WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

New to the forum and I have been looking at watches forever can't decide on one. First, I know most people here know more about watches than I ever will so please do not take offense to anything I say. I'm looking for a watch that I can wear for causal and to work. I work as a Enterprise Application Administrator in accounting so my normal work attire is a banana republic button down and chinos, so not real dressy. More business casual. For casual I'm usually wearing jeans with vans, and a t shirt with a jacket or sometimes a casual button down.

I really do not want to come off as a naive douche, but I'm going to post a picture of myself to kinda show my casual style. Im 5 11, 140 lbs so I have a smaller wrist. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get a leather band or metal band. I'm looking at a diesel or fossil and only want to spend $150 or so. I know those aren't the most prestigious watches but I feel they fit my style but then I don't know because I'm just at the age where I'm trying to get my style right. Im fighting with being young, but also white collar but yet want to be cool at the same time.

sorry if this doesn't make sense but I will post pics below of the watches I'm looking at. Please don't make fun, I'm just looking for help.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
Between those two, I'd choose the first one with the blue dial. But I'm a 55 year old man, so perhaps you should choose the other if you don't want to wear an old man watch! :)

Seriously, pick the one that makes you happy. At this price range, they should all be around the same quality, and since they are heavily stylized, if it craps out in a few years, I doubt you'll mind. In fact, if you hang around here too much, you'll have 10 other watches by that time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome.

And wow, you gota loosen up a bit! You sound really self concious..

Anyway, the two watches seem a liitle on the casual side to me. But if you really like them, why not? If you really want to use the same watch for both casual and dressy, switching out the straps works miraculously.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome.

And wow, you gota loosen up a bit! You sound really self concious..

Anyway, the two watches seem a liitle on the casual side to me. But if you really like them, why not? If you really want to use the same watch for both casual and dressy, switching out the straps works miraculously.
Thanks for the advice sir!

Im actually pretty confident I just like to show respect to others so didn't want to offend watch gurus. :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
which fossil watches are you considering? diesel watches are normally extremely large in size, so they might not be a good fit for your small wrists.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Check out Orient. Great in house automatic. Very affordable. I recommend the Golden Eye Tan dial

Or the Bambino back dial

I wear similar to what you wear to work, sometimes a suit. I usually wear my orient duty

My Uhren von Uhr Flieger

Bulova Precisionist Langford

Or my incursore iii

Anything really works with that attire.

For 150 the orients and Bulova are in that range. Have fun and let the addiction begin!

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
20,018 Posts
Just pick a watch and go with it. Your tastes will evolve no matter what, so you might not like the same watch ten years from now. Or maybe you'll still enjoy it, and you'll save money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
which fossil watches are you considering? diesel watches are normally extremely large in size, so they might not be a good fit for your small wrists.
i know what you mean. Most of the diesel watches are 57mm which would look immensely big on my wrist. The two I posted are 46mm and 49mm which would be about the right size for my wrist I think but I'm open to suggestions.

I have been been looking at the Fossil Nates.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Der2, welcome!

You might find some similar threads on the forum - people asking "what's a good watch for XX price?" That might help, or it might totally confuse you.

Honestly I think your best bet is take a look around, see what watches you like and go from there. You can always ask the people here about a specific watch if you want to know more. The main thing is to find something you like, and that you feel suits your style.

Let us know how you go! I'd love to see what you pick. All the best, Mike

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The watch brands you chose are very much fashion brands and likely won't hold up too well with time. For $150 you COULD get a nice automatic watch that will last you a long time. I would personally go with a Seiko 5 if I were you... People here who own $10,000 watches will see no shame in strapping on a seiko 5 for the workweek or whenever they see fit... I highly doubt you'll see many fossil or diesels in their watch boxes though. Not sure if that helps or if you care about that or not, but just from a watch type persons perspective it'll give you an idea of respect.

This particular seiko 5 is about $100

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Seiko and orient should be on the short list for auto. Citizen eco drive for quartz. These are by far and away the best values in this price range in my opinion. Fossil and diesel.....no.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
How about a Seiko solar diver? Never needs a battery. Pretty functional. If you want a busier-looking watch with a lot going on, you might also look at the Casio Edifice line.

I'll add my +1 to the Swatch Sistem 51, and the Helgray, and the Seiko 5.

1328774685-SOLAR.jpg

·
Banned
270 Posts
Just affect a wizened thousand-yard stare and no one would be able to tell you're not a guru yourself :p

Like everyone will no doubt say, just go with what you feel. I wear watches which on my tiny arms look oversized, so there's no problem when you want to go bigger (or in my case 'normal, but it just looks big!')...but I'll second, third and tenth the Seiko/Citizen and Orient push here. Look into the Seiko 007; it's the perfect dress up or down watch, and I can attest to their ability to take an absolute beating!

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Im not particularly a fan of either of those. That said I prefer fossil to diesel in general. That's a tough price range, but if you want to go mechanical orient or seiko are your best best. If you're good with quartz citizen has some decent offerings.

If you want to up your price range a bit there's a lot of great options. Hamilton, Seiko's SARB line, and various micro brands.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You like dark dials I can see. What else are you going to be doing with your watch? Is it strictly for work and hanging out? You seem to gravitate toward large, loud pieces.

Couple of recommendations:

Seiko 5 SNZF53

SNZF53K1-2T.jpg

Seiko SKS421

seiko-chronograph-black-dial-stainless-steel-mens-watch-sks421-25.jpg

Citizen AT2187-51E

281800502_MV_ZM.jpg

Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
In the <$200 bracket, Seiko gives incredible value. I also like J Crew's Timex, particularly the Andros and Military when they're on sale (which is frequent with J Crew's discount codes).

But you should seriously consider an automatic watch where the back of the case is made of glass so that you can have a peak at the mesmerizing "movements" of a mechanical movement: the springs, gears, balance wheel and rotor interacting to keep time. It's a peak into humanity' history and engineering genius, the result of centuries of achievements all encapsulated into a useful every day object right there on your wrist.

SKX007 (all black) or SKX009 (blue/red)
$T2eC16JHJGEFFm(mN(jBBSFHobeMuw~~60_35.JPG

Or SNZH55 (black) or SNZH53 (blue)

Or my favorite: SNZF15
snzf15j1-b.jpg

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just a heads up about black on black dials: they look fine in the online pictures but in real life can be difficult to read. I was looking at a Citizen Eco drive that looked awesome online, then when I went and tried it on couldn't read it at all. I recommend going to a department store like Macy's and seeing what size fits you. Personally we are about the same size and I wear 42mm.

Also, do not buy an Invicta watch. They might look nice initially but are cheaply made and recognizably ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts