WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the topic title.. Want to try one but a little worried it'll look ridiculous.

Anyone else the wrong side of 40 who wears G-Shocks?

Looking at this one:

casio-g-shock-gd-x6900-collection-1.jpg

(GD-X6900)

Because it has the classic '3 eye' display, while still being a bit different, with the inverted LCD, larger size and transparent case/strap. And no crazy colors so I can wear it to the office.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm 43 and wear many different Gs. Do people think I look ridiculous? No idea. Maybe some, but I'm sure most people have there own issues and insecurities to worry about than care what's on my wrist. If you want one go for it. Nice choice btw.
Beware though, if you do get one you are unlikely to stop there!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Haha, I think you can easily pass under the radar.

P.S.
That model the 6900XL is more closely associated with the Eminem release (the GDX6900 'MNM')!

P.S.S.
I think Justin Beiber 'style' is two gold Rolex watches- one on the left and one on the right wrist ( yes i am serious) in yet another example that style is no way synonymous with class!

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
45yr old father of two (8 and 5) and I wear them. I do tend to stay on the less flashy side of the color spectrum, but that is just me. I do wear yellow, green, blue, red, grey, orange, and of course black. There are lots of members who wear colorful, or multi-colored G's with suits and pull it off no problem.
That GDX in jelly grey is a good looking watch. Yes that resin is called jelly resin. Not unlike the shoes the girls wore when we were younger.

Look through here and see what it will look like on your wrist.
https://www.google.com/search?q=watch+u+seek+gdx-6900+images&biw=1366&bih=651&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=RjqQVOTJGe_LsATjpIJI&ved=0CB0QsAQ

·
Registered
554 Posts
52 on Friday. I've got that G-Shock and 7 more. Ride a huge noisy bike, go to at least one rock/pop concert each month. Wear t-shirts and trainers to work (electronic engineer) and me and my buddies enjoy endless schoolboy banter and jokes. YOLO do what you want. Anyone who sees fit to sneer at your enjoyment of life is a 'sad sack' to be pitied more than anything else.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
52 on Friday. I've got that G-Shock and 7 more. Ride a huge noisy bike, go to at least one rock/pop concert each month. Wear t-shirts and trainers to work (electronic engineer) and me and my buddies enjoy endless schoolboy banter and jokes. YOLO do what you want. Anyone who sees fit to sneer at your enjoyment of life is a 'sad sack' to be pitied more than anything else.
Happy birthday mate |>

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm 65, and I wear one almost every day.

Today I happen to be wearing a Citizen A-T because I have an appointment that made me want to look a little more dressed up. Here are my rules of thumb:

1) Weddings, Funerals, Meetings with Royalty -> Panerai, GP, Grand Seiko
2) Business Meetings where I am presenting, and the company dresses informally -> Citizen
3) Casual Business Meeting -> G Shock
4) Daily Wear -> [one of my hundred or so solar/atomic G Shocks, or occasionally a Casio WaveCeptor]
5) Working Out -> G Shocks

So my basic rules are wear automatics if you are wearing a suit and tie, otherwise wear solar atomic that fits the social occasion.

I know that many of my compatriots here would count it heresy not to advocate G for every occasion, but even my MR-G 8100, prized possession that it is, does not fit, by my lights, in some circumstances.

Anyway, that's how I pick watches, and there is absolutely no reason why anyone else should do anything but what they want to do.

I think Gs are the best value overall, and are fine for practically any situation.

My ProTreks reading this post [about 8] are undoubtedly nervous that they were not mentioned. I have no need of the altitude/compass/temperature features, although I have done plenty of hiking in the Alps when I lived in Switzerland. But I like the large digits and they have a niche role to play. They need to come to grips with their more supportive part in the play.

As per the topic title.. Want to try one but a little worried it'll look ridiculous.

Anyone else the wrong side of 40 who wears G-Shocks?

Looking at this one:

View attachment 2338866

(GD-X6900)

Because it has the classic '3 eye' display, while still being a bit different, with the inverted LCD, larger size and transparent case/strap. And no crazy colors so I can wear it to the office.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
if you live life according to other people,s wishes than you may have problem but if you are a "free" bird than age is nothing.age is just state of the mind.
and I never wore watch for fashion since the begining.i wear watches for my personal benefits ,not to please others...

as for Justin bieber reference.all I can say iso|:-d

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm 65, and I wear one almost every day.

Today I happen to be wearing a Citizen A-T because I have an appointment that made me want to look a little more dressed up. Here are my rules of thumb:

1) Weddings, Funerals, Meetings with Royalty -> Panerai, GP, Grand Seiko
2) Business Meetings where I am presenting, and the company dresses informally -> Citizen
3) Casual Business Meeting -> G Shock
4) Daily Wear -> [one of my hundred or so solar/atomic G Shocks, or occasionally a Casio WaveCeptor]
5) Working Out -> G Shocks

I think Gs are the best value overall, and are fine for practically any situation.

I wore my g shocks even in "number 1" situation you mentioned....the thing is that if your personality is ok than people don't look at your wrists:-!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Beg to differ, but that's what makes the world go round. :)

In large multinationals, there is good reason to "fit in." You can wear a propeller beanie and sneakers too, but it is best to stand out for other reasons.

You live in a more beneficent professional environment than I did if an okay personality was the end of the scrutiny. :)

I wore my g shocks even in "number 1" situation you mentioned....the thing is that if your personality is ok than people don't look at your wrists:-!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts