WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

If your favourite watches were available in an otherwise identical quartz version, would you swap?

• Yes

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 89 76.7%
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes, maybe, but...
I did just this with my 2254 to a 2264. But it's not a regular wearer for me, is often worn in a bit rougher situations - I didn't like having to wind it up and set the time every time I wanted to wear it for a bit, figured the quartz movement is likely more durable and it has lower servicing/maintenance costs.
My main wearer, a Rolex Explorer II 16570 is automatic and I don't think I'd change that. Maybe, not really sure actually.
The current batch of new Omega automatics do not interest me at all. Their thickness is ridiculous. I'd take a quartz over them every time, thank you.
I also like manual winds - despite not liking to wind and set the time on my automatics, there's something about doing it on a manual wind that's quiet charming.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry for the thread resurrection but I have to say I’m surprised and pleased that the poll shows over 20% would swap to a quartz in their favourite watch. This is far higher than I would have guessed.

For me my favourite watch is quartz and my beater, but for convenience I’d rather have my occasional watches as quartz as I wouldn’t have to wind them before wearing. Ironically all of my occasional watches are auto as they’re my “special” ones like my dress watch and my dressy sports watch. There is a certain sense of occasion with these but when you’re in a rush it’s a a PITA to have to wind and see them.
I wear the same watch for 90% of the time so I wouldn’t mind this as an auto.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I do worry about my expensive (to me) autos - submariner and coaxial bond watch. To the point that I recently sold the sub and am contemplating selling the Omega. With the sub, the increase in its value also made me uncomfortable wearing it let alone using it as a tool watch as intended.

That said, I have no concerns with my Seikos. I have four Seiko autos including a SARB035 and three divers. I’m fine beating the tar out of the divers and if one fails oh well. I have a story to tell (will probably never get to tell that story, the Seiko’s just don’t die) but at their price I don’t sweat it.

I have added a Quartz as my daily wear but do wear the autos as well.

·
Premium Member
Sinn, B&R by Sinn, Seiko, GS, Junghans, Guinand
149 Posts
This is such a good question! I have only two ‘quality’ quartz watches, a Grand Seiko and a Bell & Ross by Sinn Demineur. They are beautiful, as well made as my mechanicals, and I love them whenever I wear them. They were also slightly less expensive than their mechanical equivalents. But I rarely reach for them because I somehow think they are ‘lesser’ for being quartz. I gotta change that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Each have their own purpose and can be enjoyed either way.

I will say though, as an electrical engineer, to me the technology and engineering feats of quartz, particularly solar and high accuracy quartz, are higher and more "magical" than mechanical.
I'm an EE too, but I've got a different view. To me "index a stepper once a second" feels like a tired, solved problem. The mechanics and materials science of a tiny spring and wheel keeping 10 ppm accuracy is more like magic.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
I voted no because you asked about my favorite. My favorite are mechanical.

In reality, Ive turned my collection towards more quartz pieces. I have 4 watch winders spots (2 duals) and sticking there. My quartz seem to get more wrist time as of late...even just took a trip to LA and only brought/wore my SMPm quartz.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts