WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. I have watch issues. I don't do digital and analog quartz watches always stop when I wear them-- sometimes its within minutes, and sometimes they run for several months, until the battery needs changing and then they work wonderfully as long as I am not wearing them. Other family members are the same way. The one watch I didn't have this issue with was an old, cheap timex mechanical wind watch that I wore for a couple of years as a teen until it litterally fell apart (the dial wore and fell off). But it kept the time until then! So I'm going back to that style.

My daily wear isn't always gentle. I'm clumsy. I work with kids. Stuff happens, and I happen to stuff that I wear.

Because I'm ultra picky, I started looking at different watches based on style-- I feel somewhat strongly about a square/rectangle case. Because I have big wrists, I looked at men's watches. I found about three or four brands that are interesting. These are the affordable chinese factory made kinds that have websites that talk about inflated MSRPs and watchmaking legacies.

So I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea on these brands overall in terms of quality and durability? I'm looking at Wohler, Jean Rousseau, Louis Richard, and Stuhrling. To my untrained eye, they all seem about the same. So I'd appreciate any insight or ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. :)

One thing I would point out is that automatic and manual-wind (mechanical) watches are relatively fragile as compared to quartz watches. I don't know what kind of 'stuff happens' to your quartz watches to make them stop working but I'm guessing if there's a lot of dropping, banging, thumping and other shock related stuff, a mechanical watch likely will not fair any better than a quartz watch.

You could certainly try a cheap one and see how well it holds up, but I'm guessing not as well as quartz.

Sorry I can't be any more helpful as far as the watches you've chosen since I have never owned any of those brands.

·
11,612 Posts
Stuhrling is the most established of those brands, and several people here do own them. The rest are 'mushroom brands' as far as I know. Ask over at the Chinese mechanical watch area and they will set you up with a tough watch. I say go Russian for tough mechanicals. Great watches for $35-$75.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Hi, I'm new here. I have watch issues. I don't do digital and analog quartz watches always stop when I wear them-- sometimes its within minutes,
Are you a super hero or something?

Seriously, post more information about your price range, etc.... and folks here will help point you in the correct direction. The brands that you listed are not highly regarded around here, with the fake MSRP's and made up history that you alluded to. Quartz watches are more durable than automatics for the most part, so if whatever you are doing is damaging a quartz, it will likely damage an automatic earlier.

Edit: If you want a Japanese automatic watch that is very high quality and has a real history, Orient has some nice square models.........
http://www.orientwatchusa.com/collection.php?c=11

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Get a Seiko, Citizen, or Orient. These are all solid brands that stand behind their products. Each has introductory autos for cheap.

Let us know more information about yourself - what size do you like, what is your wrist size, type of clothes normally worn with it, etc. You feel strongly about square.. does that mean you like or dislike ?

~Ross

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you buy cheap it's going to break sooner rather than later.

Choose a good quartz (don't get entry-level - it will last but you won't get the overall fit and finish like a mid-range quartz) from one of the Japanese brand listed above and it'll last, on average, probably longer that it takes for you to get bored of it or for it to go out of fashion. Maybe $150-$200 should get you something great which will last years?

If you're tough on you watches get a Casio G-Shock. G-Shocks come in analog as well, alteratively if you want a more traditional metal cased watch get a diver's watch as they are more durable than regular watches. Seiko (or Citizen) make some of the best affordable divers. Stick with quartz, they are more reliable and hard-wearing in general. Just don't get a cheap quartz!!

·
Affordables Moderator
17,574 Posts
Welcome to WUS Affordables :-!

I'll echo the comments on Orient, pretty much the best bang for the buck in automatics. Seiko 5 and Citizen autos are workhorses too.

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Stuhrling is good for US$ 40 - 50, but as far as rough treatment goes, I think your Timex lasted that long because it had a very basic (simple) movement. No mechanical watch will forgive rough treatment, at least not in the long run.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You might want to look at the Citizen Eco-drives. Their batteries are charged by light, even artificial light, and they are pretty doggone rugged.

I would suggest that you get one with a sapphire crystal, so you won't be bothered with scratches on a mineral glass crystal.

The Citizens also have a five-year warranty. A jeweler that I once asked about watch reliability told me that Citizens were his most reliable brand. This same jeweler also sold Rolexes and Omegas.

If you still want a good, serviceable automatic that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, you might want to look at the Seiko automatics that you can have for less than $100.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Get yourself an Invicta 8926C, it has a Miyota 8215 movement that may just be the toughest auto movement ever. Good looks and tougher than hell. Just what the literate superhero needs.

b-)​

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had good luck with Sturhling. Good customer service.

Get what you want. Look at the Chinese forum though to see what else is out there.

I also have the 8926 and it is a tough watch.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Welcome, goddess! I have heard of people who cannot wear quartz watches because their body chemistry interferes with the quartz mechanism and causes it to stop (or the battery to drain quickly). This sounds like what you are describing.

In that case, a mechanical or self-winding (automatic) watch is definitely what you're looking for.

As far as what to look at, I will echo what has been said above. Citizen, Seiko, and Orient all have durable automatic watches available for less than $150. The brand I would add to the mix is Wenger. Check the Wenger Terragraph (automatic). A very handsome Swiss Made watch and a style you don't see everyday.

Good hunting!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree with Chev James on the eco-drive. Very reliable watch. I had a friend who killed watches(quartz) within a week. He had a high iron level in his body and the magnetism killed the battery. Thats how he said it happened anyhow but I made him prove they would go dead. They did.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I had two different entry level automatics during my active duty US Army career. The first one was stolen after 5yrs. If I couldn't kill them then I don't think a woman working with kids is going to kill them either. I have personally had far more problems with the quartz watches I've owned then the automatics.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
If you're banging around quartz watches to a point where they're failing, a mechanical watch will probably last about 3 minutes. How about a solar powered G-shock?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If you're banging around quartz watches to a point where they're failing, a mechanical watch will probably last about 3 minutes. How about a solar powered G-shock?
I drain three year batteries in 9 to 12 months, in my last quartz the battery lasted 6 months. It appears that the OP is even worse than I am. There is a big difference between breaking a watch and draining the battery. If you kill the battery you kill the watch so the net effect is the same.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I drain three year batteries in 9 to 12 months, in my last quartz the battery lasted 6 months. It appears that the OP is even worse than I am. There is a big difference between breaking a watch and draining the battery. If you kill the battery you kill the watch so the net effect is the same.
This is because that an "epicenter of your chi force" is located in the wrist on which you wear the watch. You need to move the epicenter to your other wrist, or perhaps even to your big toe. My forthcoming book, "Manipulating Your Chi Force to Accommodate Your Watches" will be due out in the spring. Autographed copies will be only $2,995. And think of what you will save on batteries! :-d

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
This is because that an "epicenter of your chi force" is located in the wrist on which you wear the watch. You need to move the epicenter to your other wrist, or perhaps even to your big toe. My forthcoming book, "Manipulating Your Chi Force to Accommodate Your Watches" will be due out in the spring. Autographed copies will be only $2,995. And think of what you will save on batteries! :-d
:-d:-d:-d Good one, Bro.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts