WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an aftermarket ratcheting/glidelock clasp that will accept standard 18mm spring bars (would like to mount it on my 22MM super jubilee that tapers down to 18MM).

Here is the kicker: I have very sensitive wrist skin and have had issues with clasps in the past that have sharp edges. I currently own a 18mm Miltat ratcheting buckle and a 18mm Seiko MM300 ratcheting clasp and both are finished very crudely so they end up irritating the underside of my wrist. I have had great success with Rolex, Ginault, and Monta clasps, and would like to see if there is something out there similar to that which would accept 18mm spring bar bracelets (ideally with better finishing than the Miltat or with a flat polished slab clasp blade). Any ideas? Is it possible to round off the Miltat clasp so that it is softer? Thanks!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Interesting.. do you have a particular file in mind that would work? I don’t know much about metal filing and polishing.
A file will be a bit aggressive, IMHO. One would need a jeweler's super fine file or files and even then the wet/dry emory cloth is a better route to smoothing out those micro burrs and stamping edges. 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000 and up to 2000 grit is what I use on this type of work. And generally skip the 200 unless the burrs and edges are real evident and rough.

Files leave file marks that can be big enough to exacerbate the skin abrasion. And I am talking near microscopic rows of saw like teeth on the edges of the clasp. The 2-3000 grit wet and dry paper will make it very smooth.

Good luck!

PS - BTW, I have installed the Seiko 300 MM ratcheting clasp on my Gen One Orange Monster. Besides the Sapphire crystal swap this was the best mod I've done to that watch. Mine doesn't seem to irritate my skin at all but now I think I'll polish the undersides a bit with 2000 grit and followup with metal polish just for grins.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I am looking for an aftermarket ratcheting/glidelock clasp that will accept standard 18mm spring bars (would like to mount it on my 22MM super jubilee that tapers down to 18MM).

Here is the kicker: I have very sensitive wrist skin and have had issues with clasps in the past that have sharp edges. I currently own a 18mm Miltat ratcheting buckle and a 18mm Seiko MM300 ratcheting clasp and both are finished very crudely so they end up irritating the underside of my wrist. I have had great success with Rolex, Ginault, and Monta clasps, and would like to see if there is something out there similar to that which would accept 18mm spring bar bracelets (ideally with better finishing than the Miltat or with a flat polished slab clasp blade). Any ideas? Is it possible to round off the Miltat clasp so that it is softer? Thanks!
The glidelock knockoffs are only made in 16mm. Would be nice if whoever makes them in china would do an 18mm version. They would sell a ton of them. But they don't

·
Registered
387 Posts
Do you have a source for the Citizen BK-H1492 clasp? I searched around and failed to locate any.
Sorry, I don't. I got my first on my Promaster Diver's 200M back in the early '90s, and found my other on the 'Bay several years ago. It'd be shame if they're no longer available, but they're worth the search, IMO.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
A file will be a bit aggressive, IMHO. One would need a jeweler's super fine file or files and even then the wet/dry emory cloth is a better route to smoothing out those micro burrs and stamping edges. 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000 and up to 2000 grit is what I use on this type of work. And generally skip the 200 unless the burrs and edges are real evident and rough.

Files leave file marks that can be big enough to exacerbate the skin abrasion. And I am talking near microscopic rows of saw like teeth on the edges of the clasp. The 2-3000 grit wet and dry paper will make it very smooth.

Good luck!

PS - BTW, I have installed the Seiko 300 MM ratcheting clasp on my Gen One Orange Monster. Besides the Sapphire crystal swap this was the best mod I've done to that watch. Mine doesn't seem to irritate my skin at all but now I think I'll polish the undersides a bit with 2000 grit and followup with metal polish just for grins.
I've used fine grit ceramic rods intended for sharpening knives to file down sharp corners on bracelets or clasps.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Sorry, I don't. I got my first on my Promaster Diver's 200M back in the early '90s, and found my other on the 'Bay several years ago. It'd be shame if they're no longer available, but they're worth the search, IMO.
Yeah....I looked and looked. I have the 300MM clasps and they do the job well. but the Citizen sounds great, too. Maybe one will pop up used.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
The glidelock knockoffs are only made in 16mm. Would be nice if whoever makes them in china would do an 18mm version. They would sell a ton of them. But they don't
THIS!! 18mm and 20mm versions would sell very, very well. I have previously reached out to strapcode and suggested them come up with one, or their own version, because quite frankly the ratcheting clasp they currently sell is awful IMO. I hope they come up with something because incorporating them into their bracelets and selling them separately would do well I bet.

Reactions: Steve0

·
Registered
105 Posts
Is that right, cos I've have been looking constantly on Ali for a 18mm, and assumed there would be one somewhere. Looks like i should give up.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Is that right, cos I've have been looking constantly on Ali for a 18mm, and assumed there would be one somewhere. Looks like i should give up.
Yes. I'm sure. They just think the market is for people making replicas or someone that wants a replacement part. And since the bracelets on the real thing taper to 16 that's all they make. Someone who has connections needs to get in someone's ear and tell them there is more $ to be made.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I have reached out to the folks on ebay selling the 16mm size to see if they have access to or make them in 18 or 20mm, no luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just bought a Squale GMT with a bracelet that tapers to 18mm at the clasp. While I like the bracelet itself, the clasp is just okay, would love to find a substitute glide-lock style clasp that was high quality.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah....I looked and looked. I have the 300MM clasps and they do the job well. but the Citizen sounds great, too. Maybe one will pop up used.
Deleted my text. Sorry, but the clasp I found, on closer inspection, does not ratchet so it's the wrong one. Apologies! For what it's worth, the clasp is part number BK-H1492, and the only seller I find who carried it says it's discontinued, no longer available.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts