WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one.jpg

I only recently came across WUS's forum and I'm really impressed by the community of fellow enthusiasts who all seem to share the same obsessive love for beautiful timepieces as I do. Until now I never considered myself a WIS, but perhaps I'm in denial. Or maybe denying it was just a defense mechanism to keep my wife from getting pissed off even though she is kinda cute when she's angry. Anyway, I've owned this Ikepod Megapode MG04 for quite a few years now. It is so pristine, and expensive (for me at least), that I've been reluctant to actually wear it for fear of scratching/damaging it knowing full well that repairing it would be a nightmare since it has been out of production for some time. But recently I adopted a "you only live once" attitude and decided to take it out of the box, put it on my wrist and go. How liberating. Here are my impressions.

The Box:
The packaging has presence...ok, it's massive. When you find yourself buying a watch like this, you expect something out of the ordinary and you definitely get that experience with the Ikepod. It has a velvet type of fabric lining on the disc-shaped box that contains the watch and papers. It's impressive to see the watch centered in this large black disc when you open it, but nothing about this is practical. Of course, practicality is not the point. I was reminded of that fact when I purchased the watch abroad, went to the airport, then had to be extra careful with everything I did because it didn't fit on my carry-on and it's not the type of item you leave behind when you have to go to the bathroom.

two.jpg

Fit:
The diameter is 46mm, and it is the largest watch I have. Although it doesn't feel or look that big because the continuous disc shape is soft, round, and whatever hard edges other watches have all fall away which makes it seem smaller than it is. The Megapode is actually comfortable, but putting it requires some serious dexterity because you need to thread the rubber strap through a thin opening to secure the post.

three.jpg

Materials & Design:
Marc Newson is the designer of this piece. He takes no shortcuts when it comes to use of material or sophistication of design process. The casing is constructed of solid titanium, machined to drop in the ETA/Valijoux 7750 movement from the front. As such, there are no partlines on the rear of the body. Only a small, space-portal type window that lets you see the movement's beating heart. The brushed finish on the titanium is super fine, almost like a needle was used on the lathe. The result is a deep sheen that has a satin-like quality when you rotate the watch and catch surface reflections. The domed sapphire glass completes the unified form. It is so pure and clear that it doesn't even look like there is glass in some pictures. I don't know how they attached it to the casing, but it is clean, seamless, and beautiful.

four.jpg
five.jpg

Writing this reminds my why I was so hesitant to wear it for so many years. It's like a work of art that could live the rest of its life on a pedestal, but then I wouldn't enjoy it. When I wear it, one of two things happen: 1) nothing. It goes complete unnoticed, or 2) people say, "is that an Ikepod? I never actually seen one". Now I have the task of making sure it stays mint so my boy can one day wear it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Great review, pics and philosophical meanderings included - wear your 'beast' in great health!

Reactions: five11am
1 - 5 of 5 Posts