WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going nuts. I'm getting an L3 signal but it still gave me an error o|. Damn you multiband 6!!! I know it's not a big issue, but damn it's bugging me. I found that by putting it beside my radio/alarm(every night), it works best. But damn it!!! (First world problems...)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Funny skyxx ("first world problems"). I don't own an atomic sync G-Shock yet, but sure want one. I wonder though if it's not more trouble than it's worth. Most of my non-atomic quartz watches are between 0-2 seconds fast per week -- which is darn good, from a practical perspective. If I haven't set a watch in a week, I'm confident that the time is accurate to within a few seconds -- because I set the watch myself!

With atomic sync, we're giving up control -- granted, to a really accurate tower in Boulder, CO (or in Germany or Japan, etc.), but still it's a loss of personal control over the timepiece on our wrist. I would imagine that for some people (e.g., me) this might not be easy and I'd be constantly checking to see if the watch has synced, when it last did it, etc. I might end up doubting or questioning the time more than I do now.

I'd be interested in hearing from others regarding how they like their atomic syncing watches.

John

·
Registered
596 Posts
All of mine sync every night whenever I check. I just love looking at all of my Casios and have them tell the exact same time down to the seconds. And not having to adjust to DST!!!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I would imagine that for some people (e.g., me) this might not be easy and I'd be constantly checking to see if the watch has synced, when it last did it, etc. I might end up doubting or questioning the time more than I do now.
I for one was obsessed with checking capacitor level and sync status, so I tend to stick with regular battery quartz now.

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
I'm going nuts. I'm getting an L3 signal but it still gave me an error o|. Damn you multiband 6!!! I know it's not a big issue, but damn it's bugging me. I found that by putting it beside my radio/alarm(every night), it works best. But damn it!!! (First world problems...)
By putting your watch next to your radio, you may be increasing the level of the signal but degrading the quality of the signal. I would suggest moving the watch away from the radio. ;-)

HTH

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
I have this one.........

and so far so good........I set it on the window sill at night facing east towards Colorado...seems to sync after 11ish pm here in California.

Reactions: taimur

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
It is best to set the watch on a window sill facing the direction of the broadcast station in Ft. Collins Colorado. Read the manual for suggested watch orientation (some manuals suggest resting the watch with the top of the face [12 o'clock] pointing to the window).

Do not disturb the watch while it is calibrating. You will see the level indication fluctuate between L1 and L3. Even if it may linger on L3 for a minute or two does not guarantee that the synchronization will complete. I have found the automatic sync (performed at 12, 1, 2, 3, and 4AM) works more reliably than manual.

I don't own an atomic sync G-Shock yet, but sure want one. I wonder though if it's not more trouble than it's worth. Most of my non-atomic quartz watches are between 0-2 seconds fast per week -- which is darn good, from a practical perspective. If I haven't set a watch in a week, I'm confident that the time is accurate to within a few seconds -- because I set the watch myself!

With atomic sync, we're giving up control -- granted, to a really accurate tower in Boulder, CO (or in Germany or Japan, etc.), but still it's a loss of personal control over the timepiece on our wrist.
John, it is not more trouble than it is worth, unless you're in an area that gets a very weak synchronization signal. The accuracy of your watches is very good, and so if having another very accurate watch is not a priority then I'd say forgo getting atomic. However, it's a very nice feature to have. It does not mean you give up control. You can always set the watch manually, whenever you want. If the watch fails to sync for some reason, the current time is not affected.

Incidentally, I time adjusted one of my atomic G-Shocks that was showing about a +1 second drift per day, so that it now gains +1 second per month (at least during my last monthly time check). I set it to time sync automatically one night per month, which saves on wear of the mechanism and avoids the nightly drain from sync.

