WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased a 1970 King Seiko 5626-7040. I didnt think that I would enjoy the King Seiko, as I love Seiko dive watches and currently own a Seiko SBBN037 and an SLA025. The king seiko scared me as I didnt feel I would like the absence of lume or the dressier look. The purchase was made to try something out of my comfort zone. That said, I love wearing the watch as much as my divers, if not more. It's thin, its light, it has historic significance, its comfortable, it legible and has beautiful applied logos and markers. The watch also dresses down very nicely which fits my causal lifestyle. This purchase has made me reconsider the preorder I have on the SLA033 in lieu of a Grand Seiko as there are many GS models at the same price point. Wearing the king seiko has really shown me how big and ridiculous the new seiko watches are getting, and I am trying to consider something smaller for my next purchase. Can any GS owners comment on sizing, comfort, and wearability from a casual standpoint? The SLA033 is relatively small for a Seiko diver at 13mm thick and 45 mm diameter, but I know that many GS"s are smaller and I'm beginning to wonder if I would enjoy such a watch more. The GS's that I am currently looking at are the SBGH201G, SBGR 253, SBGR, 261, SBGR315. If it is insightful at all, my wirst is 7.25 inches and I live a pretty active lifestyle. Obligatory wrist shot below. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Must be quite a change from big dive watches, it looks good on you nonetheless!

Most SBGR(Automatic) range from 37-42mm and 13mm thick. All have 100m water resistance. They will feel more modern than vintage KS or GS, heavier and thicker. Based on what you said SBGR315 seems a good fit, can’t go wrong with 40mm size and that nice blue hand.

If you like 37mm after trying out that vintage Seiko, SBGR251 and 253 are also great choices. One thing to note: bright zaratsu polishing will show scratches easily, I don’t consider GS to be a fearless explorer but a casual everyday watch.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I was really liking the size of the 251 and 253, they also seem to be the most casual of all the options. I just might have to find a way to try one on. I'm not too worried about the zaratsu as it can always be refinished. This hobby never ends.

·
Premium Member
38,901 Posts
King Seiko's and Credor's are fantastic under the radar watches. IMHO.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been in a similar boat looking at GS, with a slightly smaller 7 inch wrist. I have Seikos up and down the size spectrum, from a 1950s manual wind Seiko at 34mm up to the 45mm SPRA21. Was really expecting to love the SBGR253 based on the 37mm size. I loved the look and the dial is so much more gorgeous in person than in pictures. But for some reason it presented much smaller on my wrist than I expected. I think it may be partially because of the black dial and the relatively thick size, but I was definitely surprised. Curious to try the SBGR317 if I can track one down. SBGR261 is gorgeous as well.

PS: Nice KS!

·
Registered
116 Posts
SBGV009 is suiting me right down to the ground, nice 37mm vintage (jumbo) case size but feels bigger due to the fat lugs. I'm of the mind that less is more and smaller dials seem more timeless. This 40mm+ Big Watch Trend has to reverse sometime, right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just picked up the SBGR317. I have a 7” wrist. Check out my unboxing, if you search Youtube mine is the only unboxing on there, asfaik. You can see the fit and hear my impressions. Long story short: stellar watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just a week ago a got an SBGA283. 39mm which works great for me, a little thicker than the explorer but still on the acceptable side. it would be a good change from your usual sizes and something to complement the collection. The other models I tried, even if 40 or 42mm looked much bigger than mine in the wrist due to the case shape.
Also the dial is amazing and changes a lot depending on the lighting

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts