WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am 18 and just very recently started collecting watches. This is my first post - here is my collection so far...
I have a watch that says Omega and Tissot on it... and I also have an Omega watch that says "Made in U.S.A" is that normal for an Omega watch to be made in the USA?

Also take a look at my Benrus watch with an old family picture!

* Sterling silver Waltham pocket watch and a rolex military trench watch from WW1

Also I included a picture of a lot of watches I got in the mail today...
Brands include: Solar, mignon, bulova, fontaine, cort, lorie, gruen, and birks.

I have more watches on the way - I buy all of my watches on eBay... I don't wear any of these watches though, because many of them are ladies watches. But I hope to get a nice men's Omega watch some day...
Do I have any valuable watches in my collection so far?

Looking forward to your comments :)

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that's worth mentioning - because I wear a cheap digital timex watch right now, haha :)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Very nice collection! I have almost the same Seiko "DJ", except with a champagne dial. It's a great watch!

·
Premium Member
21,877 Posts
Is there a reason why you're buying these vintage ladies' watches?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Very very nice. Some beautiful watches there.
I'd say you're a true collector rather than a wearer of watches. In the same way one might collect coins or stamps.

Welcome to the forums!

Reactions: omegaaa

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To answer your question, mleok... Obviously not for wear - but for collecting, and for the brand name, I can still appreciate a women's Omega watch :)

·
Premium Member
21,877 Posts
To answer your question, mleok... Obviously not for wear - but for collecting, and for the brand name, I can still appreciate a women's Omega watch :)
Do you open the casebacks and look at the movements? I recall getting a preowned Omega Deville which I wasn't so fond of wearing, but I did find the movement fascinating to watch.

Reactions: omegaaa

·
Registered
549 Posts
No offense, but I suspect that in the future, you will be one of those people who put a box full of random old watches up for sale. 100 watches for $20

·
Registered
627 Posts
No offense, but I suspect that in the future, you will be one of those people who put a box full of random old watches up for sale. 100 watches for $20
I wouldn’t go that far but there is truth here. Building a pile of random things isn’t necessarily a collection. I think there are a few questions you need to answer yourself before getting too invested in the current direction.

What is the purpose of the collection?
What is the end game?
What is the plan for servicing the collection?
Will there be a focus or plan going forward?

So far, it looks like you are amassing watches with the accuracy of a shotgun. Vintage watches especially need some degree of knowledge or research to build any kind of value in a collection. For instance, if you cannot verify that Omega made women’s watches in the USA, that watch is worth exactly $0. eBay is not exactly famous for reputable sellers selling 100% legit and original product.

Not that there is much of a market for vintage cocktail watches in the first place. I have a number of these ladies models but only because my wife wears them. Only a couple of them are worth the cost of their own service cost. The others have little value. I have them serviced so they can be worn but they are a huge money sink with no tangible value otherwise.

I am concerned that you will become disheartened if you build a build a pile of broken, worthless junk. More research, more knowledge and a defining focus may help you avoid that fate.

·
Premium Member
21,877 Posts
C'mon man it's 2018!
I just don’t understand the point of spending money on watches that cost more to service than they’re worth, and which the OP won’t wear. If, as the OP states, he would like to get a men’s Omega, then a nice vintage Omega men’s dress watch can be had on eBay for a few hundred dollars, and that would probably be a more sensible buy than a random collection of watches which have seen better days and are long overdue for servicing.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Edited for brevity (although Davemcc’s original post was a very good post)

I wouldn’t go that far but there is truth here.

I am concerned that you will become disheartened if you build a build a pile of broken, worthless junk.
Which will most likely lead to my aforementioned box of 100 random watches put up for sale for $20 (less eBay fees of course) ;-):)

·
Premium Member
21,877 Posts
Wouldn’t the gold cased Rolex trench watch, if authentic, be worth a bit of money? At least a couple of hundred dollars if previous eBay sales are anything to go by.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you are going for a nice Men's Omega, why not save your money a bit and go for one instead of spending on several smaller pieces which collectively adds up? You can get a vintage Omega Seamaster for a couple of hundred dollars on the bay.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts