WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave May 27 and arrive May 28 in Beijing to meet up with Li Wei of the China Horologe Association, then...

• June 1st: Shijiazhuang with my brother Ma Rong,
  • June 6th: Luoyang and Xinmi, with my ex-guide, now friend, Sky Han, and with Li Jiushun, the older gentleman who first befriended me in 2013 and whom I visited in 2015 (well, older than most folks I know in China--Li Jiushun is younger than me :) )
  • June 9th: Fenghuang (never been there before, see the photos below),
  • June 14th between Guilin and Yangshuo (I've booked rooms in both places so I can go back and forth at will--it's really pretty around there),
  • June 19th in Shenzhen to meet up with Joel Chan of Micmicmor Vintage Watch and see the China Watch and Clock Fair, including meets with Robin Tallendier and Wilfried Buiron of Atalier Wen , but also all my friends with the CHA and the Guangzhou Watch and Clock Association, too, and MCH and Longio--and anyone else who will take time to see me :).
  • June 23rd...I'm not sure exactly but I have to be back in Beijing June 28th to fly home.

Here's a few photos of Fenghuang (I'll take my own when I get there)...

(Not my photos)

Evidently it gets lit up all purty at night...

I have valued friends everywhere else I'm visiting in China, now that I have a few visits behind me, but my days in Fenghuang, and my time between Guilin and Yangshuo, are pure relaxed solo tourist time.

I've been to Guilin and Yangshuo before but, for example, I only had a single afternoon in Yangshuo and as soon as I got there I knew I was at the very least a day or two short of what it deserved.

And Fenghuang...I mean: just look at the place. It's old, it's a "water town", lots of it is on stilts, there's a bunch of bridges (some of them just pylons to step on), and I have a very decent room right on the river for five nights for just over $200 total :) As soon as I saw the photos I knew I had to go.

I'll keep you all posted as I travel, but I am so excited now that it's close I can almost taste the Chuan'er, Tofu Nao and Er Guo Tou.

·
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone!

Lucky indeed....spoil us with pics upon return.
I'll do my level best.

I highly recommend seeing China first hand, too, though :)

·
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, at ‘em Ron.

Very much look forward to the photos, the people, and, yes, to some watches.

Ric
Appreciate the support, Ric, as always!

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
I leave May 27 and arrive May 28 in Beijing to meet up with Li Wei of the China Horologe Association, then...

• June 1st: Shijiazhuang with my brother Ma Rong,
  • June 6th: Luoyang and Xinmi, with my ex-guide, now friend, Sky Han, and with Li Jiushun, the older gentleman who first befriended me in 2013 and whom I visited in 2015 (well, older than most folks I know in China--Li Jiushun is younger than me :) )
  • June 9th: Fenghuang (never been there before, see the photos below),
  • June 14th between Guilin and Yangshuo (I've booked rooms in both places so I can go back and forth at will--it's really pretty around there),
  • June 19th in Shenzhen to meet up with Joel Chan of Micmicmor Vintage Watch and see the China Watch and Clock Fair, including meets with Robin Tallendier and Wilfried Buiron of Atalier Wen , but also all my friends with the CHA and the Guangzhou Watch and Clock Association, too, and MCH and Longio--and anyone else who will take time to see me :).
  • June 23rd...I'm not sure exactly but I have to be back in Beijing June 28th to fly home.

Here's a few photos of Fenghuang (I'll take my own when I get there)...

(Not my photos)

Evidently it gets lit up all purty at night...

I have valued friends everywhere else I'm visiting in China, now that I have a few visits behind me, but my days in Fenghuang, and my time between Guilin and Yangshuo, are pure relaxed solo tourist time.

I've been to Guilin and Yangshuo before but, for example, I only had a single afternoon in Yangshuo and as soon as I got there I knew I was at the very least a day or two short of what it deserved.

And Fenghuang...I mean: just look at the place. It's old, it's a "water town", lots of it is on stilts, there's a bunch of bridges (some of them just pylons to step on), and I have a very decent room right on the river for five nights for just over $200 total :) As soon as I saw the photos I knew I had to go.

I'll keep you all posted as I travel, but I am so excited now that it's close I can almost taste the Chuan'er, Tofu Nao and Er Guo Tou.
Yes, the place looks old and run down. To be honest the north of England is pretty much the same !

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yes, the place looks old and run down. To be honest the north of England is pretty much the same !
Old? Yes! Amazing? Yes!

Run down? What the [email protected]#$ are you talking about?

This is what run down looks like:
912.jpg
1110.jpg

Back on topic. Ron, I am super excited for you. It looks like you have a great itinerary. Have you thought about going to Shanghai for the last week?
Perhaps you can meet up with the Shanghai watch group for dinner, and maybe a trip to YuYuan Garden or BaoShan market.
It would be nice to meet you in person.

·
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back on topic. Ron, I am super excited for you. It looks like you have a great itinerary. Have you thought about going to Shanghai for the last week?
Perhaps you can meet up with the Shanghai watch group for dinner, and maybe a trip to YuYuan Garden or BaoShan market.
I'd prefer that folks just understand I think Fenghuang looks beautiful and cherished, and I'm proud and thrilled to have 5 days there.

Shanghai is on my possible but not likely list this year, and I hope no one takes any offense. It *kills* me that I have friends, good and worthwhile friends, old and new, in China that I won't be able to see because I only have a month in a place I'd like to spend years, and I'm already playing catch-up with friends I missed previous years. I'm leaving things near the end of my trip flexible because I've known CWCF to lead to unexpected places/commitments and the CHA deserves my respect on that, especially given how well they've treated me and supported my curiousity over the past years.

I get around pretty well for my advancing age, but I also found that my last trips just left me over-tired and overwhelmed because I was changing cities every three or four days or so, with no real downtime during the month. so I've purposely slowed things down a bit this trip between hopping among friends in cities.

I'd love to meet you too (I love your contributions here at WUS) and if not this trip, then next...or you could always hop down to the CWCF :). And that goes for all my friends in the Shanghai Watch Group, too! I'll be *at* the China Watch and Clock fair, but my time in Shenzhen isn't *all* spoken for. I've had a super time with Shanghai collectors every time I've visited Shanghai (3 times during my past 5 trips). That said--a short Shanghai visit is not entirely impossible, and I appreciate the welcome more than you might know--I'll keep you posted.

·
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Old? Yes! Amazing? Yes!

Run down? What the [email protected]#$ are you talking about?

This is what run down looks like:
View attachment 14166375
View attachment 14166377

Yes, I think that may either be Bradford, or Barnsley. However, observing there is still some wear on the tyres in the first picture, I suspect it is indeed Bradford

Reactions: Ric Capucho
1 - 14 of 14 Posts