WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking to get my first G-Shock. More specifically I've been looking to get a DW5600, or perhaps one of the solar variants.
The other day I walk into a Nordstrom Rack and notice a DW5030c on sale.
Being unfamiliar with G-Shocks, I do a quick WUS search on my smartphone and find out that this is the 30th anniversary model with stainless steel case.
So I end up buying the watch, but decided to sell it since I was looking for a beater and not a collectible, limited edition watch.

I post it in the the for sale forum. Problem is...I've been wearing it today and I'm starting to really like the watch.
I like the solid, weighty feel of the steel case. I like the look of the copper/ rose cold buttons and keeper.
Despite or originally wanting to buy a solar/ atomic 5600 for a beater, this watch speaks to me. I want to keep it.

What do you guys think. Should I keep this watch as, perhaps not a "beater", but a daily wearer?
Or sell to get the beater that I was originally looking for?

Stupid watch hobby. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alternatively, I could get the GWM5610 for the added solar and atomic functionality. But no steel case, screw back and copper buttons....

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
If the budget allows, I would keep it as a daily watch and get a plastic cased 5600 as a beater (may be a cheap but still capable DW-5600E). I love screw back G's, and to me at least, they feel much more special than the normal plastic cased ones

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
can you afford to wear it as a beater ? just replace strap keeper to a regular resin one then it's beater - unless you have a nagging wife with a few toddlers hungry for milk ;-)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aalin: thats a great idea. I'm actually thinking of getting a used/ cheap beaten up G on ebay for a beater.
Alex: Thanks for the perspective. I've never had a G, but I guessing that after wearing this steel cased one, the resin cased ones won't do it for me=)
G-fob - I can definitely afford to use it as a beater, but since it's a more rare/ collectible model, I don't want to treat it like a beater! =) Also, no kids, but I do have a live-in girlfriend who doesn't quite understand this watch obsession!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
aalin: thats a great idea. I'm actually thinking of getting a used/ cheap beaten up G on ebay for a beater.
Alex: Thanks for the perspective. I've never had a G, but I guessing that after wearing this steel cased one, the resin cased ones won't do it for me=)
G-fob - I can definitely afford to use it as a beater, but since it's a more rare/ collectible model, I don't want to treat it like a beater! =) Also, no kids, but I do have a live-in girlfriend who doesn't quite understand this watch obsession!
Seems like you can afford to keep this and buy a cheap beater, that is I think the way to go. I rekindled my passion for G Shock two years ago when I purchased a G-5600E-1, a resin square with solar. However, the more I read about G-Shock and its history, the more I want a screw back square. I now have 3 screw back squares, and I'm sure that the collection will only grow. I still kept the G-5600E-1 as a beater though, it is lighter than screw back (better for sport) and it is solar as well (changing batteries on a screw back can be a hassle if you don't have the right tool)

Guess what I'm trying to say is I started with resin squares, then discovered the joy of screw back and now find it hard to turn back. It's a good thing that you started with a screw back, and you found a great model to start your G-Shock collection with :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
It's a good looking and I think, a sort after square! I'd definitely keep and it buy a regular 5600e and use that as a beater or even a daily. Keep the 5030 as a weekender- it's sooo nice!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Do what Gfob says and wear it as a beater

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ah! You're hooked in to the weird and wacky world of G-ness already. ;-)

My advice - for what it's worth - keep the DW-5030C and wear it regularly (but perhaps not for mixing cement or clearing the drains). If you don't wear it, you won't get the pleasure of it. And also buy yourself a cheaper DW-5600E (used or new) as a beater for rough jobs where you still need to have a watch.

The "humble" DW-5600E is still a classic G-Shock and also space flight-approved by NASA - just like the Omega Speedmaster Professional - distinguished horological company indeed!

·
Registered
920 Posts
If you are anything like me you will vent halt end ups with both anyway. But the one you got is really nice, either way you can't go wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have a DW-5000SL, a 25th anniversary model (a screwback) and although it was intended to be my G-Shock starting model for collecting, it ended up being my only and last model I bought!!

It felt so right I just kept wearing it, and it has been my beater for the last 4+ years and still looking great, in fact each new scar makes it look even better!!

Oh and here is the picture of the worst thing it survived, although it is constantly covered in cement, grass, dirt and sweat:

IMAG1111.jpg

So I think my answer to your question is pretty obvious ;)

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,333 Posts
My first G-Shock was the GW-5000, the regular production screwback square. It remains my favorite G-Shock. It just feels right at home on my wrist.

If you're really crazy -- like I am -- find a spare. I have a pristine GW-5000 lying in its box, living a life of comfort and boredom, while my daily wear 5000 gets constantly banged against random surfaces, dropped, splashed and sweated on.

Wear the 5030c for a few weeks and see if you still feel the same way about the watch. A screwback G-Shock square is worth the premium cost.

·
Premium Member
14,567 Posts
I'll play devils advocate. I searched for, and found a DW-5030C last year. I bought it and wore it a while but it really did nothing for me so I sold it. I also had a GF-8250ER-Navy. The same thing happened with it. It did nothing for me so I sold it as well.

If you like it, keep it. If you feel, "meh", then sell it. I have determined that, for me, a screw back is not necessary.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I think I'm going to keep the G, and I'll wear it as a daily wearer and travel watch - while avoiding situations abusive like mixing cement, etc=)
Also, I didn't mention this before, but I acquired the watch at a great price: $100! Not bad?
Happy to join your ranks G-Shock fans (is there a name for Gshock lovers?).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wow! That's irresistible price. I bought mine for $200 or the MSRP for that product. I ordered my DW-5030C and after a couple of weeks I also ordered my GW-5000. I was loving it until GW-5000 arrived and stole the limelight of my wrist. I did keep it anyway. Why your watch has a tin can, mine was in an anniversary cardboard box?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I think I'm going to keep the G, and I'll wear it as a daily wearer and travel watch - while avoiding situations abusive like mixing cement, etc=)
Also, I didn't mention this before, but I acquired the watch at a great price: $100! Not bad?
Happy to join your ranks G-Shock fans (is there a name for Gshock lovers?).
I don't know here at wus, but over here at my local forum it's called G-Shock Warriors. Welcome
Wow! That's irresistible price. I bought mine for $200 or the MSRP for that product. I ordered my DW-5030C and after a couple of weeks I also ordered my GW-5000. I was loving it until GW-5000 arrived and stole the limelight of my wrist. I did keep it anyway. Why your watch has a tin can, mine was in an anniversary cardboard box?
That's the problem from buying at brick and mortar store. Since the watch is usually on display, the store keeper often lost track which box goes to which watch. Not a big problem for me, tho

Carpatalked

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm guessing they lost the box. But oddly enough, the gshock tin was marked with a DW5030 sticker. Probably printed from the retailer.

·
Premium Member
14,567 Posts
What?? I pass a few Nordstrom racks on the way home from work. I'm stopping by!!!
Maybe your will have better inventory than the one in my city. It has nothing but the glossy watches no one really buys. And it has lots of Baby G's, GLS-8900's, and GWX-5600-4' and 7's with the negative screen. I check in from time to time and the GWX-5600's have not sold nor synced, some as far back as Nov 14'.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts