WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone....it's that time of year again! i've been here three years in a row and have purchased three awesome watches for my hubby from suggestions by members here! Now I'm thinking I'd like a watch with a blue face or something different. Not a dress watch for sure. He doesn't like metal link bands and i don't want to bother changing it, so it has to be purchased as is. So far his watches are:

Luminox
Stowa (black face)
Damasko (white face) - he loves this one!!!
Baume & Mercier (dress watch, gold)
And a junky Casio

Do you think it would be too much the same to get him a blue faced Damasko? I saw one I like....WatchMann.com Military Watches and Pilot Watches: Damasko DA36 Automatic Watch I'm just not sure if it's too much the same as the one he ones which is this one....WatchMann.com Military Watches and Pilot Watches: Damasko DA35 Automatic Watch.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Oh, and it needs to be 42mm or less. He has a thin wrist so a big watch is out.

Looking forward to your suggestions! You've all been so helpful and he's loved all the watches I've bought from suggestions here. Thanks much!!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
What's your budget? And does he have an opinion on complications? Assuming damasko money (~$1100-1200), I'm thinking maybe a valjoux movement chronograph?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's your budget? And does he have an opinion on complications? Assuming damasko money (~$1100-1200), I'm thinking maybe a valjoux movement chronograph?
Budget is up to $1500. I tried googling what you said, but I'm thinking this is the inner workings of a watch? I'm kind of clueless as to how to find watches with this movement? Not sure what you meant about complications. I'd prefer to have none haha. I do know he doesn't like real thick watches. I love the Laco but I know he wouldn't like those huge studs. Do you think it would be a welcome gift to get that Blue face damasko or as a watch collector, do you want something completely different each time?

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Complications are anything in addition to a 3 hand movement (HMS - hours, minutes, seconds)

Do you have a sister...???

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Complications are anything in addition to a 3 hand movement (HMS - hours, minutes, seconds)

Do you have a sister...???
Um no, lol. Well, I'm open to suggestions as far as the "complications". I know his favorite watch is the Damasko, then the Stowa, then the Luminox, then the Baume & Mercier. I'm thinking something with a brown band or a watch with a colored face of some sort. But none of those neon looking ones, lol. He's a guy's guy. :)

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Does he have any interests or hobbies? Maybe we could match a watch to one of those things.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He doesn't want a golf watch. He doesn't wear a watch when he golfs. I was looking at Hamiltons just now. Hmm... So what do you think about getting him another Damasko? He has a white faced one but I see they have a blue-faced one. Is that too similar? The Oceanus is cool with those glowing blue hands! But it's link-style band. I know for sure he doesn't like those. :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
He doesn't want a golf watch. He doesn't wear a watch when he golfs. I was looking at Hamiltons just now. Hmm... So what do you think about getting him another Damasko? He has a white faced one but I see they have a blue-faced one. Is that too similar? The Oceanus is cool with those glowing blue hands! But it's link-style band. I know for sure he doesn't like those. :(
Hmm, how about Christopher Ward? I know a lot of collectors like variety, he might too.

C61 Trident-Pro Automatic, Blue Bezel, Black Strap - Christopher Ward

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Do you think it would be too much the same to get him a blue faced Damasko? I saw one I like....WatchMann.com Military Watches and Pilot Watches: Damasko DA36 Automatic
Hello Laura; I hope all is well. Welcome back to the forum. A quick note on the Damasko, which you have linked to - it is a black dial, not blue, as referenced in your post.

Here are some suggestions, from some of the forum favorite brands (all far under your budget and all excellent value / dollar) -

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I like your thought of going with a touch of Blue... Here's my suggestion

Oris Aquis

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I like your thought of going with a touch of Blue... Here's my suggestion

Oris Aquis
That's a good suggestion, the other Max beat me to it, as I was going to suggest that too! Don't worry, you can get it on a rubber band!

In regards to just getting him a blue faced Damasko that's similar to the one he already has, yes I think that's boring. The more variety the better IMO!

Good luck, let us know what you end up getting for him!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only thing is he doesn't like those link bands. :(. Grrr I wish he did because I love some of them lol. What about if I up my range to $2500? I really would like to get something decent, not too heavy and maybe with some complications. That would be different for him.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
The only thing is he doesn't like those link bands. :(. Grrr I wish he did because I love some of them lol. What about if I up my range to $2500? I really would like to get something decent, not too heavy and maybe with some complications. That would be different for him.
Also comes like this:

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
I vote Laco Kiel from Island Watch. $1475 I think. 7750 and LOTS of history. Definitely a great collector's piece.

I just received a major competitor today, the Steinhart Nav B chrono 47mm. It's cheaper and a bit bigger, which appealed to me. But there's no question the Laco is better.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Maybe Longines Hydroconquest in blue? 41mm. Comes standard on a metal bracelet, but it would be relatively inexpensive to put a different strap on it.

147406d1228769592-just-received-ad-brand-new-longines-hydroconquest-hydro-2.jpg

1 - 20 of 71 Posts