1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Just read their "history" on their web-page, and found this paragraph: (History)

"The house achieved such levels of fame and exclusive refinement that the leading clock and watch manufacturers of the epoch engraved its name together with their own on the faces of the watches they sold, just like Tiffany in New York and Cartier in Paris, thus raising the name’s category to place it alongside that of the “creme” of the world’s best watch-makers, making it even more famous and sought after."

So would seem to be legit.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,158 Posts
True - but at the same time, that's a relatively unpretentious ETA movement inside. Can't read the calibre number under the balance wheel, unfortunately (and close to midnight, I'm not going to rummage through Ranfft's pink pages to find it).....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yikes! If that's the level of decoration acceptable inside a UN, colour me surprised. Even back then I thought they'd gussy it up a little. 'Unpretentious' indeed!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi out there,

remember the quartz crisis. In that time many honorable manufacturers used quite
pedestrian movements from lage scale production.

For instance Blancpain squeezed the cheapest available AS automatic into their
Fity Fathoms, and others didn't better. In this correlation an ETA 2789 with jewelled
automatic assembly (21 or 25 jewels though) has already a certain distance from the
bottom.

Anyway, large scale produced movements are part of the watch history, and therefore
collectible. But I'd not pay such difference to a no-name watch with better finish.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
never mind....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts