure for me is knowing this little masterpiece of miniature engineering exists and is powered by my winding it up either manually or my movements. Don’t get me wrong there is ingenuity and fascination in digital technology too, but my watches I generally prefer mechanical.

Nigel

·
Registered
294 Posts
Some of my favourite watches are my favourite because of the movement, plays a big part, but some of my favourites are quartz too, closed case back, no seconds hand, and in fact the 38hr power reserve lead me to buying the quartz version, I preferred the size too

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would wear my smart watch in mechanical variant if there is one available. So no way that I would buy quartz Omega or anythig else.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Some of my less accurate mechanicals I would be just as happy if they were HAQ, but for those that operate consistently within a couple of seconds a day I am content as they are.
Now, would I exchange all my mechanical movements with Spring Drive (best of both worlds)? You betcha.

Reactions: GrandWatcher

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I voted yes!
To some it´s refered to as the Quartz crisis, to others as the Quartz revolution. I belong to the latter.
Unfortunately the traditional watch industry is in a sloping hill, much due to the introduction of smartwatches I would guess.
So, the watchindustry is trying to sell a romantic idea of mechanical watches (wich I understand). Quartz with all the advantages over mechanical will not help the traditional watchindusrty in this "buisiness climate". Why not with quartz? Basicly because there will be very litle maintenance to make money from, is my guess. But that´s from a buisiness point of wiev. To me, as a watch-wearer, a quartzcaliber is superior in every way. I am not in this hobby to save the watch industry by eating the romantic idea of lost times. So I voted yes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tempting. Convenience, accuracy and if it brought down the cost, these factors may persuade me to switch.

For Cartier where there is a quartz version for models such as the Tank, I would choose quartz over automatic movement. A watch I would wear less frequently and has no second hand.

·
Premium Member
8,494 Posts
Of course it depeneds on the movement and also the watch and what I appreciate about it, but generally speaking, yes.

@Barbababa is pretty dead on, but at the same time some of HAQ's greatest achievements have happened in the last couple of years. 1st, The Citizen calibre 0100. Enough said. Another more subjective one is the popularity of the GS 9f GMTs. That might seem like a head scratcher, but I guess what I am saying is the fact that a luxury brand could produce a HAQ as one of its best sellers is encouraging. Or maybe I am being overly optimistic :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (probably, I don't foresee any other non-quartz luxury brands suddenly jumping into the market. I wonder if the convenience of Cartier's SolarBeat could maybe open doors in the future, too?).

·
Registered
908 Posts
The accuracy of my 8900 is quartz-like, so no thank you.
The engineering of that tiny coaxial marvel is something magical. I don't get that with quartz movements.
Quartz has its place in my ecodrive beater where it is truly appreciated.

·
Registered
36,621 Posts
Hell no….. a quartz Bronzo….now that is sacrilidge.

I'll stick with my auto thanks.

Reactions: Morrisdog

·
Registered
78 Posts
Each have their own purpose and can be enjoyed either way.

I will say though, as an electrical engineer, to me the technology and engineering feats of quartz, particularly solar and high accuracy quartz, are higher and more "magical" than mechanical.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The accuracy of my 8900 is quartz-like, so no thank you.
The engineering of that tiny coaxial marvel is something magical. I don't get that with quartz movements.
So was my AT 8500. Within 1 second per 24 hours, for the first 2-3 years. Amazing.

Then after 4-5 years it was within 3-4 seconds, and by its 8th year, 5-6 seconds off per day. By this stage I didn't care about the accuracy too much, but would notice my watch was out by 2 minutes every few weeks, and simply reset the minute hand without worrying about the second hand.

My quartz SMP 2541.80 has been keeping time within 1 second per month for the past 8 years, only needing two self battery changes at a cost of $3-4 each.

I now think less and less about the 'marvel' of the automatic movement. Sure it's pretty cool, but not "I'm happy to pay $600+ dollars for every mechanical watch I own every 7-8 years" cool.

·
Registered
908 Posts
So was my AT 8500. Within 1 second per 24 hours, for the first 2-3 years. Amazing.

Then after 4-5 years it was within 3-4 seconds, and by its 8th year, 5-6 seconds off per day. By this stage I didn't care about the accuracy too much, but would notice my watch was out by 2 minutes every few weeks, and simply reset the minute hand without worrying about the second hand.

My quartz SMP 2541.80 has been keeping time within 1 second per month for the past 8 years, only needing two self battery changes at a cost of $3-4 each.

I now think less and less about the 'marvel' of the automatic movement. Sure it's pretty cool, but not "I'm happy to pay $600+ dollars for every mechanical watch I own every 7-8 years" cool.
Be interesting to see my 8900 vs your 8500 in that timeframe.
Has Omega made a truly superior upgrade to the old movement?
For my sake I hope so.
The 5-6spd you quoted is hovering at the limit of COSC/METAS, I think I could live with that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't wear quartz as a matter of principle. They do nothing for me. The closest I get is my vintage and 50th Anniversary Accutrons which are engineering marvels and horological landmarks of their own.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts