WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

If your favourite watches were available in an otherwise identical quartz version, would you swap?

• Yes

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 89 76.7%
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
I wouldn't swap them, but I'd buy more quartz models.

I wouldn't just be putting in a $3 battery, I'd get it done properly and pressure tested/seals replaced

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hi all

Hypothetical question I've been pondering for a while.

If your favourite watch/watches were available in a version that is 100% identical to your automatic mechanical watch, with the same finish/materials/details, but the only difference was that instead of a mechanical movement, there was a quartz movement inside, would you buy it/swap your current watches for them?

Obviously for automatic watches with see-through glass casebacks, this may not be entirely possible.

8 years ago I was getting into luxury watches, and bought my first Omega, which was an opaline Aqua Terra Co-axial 8500 which I still have today. Back then I had only just learnt about how mechanical watches work, and watching the second hand making smooth movements rather than ticking at 1-second intervals gave me great satisfaction.

Currently I own 3 modern SMPs (AT 8500, SMPc, and the original Pierce Brosnan 'GoldenEye' SMP quartz). I also own 4 vintage Omegas which I wear occasionally.

My AT's movement broke after 71/2 years, with the hour wheel failing, such that the hour hand was not advancing. I took it in for a service which cost me AU$830 (US$630). It should be good to go for another 7-8 years.

But lately I just can't get over how much more convenient a quartz movement is. The battery died twice in the 8 years I've had it, and each time I put in a $3 battery myself and I set my automatic watches against it.

So the question is, if your favourite watches were available in quartz versions, everything else being identical, would you swap your automatic watches for them?

The benefits of a quartz movement are obvious - unbeatable accuracy, ultra low cost maintenance ($6 vs $630 over a course of 8 or so years), but purists and watch lovers could write a book about the allure of the mechanical movement.

Years ago when I was an automatic watch snob I would have said NO, but now I doubt it will be that easy. In fact I'm now 50:50.
I have been having this debate with myself recently, and I've come to the conclusion that while, no, I wouldn't swap out my autos for a quartz identical to them, I would have some quartzes in my collection.

As it stands, I have able 1/2 and 1/2.

my next acquition that's incoming is an auto.

the one I'm considering getting along with it is a cheap (less than $200) timex quartz…

Make of that what you will…

·
Registered
106 Posts
I answered Yes b/c there wasn't a Both option. I would like a white/silver dial AT38 to go with my AT38 8800. But I'd only wear it once a week or so and don't want to start it up and set it. And only if the price difference was significant.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
No thank you. What's next? Electric bicycles? Cars? Sigh....... You kids and your tomfoolery......... I'd rather buy a Tag Heuer

Reactions: Dr.Nguyen

·
Registered
107 Posts
(The x-files music intensifies)

I doubt many would though. If you are somewhat of a watch person and doesn't wear a quartz, there's probably a good reason why you don't.
Me though I prefer a mechanical watch but currently my lifestyle is really unfriendly for them. So I wear a G shock. Maybe when I get older and settle down more I could get meself some nice automatic watches.

For F sake I'm gonna lay down my two cents. I love mechanical watches because they are human. Every bit of workings of a mech movement is designed by humans. The humanity is great. Quartz on the other hand we are still relying on the piezoelectric properties of the quartz crystal. Which is a natural phenomenon. There's a thick unique texture to mechanical watches that's simply non existent on quartz watches.

Wonder what you guys think about monstrosities like the seiko spring drive?

With that said it's difficult to beat a LCD quartz watch in terms of practicality. Drop resistant up to three stories high(realisitally most G shock could easily withstand being dropped on any angle from 3-5 meters), magnetic and temperature resistant(it will break if you stick it in a steel furnace but definitely more resilient than mechanical watches), powered by solar and has a power reserve of 24 months. And alarm clocks and world time(30 different locations, like GMT ++) and multiband 6 which pretty much allows the watch to run spot on.

Yes yes I am going to cut my rant short. I love mech watches but I also love my quartz because they are just indestructible unlike my poor marathon gsar, certina DS, (some micro brand that uses a miyota 90 whoes name I don't remember, oh that one really sucked it stopped on a full charge after very mild hiking trip), bulova spaceview accurtron and many others.

Yeah I have broke quite a few mechanical watches. It's not their fault. I'm just too reckless. On a good day I bang my watch at least two times. On a bad day maybe like 14. On a crazy day.... I could be jumping across old bunkers and climping trees and mulching and using an impact drill or dumping a drum magazine. Bad for any watches. Especially mechanicals.
So love your automatics and your hand winds all you want, but don't look down on quartz. I'm by far not the craziest mother*** on this planet but I haven't had a mechanical watch that would survive my lifestyle for more than two years.... My marathon made 17 months.... which is pretty impressive.
But anyways, you got anther 15 minutes out of me. go away now.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Some of my watches are in my collection BECAUSE of the specific automatic movement. I would love to add a quartz version of my Benrus Tyoe I reissue, but I can’t think of another auto watch of mine I’d rather have in quartz, and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
No thank you. What's next? Electric bicycles? Cars? Sigh....... You kids and your tomfoolery......... I'd rather buy a Tag Heuer
LOL! Electric cars? No way! 🤣

Don't worry, I'm sure someone out there still sells buggy whips. But you might have to gasp search for them online.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
For F sake I'm gonna lay down my two cents. I love mechanical watches because they are human. Every bit of workings of a mech movement is designed by humans. The humanity is great. Quartz on the other hand we are still relying on the piezoelectric properties of the quartz crystal. Which is a natural phenomenon. There's a thick unique texture to mechanical watches that's simply non existent on quartz watches.
Of course, it took brilliant human minds to harness that piezoelectric (?) power, miniaturized it and make it able to do all the glorious things a G-Shock can do.

And I know a lot of people still cling to the tired belief that the gears and springs in their autos have a "soul" (🙄), but I think the electric pulses from a quartz watch is closer to a human heartbeat.

I'm just glad there are plenty of options available to us all.....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Absolutely yes, although technically I own no mechanical watches, so I have nothing to swap out.

I bought my SMP300m in quartz because I prefer the accuracy of quartz over mechanicals, but wanted a high quality watch since it was replacing a 1680 Sub. That was 2003, no such option is available these days from Omega unfortunately. Choices are fairly limited these days if you want quartz in a high quality watch, so the operative word in your title is the "IF" part.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Apart from cheap digital beater Casios, I have one quartz watch, and that's a Seiko Solar Arnie. Of course that one must be quartz because it personifies the 80s. All my other watches are and will always be mechanical.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I voted no but I have have owned quartz watches and they obviously serve a purpose.

For me there will always be mystique attached to mechanical watches that I just enjoy so much.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My answer would be YES, except that I only buy quartz. Sometimes the same watch, such as the forthcoming Straton Comp Diver, is available either way, so I ordered the quartz. Some great watches, maybe even most great watches, are available with automatic movements only. I don't buy them.

In practice, many manufacturers use quartz for their chronos, even if they use automatics for their 3-handers and GMTs. So, my collection of 30+ watches is way over-represented by chronos.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Some years ago I decided to buy a Longines Hydroconquest.

My initial plan was to save a few quid and get quartz, but in the end I bought the automatic and I've never regretted that decision.

I have a few quartz watches, from a Casio AE1200 up to a Breitling B-1, but the most common thing about them is how often they get passed over for wrist time in favour of an automatic.

Not because I don't like them (The B-1's finishing is remarkable), but because I know they are running fine and will, most probably, be doing so next time I think of wearing them.

I enjoy getting a mechanical watch out, winding it and seeing it spring into life.

Finally, most quartz watches tick once per second. It's irrational, but I far prefer the sweep of a mechanical watch.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I have both and to me they are different animals. I actually prefer the quartz tick for timing things, the automatic “sweep” is fine but if timing a lot and it‘s important(why would you time anything unless it’s important?) then quartz tick is easier for me to discern.
Both mechanical and quartz are important parts of the history of watches horologically. My opinion is that mechanicals will always be desirable because of the interaction a person has with an automatic or hand wind mechanical watch. The watch relies on the human for power whereas a quartz will happily tick away in a dark closet for years.
Mechanicals are like dogs and quartz are like cats.

edit: typos

·
Registered
128 Posts
My answer would be YES, except that I only buy quartz. Sometimes the same watch, such as the forthcoming Straton Comp Diver, is available either way, so I ordered the quartz. Some great watches, maybe even most great watches, are available with automatic movements only. I don't buy them.

In practice, many manufacturers use quartz for their chronos, even if they use automatics for their 3-handers and GMTs. So, my collection of 30+ watches is way over-represented by chronos.
Very true. A quartz chrono is cheaper to produce. Even the lowliest brand might have a quartz chrono. Im assuming we're speaking about analog. Then there various levels of quality of quartz chrono. Then theres the mechanical. All three handers and GMTs are reasonable enough to produce. But when you get into mechanical chrono, complication jumps up. Then finally if you go auto with a chrono you're in that territory of the decent luxury watch- my experience is that these divisions are always this way.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts