WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Cats,
Today is a good day today, I got my vintage Wittnauer back and I'm a happy camper indeed. This is another of my $1 finds, when I found it was running but not well, the glass was broken and it was a filthy mess. I got wind of a legend in watchmaking in our city and set out to find him. With success in finding Jim I asked him if he could fix this for me and he told me he was extremely busy with his watch workload, this man is retired and about 80 yrs old and still as steady as a rock. With a little convincing he agreed to overhaul my precious Witnauer.
It needed a cleaning, new glass fitted, balance staff jewel replacement and something else I can't remember right now. He did all of this for a whopping $65!!! I couldn't believe my ears.

So without further blabbing on my part on with the pics and a couple questions, what year is this watch, and is the movement anything special? Right now the whole piece gleams like a finely cut gem, I very excited.

Also he's very interested in having a look at that Wyda, the name is unfamiliar to him and he'd like to see it. He said it's nat a problem fixing the mainspring and he also said a new glass shouldn't be too hard to find. For wat he charged me for this I'm thinking I'd better get that Wyda to him quick :)
Well anyway enough of my yacking, I look forward to your info and comments.
Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Certainly you got an excellent bargain for that much work and expertise. Well done! Hopefully your watchmaker will keep going for a few more years.
I'd guess the Wittnauer is late 1940s to early 1950s. My reasoning is that it is a seventeen jewel movement at least and those usually mean 1940s. Longines and Wittnauer merged in the 1930s according to my sources.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Jim isn't in it for the $$, he does for the art and love of timepieces from what I can tell from our conversation. Watchmaking wasn't even his job, it's something he does as a hobby. I'm told he's popular with the Rolex guys in town. Why send it to them for a $600 service whne he probably does it for half that if what he did to this Wittnauer is any indication. I look forward to the result on the Wyda.
Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hi -

Get all of your watches worked on for those prices! He really is doing it for love, because he's not really making any money at it...

JohnF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts