WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like buying a watch after christmas. I was looking to buy a watch by a well known company like Tissot or Seiko, or Movado. I was wondering what my options are between $350 and $800?
I am 14 years old and i want a nice watch but nothing like a rolex or an omega, i can't afford that stuff... yet haha
I will be wearing this watch almost everyday.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You are getting infected by the bug early, when I was 14 my watch was a Timex. I think there are many good choices in your price range, but we may need some more info into your specific criteria. I haven't been around here too long, but I have learned alot about what I want in a watch, so do alot of reading here. I think seiko and Orient offer some really nice watches in the affordable range. Tissot is also a nice choice for a Swiss watch. I bought my brother a Tissot Pr50 auto for his college graduation, and he really likes it. Once again welcome, and I find that the people around here are very classy, and eager to offer assistance, so don't be afraid to ask questions. The search function can also be helpful for researching a particular model.:-!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying...
I have been to quite a lot of sites and watch guide, and everything is WAYYY out of my price range... Oris divers look REALLY nice, but i don't really know their price range and im sure they are probably out of it... i can probably go up to $1000 on a watch though. As i said before, my watch will be used EVERY day and i don't really need a chronometer. I like designs that are pretty nice and basic such as the Tissot PR50 or the Tag Carrera. The movados look nice, but they seem VERY overrated and more jewellery than a watch. I like quartz for its accuracy but i would rather love buying an automatic for its workmanship. any ideas? I was the Tissot PR50 at the store the other day, it was $375 (everything in canada is more expensive)

nice picture of a TAG carrera

Welcome to the forum! You are getting infected by the bug early, when I was 14 my watch was a Timex. I think there are many good choices in your price range, but we may need some more info into your specific criteria. I haven't been around here too long, but I have learned alot about what I want in a watch, so do alot of reading here. I think seiko and Orient offer some really nice watches in the affordable range. Tissot is also a nice choice for a Swiss watch. I bought my brother a Tissot Pr50 auto for his college graduation, and he really likes it. Once again welcome, and I find that the people around here are very classy, and eager to offer assistance, so don't be afraid to ask questions. The search function can also be helpful for researching a particular model.:-!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I would recommend browsing through the "affordables" section to maybe get some ideas. It really depends on your tastes are in my opinion. I started with mainstream watches when I was younger, but it sounds like you are way ahead of me when I was your age. There are alot of watches out there and some that are not as known as others, but still great pieces. I would look at the Lum-Tec website as Chris has some pretty nice watches in your price range. He goes by Ray Knight on here and used to do alot of custom stuff here. His Lum Tec collection is pretty cool. I am definately NOT a specific brand follower...So I have a mix of watches.
Make sure and let us know what you decide on and post up some photos.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are many quality watches for well under $1000US and I am sure CAN. As I said before, read as much here as you can, it will lead you to other brands that you never even knew existed. Take your time, and don't make a rash decision, it will be more meaningful. I have nothing against TAG or Movado, but I think you can do better for the price. Also, if you want an automatic you should get one, its not that difficult to get used to if all you have know before is quartz. Visit this site's sponsors, such as WestCoastime, and Islandwatch.com, they have many affordable models. I personally like Stowa watches, you can't get a better watch for the price, but I wouldn't wear my Marine Auto as a knock around, everyday watch. Ollech and Wajs may be a good brand to look into. Too many suggestions to list in one post, but have fun in your search, and take a break if it becomes too overwhelming.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was also wondering where i could a watch from... i only really know jewellers and stuff, but i HATE the pressure they exert on me when i enter the stores just to get a better idea on what to get before diving and getting something i might regret.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heh, i always like the leafs but they suck... all the time
I'm more of a basketball fan though.

Oris watches look pretty good, but im not sure if they are in my price range. The diver looks awesome.
I would prefer to get a well known watch brand rather than one that others would say "you paid 500 bucks for that?"

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oris makes a nice watch. In fact my everyday watch is the Oris modern classic with black dial. Their prices are near the top of you scale, but they are not unreasonable.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw some hamiltons... they looked good too. I was looking at a Khaki King Automatic. I was wondering when i will have to service it and how much that will cost.. Also, Leather or Steel bracelet?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Glad to see a 14 year old with good grammar and punctuation :-!

Can't go wrong with either of your choices, just keep looking and you will find something that you like

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Let me suggest you save some money and buy a Seiko diver in the $150 range. It's a great value, and can take the beating a 14 year old boy will likely give it. Great name, BTW. My son is Henry Louis :-!

SKX007

1 - 12 of 12 Posts