WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

If your favourite watches were available in an otherwise identical quartz version, would you swap?

• Yes

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 89 76.7%
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm sure I'm being heretical in some way because it is such an awesome mechanical watch but I would absolutely love a Quartz (HAQ) version of the Omega Railmaster (with its existing styling, no date, etc).

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been having this debate with myself recently, and I've come to the conclusion that while, no, I wouldn't swap out my autos for a quartz identical to them, I would have some quartzes in my collection.

As it stands, I have able 1/2 and 1/2.

my next acquition that's incoming is an auto.

the one I'm considering getting along with it is a cheap (less than $200) timex quartz…

Make of that what you will…
Nothing wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I voted yes only because I recently Got a GS spring drive and I'm smitten with it. I would not change a thing about it. I wouldn't want to see a Rolex sub quartz though so maybe a Both option was the preferred choice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
While i wouldn´t want to swap any of my Autos for a quartz movement, i did purchase a Sbbn031 Tuna, with the fully serviceable, jeweled high torque quartz 7C46 movement, and love it! Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Hi all

Hypothetical question I've been pondering for a while.

If your favourite watch/watches were available in a version that is 100% identical to your automatic mechanical watch, with the same finish/materials/details, but the only difference was that instead of a mechanical movement, there was a quartz movement inside, would you buy it/swap your current watches for them?

Obviously for automatic watches with see-through glass casebacks, this may not be entirely possible.

8 years ago I was getting into luxury watches, and bought my first Omega, which was an opaline Aqua Terra Co-axial 8500 which I still have today. Back then I had only just learnt about how mechanical watches work, and watching the second hand making smooth movements rather than ticking at 1-second intervals gave me great satisfaction.

Currently I own 3 modern SMPs (AT 8500, SMPc, and the original Pierce Brosnan 'GoldenEye' SMP quartz). I also own 4 vintage Omegas which I wear occasionally.

My AT's movement broke after 71/2 years, with the hour wheel failing, such that the hour hand was not advancing. I took it in for a service which cost me AU$830 (US$630). It should be good to go for another 7-8 years.

But lately I just can't get over how much more convenient a quartz movement is. The battery died twice in the 8 years I've had it, and each time I put in a $3 battery myself and I set my automatic watches against it.

So the question is, if your favourite watches were available in quartz versions, everything else being identical, would you swap your automatic watches for them?

The benefits of a quartz movement are obvious - unbeatable accuracy, ultra low cost maintenance ($6 vs $630 over a course of 8 or so years), but purists and watch lovers could write a book about the allure of the mechanical movement.

Years ago when I was an automatic watch snob I would have said NO, but now I doubt it will be that easy. In fact I'm now 50:50.
Heh, absolutely not! I've been burned by quartz watches one too many times.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I'd wear a quartz Explorer II as a beater. It would be pretty cool to have the profile of that watch in something well built and as shock proof as a quartz.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like both! So when I can its one of each! My favorite watch is the Marathon GSAR in arctic white, I also have the quartz TSAR but in black.

View attachment 15965507
I have actually just switched from that to G shock. Absolutely love my gsar. But I cringe so hard when I bang it into stuff which happens often. So G shock. I guess i'm not old enough to enjoy autos just yet...

·
Registered
107 Posts
While i wouldn´t want to swap any of my Autos for a quartz movement, i did purchase a Sbbn031 Tuna, with the fully serviceable, jeweled high torque quartz 7C46 movement, and love it! Cheers
The 7C46 is a heck of a movement. About as far as you could get with a quartz movement.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I understand this is a Hypothetical Question. Both mechanical and Quartz have their pros and cons. Not that I am a Watch Snob, but I really don’t have much use for the < $1000. mechanical watches, give me a Quartz 7C46 Seiko movement instead. Higher end, mechanical different story. The same with Quartz movements, they are not all the same. Cheap Quartz does nothing for me also. If you had Two watches, both the same model at $500. One mechanical, one Quartz, I would probably choose the quartz, because of the accuracy. Vance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For me sports = quartz, so yes I've often drooled over chronographs and divers that I love but won't buy because I wish they were quartz. On the other hand I will always want a few mechanicals so that I can enjoy traditional horology too - especially dress watches.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Absolutely love high-end quartz watches (Omega for example). To me, they combine the same high quality build and appearance of their automatic counterparts with the ease of ownership and low maintenance costs of quartz. It puzzles me why so many people look down on them to the point that their would rather have the most basic mass-produced automatic movements instead.

This quartz shunning attitude though has helped keep prices of quartz watches quite low in comparison to their automatic equivalents, sometimes they are half the price.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not for me. I love watching the smooth movement of the automatic movement

Reactions: Artek

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
if your favorite sports car is due to the note of the engine and someone offered it as an electric model, it would not be the same, the sound of my movement is something i really like
except for the early hummers nothing else is the same, not just sight,,, but sound for me

·
Registered
10,735 Posts
If it was a super high quality & highly accurate movement, (5 seconds per year) like the legendary Grand Seiko 9f movement, yes!
Problem is, the term, 'Quartz' can often be associated with a cheap & nasty, low quality movements.
If it's a 'luxury' brand, then I want a 'luxury' movement inside it, too.

·
Registered
10,735 Posts
For me sports = quartz, so yes I've often drooled over chronographs and divers that I love but won't buy because I wish they were quartz. On the other hand I will always want a few mechanicals so that I can enjoy traditional horology too - especially dress watches.
My old Grand Seiko quartz, a dress watch too! (y) :)

Reactions: Model_Citizen

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Yes definitely. Especially an HAQ. I have 3 Grand Seiko HAQ watches and they look just as good as their auto or spring drive "counterparts"...of course not exact replicas...but all with the same GS quality.

My SBGV245 is a great GADA 200m HAQ.

SBGN009 Limited...just a gorgeous watch...I use it as my dress watch.

SBGX117 The size of diver GS should have been making all along. 42mm goodness.

My brand new SBGE255....The best of both worlds...spring drive.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 66 Posts