·
Registered
180 Posts
With atomic sync, we're giving up control -- granted, to a really accurate tower in Boulder, CO (or in Germany or Japan, etc.), but still it's a loss of personal control over the timepiece on our wrist.
I don't feel it's a loss of control. I can still adjust the time manually on my PAW-1300. Even if it doesn't sync, it will still maintain reasonable accuracy just like any other quartz watch until the next time it does sync up. My Pathfinder on average will not sync 2 days out of the month, but it doesn't bother me a bit when it doesn't. I never find myself worrying if the time is wrong on it. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm not impressed with my Riseman w.r.t. timekeeping ability in the absence of a signal. Within 6 days, there was a 4 second difference between it and another, non-atomic G. On the next synch, the non-atomic G was right on the synch'd time. So all of that drift was in the atomic Riseman. Personally, I'd rather have a non-atomic, because based on that incident, I think the non-atomic are adjusted better from the factory.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
I'm not impressed with my Riseman w.r.t. timekeeping ability in the absence of a signal. Within 6 days, there was a 4 second difference between it and another, non-atomic G. On the next synch, the non-atomic G was right on the synch'd time. So all of that drift was in the atomic Riseman. Personally, I'd rather have a non-atomic, because based on that incident, I think the non-atomic are adjusted better from the factory.
I must agree that I have also noticed that atomic G-Shocks are less accurate than non-atomic counterparts when the automatic sync is turned off. With one watch, it was gaining almost 30 seconds per month. CASIO probably skips a calibration step, because they assume that the synchronization will take care of it. Fortunately, the watches are endowed with a trimmer screw that allows the watch to be calibrated and I was able to successfully perform an adjustment that achieved +2 sec/mo accuracy. I like having atomic, as I can just set the watch to automatically sync one night per month. One less watch I have to manually adjust.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright alright, I found a new spot for syncing my watch. On the stairwell holder(Quite large to hold a few watches) right in front of the front entrance!!!!. I hate how you have to hunt random places that aren't "ideal" for watches in order to get a good sync. Guess i'll stick with this one instead of my bedroom. sigh haha...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Alright alright, I found a new spot for syncing my watch. On the stairwell holder(Quite large to hold a few watches) right in front of the front entrance!!!!. I hate how you have to hunt random places that aren't "ideal" for watches in order to get a good sync. Guess i'll stick with this one instead of my bedroom. sigh haha...
Where do you live?

I guess I'm fairly close to Colorado (8 hour drive) so syncing has never been a problem for me.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I live in San Diego, CA I put my watch in a watch case in my closet every time and it syncs every night. Are you getting an error with the manual sync or the auto sync? A lot of the times when I try to get a manual sync on the giez 1300 it doesn't work even if I am outside, but at night it hasn't failed with the auto sync, again while in my closet.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in Vancouver, Canada. Auto didn't sync properly so I manually sync'd it. Then I moved it last night to near the front entrance because it faces south. :/ I guess it gets a better signal now but this isn't really an ideal place to sync my watches. haha

·
Registered
596 Posts
I live in Vancouver, Canada. Auto didn't sync properly so I manually sync'd it. Then I moved it last night to near the front entrance because it faces south. :/ I guess it gets a better signal now but this isn't really an ideal place to sync my watches. haha
Ahhh... Just a tad farther I see!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Interesting that some of you have found your non-atomic G-Shocks to be more accurate than your atomic ones (without syncing). I wonder if Casio does skip a calibration step on the atomic ones, knowing the sync will take care of it.

I guess we're all different, but I would prefer to have a non-atomic watch that gains a second per week than an atomic watch that gains a second per day without syncing. That said, xevious makes a great point that if we want we can adjust the trimmer screw and we'll have the best of both worlds (non-atomic accuracy and syncing!).

I'll have to check to see what it takes to get at the innards of a G-Shock -- I confess to never having opened one up. If the atomic GW-9300 that I'm thinking of buying is anything like my DW-5600E, it will have four little screws on the caseback that will reveal the trimmer screw. Guess I'll have to figure out how to get the resin band off first! I assume all I need is a springbar tool to remove the two springbars.

John

John

·
Registered
43 Posts
I thought I was the only one obsessed over whether my atomic Giez caught a signal or not. Looking and noting strange places to put the thing when I'm at home at night. I work nights and find myself stopping and performing a manual receive after two AM, hoping that a hot spot can be found. I really do find my Giez to be accurate so a nightly receive isn't necessary. But then my other watches are automatics. Amazing how technology can play tricks on your mind.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
John, when you remove the case back, you will see the module and of course the battery strapped in place. You will also be able to find a very small recessed screw, usually near the AC label. With a very small screwdriver, you can manipulate that screw. I highly recommend you read through the tutorial before doing anything. The best thing to do is take it slow. It's not hard to do, it's just a matter of getting to know what's involved. The most important thing is to do it slowly and don't turn the screw by large amounts. Always make note of screw orientation so you can return it to where it was originally, just in case. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I live in San Diego, CA I put my watch in a watch case in my closet every time and it syncs every night. Are you getting an error with the manual sync or the auto sync? A lot of the times when I try to get a manual sync on the giez 1300 it doesn't work even if I am outside, but at night it hasn't failed with the auto sync, again while in my closet.
I am in East County and my 3500 syncs on or off the wrist at 0:04am...

Reactions: azpops
1 - 20 of 42 Posts