WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have but one watch - a Rolex Datejust from ages ago. Model still sells but I don't wear this watch and since my kids knocked it off the counter the crystal face splintered and I don't want to pay all that money just to fix it. I am a watch connoisseur of sorts that has never indulged in buying them - just looking and reading so I'm no novice in that regard. Was looking at Glycines on sale etc... but I thought I'd dig deeper and found these two brands -- and NO don't tell me Swiss Legend of Invicta not gonna happen here.

I want a new watch something bigger but not HUGE! Sport dive etc. These are the two boutique watches that appeal and a review well.
Also my wrist is 7.5 or so inches - is 45mm just too big - would I be better in a 42mm or so?

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Have a look at Halios and Helson. You might like what you see.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have but one watch - a Rolex Datejust from ages ago. Model still sells but I don't wear this watch and since my kids knocked it off the counter the crystal face splintered and I don't want to pay all that money just to fix it. I am a watch connoisseur of sorts that has never indulged in buying them - just looking and reading so I'm no novice in that regard. Was looking at Glycines on sale etc... but I thought I'd dig deeper and found these two brands -- and NO don't tell me Swiss Legend of Invicta not gonna happen here.

I want a new watch something bigger but not HUGE! Sport dive etc. These are the two boutique watches that appeal and a review well.
Also my wrist is 7.5 or so inches - is 45mm just too big - would I be better in a 42mm or so?

THANKS!
If you don't want that DJ you could probably sell it and get a good portion of your money back. Certainly enough to afford your dive watch. Ideally you could replace the crystal, then sell it, but if there's nothing else wrong with it you could find a buyer anyway with some work.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you are looking at micro-brands, either is good. IMO they all have the same specs, it comes down to the movement and price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll fix it eventually - Sentimental value as it was my first big watch purchase. Some of these watches just look so TALL! Anyone have any gripes with that. I was always a fan of the ORIS TT1 but even that seemed tall - but doable - are these taller (I know I could look at specs.) When I see the cave dweller it looks massive on its side.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Fix the DJ. Forget the micro-brand crap. It's way cheaper to get the crystal replaced than it is to buy even a fairly low-end new watch, anyway.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Another micro-brand high quality diver is Steinhart - Ocean Vintage Military:

Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military.jpg
borrowed pic.

·
Registered
734 Posts
At 7.5 inches your wrist can probably take up to 45mm, depending on the design of the lugs. I have a number of 44mm watches (Benarus, Magrette, and Prometheus) that are great for casual wear, but look weird with cuffed shirts. 42mm is definitely going to be more versatile. As for which one, I am partial to the micros, most have great quality and service, so really it is about looks. I would recommend looking at the WRUW in the dive watch forum to see what catches your eye.

And because every thread needs pics:
_MG_0009.jpg
IMG_1892.jpg
_MG_9738.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate that. But even still - 1 as a watch enthusiast with only one watch that doesn't cut it. I don't have oodles of money to buy submariners and Breitlings - and want a more sporty bigger watch than a 38mm date just. So i see some well priced Glycines that interest me that hover between 1k and 2 K and was just looking at the offerings for quality craftsmanship - good style - for under 1k. (and good style is always subjective so these two appeal to me but I have not seen one in person. )
Fix the DJ. Forget the micro-brand crap. It's way cheaper to get the crystal replaced than it is to buy even a fairly low-end new watch, anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At 7.5 inches your wrist can probably take up to 45mm, depending on the design of the lugs. I have a number of 44mm watches (Benarus, Magrette, and Prometheus) that are great for casual wear, but look weird with cuffed shirts. 42mm is definitely going to be more versatile. As for which one, I am partial to the micros, most have great quality and service, so really it is about looks. I would recommend looking at the WRUW in the dive watch forum to see what catches your eye.

And because every thread needs pics:

WOW thanks for this!! Yeah I saw the Magrette - liked it a lot but not so much the bands - like the red in the face hate the red stitching - know that can be replaced. Have to look at promethius.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I appreciate that. But even still - 1 as a watch enthusiast with only one watch that doesn't cut it. I don't have oodles of money to buy submariners and Breitlings - and want a more sporty bigger watch than a 38mm date just. So i see some well priced Glycines that interest me that hover between 1k and 2 K and was just looking at the offerings for quality craftsmanship - good style - for under 1k. (and good style is always subjective so these two appeal to me but I have not seen one in person. )
Glycine's an actual watch company, so they're not in the same category as the amateur operations to which I was referring earlier. Sinn excels at rugged designs at reasonable prices, too. Just don't get rid of the DJ.

Tell ya what, though. Give this a read and then decide: The Rolex Problem: A (Semi) Rational Look At The World's Most Recognized Watch - Forbes It sums up in two pages what it takes most people years to learn on their own, and it should help you to appreciate what you have, which is the most difficult part of this whole watch thing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another micro-brand high quality diver is Steinhart - Ocean Vintage Military:

View attachment 929899 borrowed pic.
It looks like a fine watch - and while I am a huge fan of the Rolex Sub and realize there are hundreds of imitators, I hate that they have some that are simply dead on copies -is that just me? The watches look solid - nice - no doubt!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah so even though they put out watches and have solid reviews, they have been in business since 2006 etc and therefore could be fly by night etc. I get it. I don't hate my rolex - don't want to divorce it - just want to cheat on it :) also it does keep awful time! But in 20 years I would get more for it now than I paid, that is rare.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I'd fix your Rolex no matter what. Shame to let it languish.

Then I'd look for a cheaper dive watch that can get beaten up a bit. I own two that I really like.

Orient Blue Mako: Very inexpensive <$150. A lot of watch for the money. Durable, well built, 200m WR, beautiful blue "laquered" dial, also in a black, orange, or yellow dial, on rubber or bracelet. Has something of a cult following here. The Mako is 40mm, the Mako II is ~43mm.

IMG-20120409-00131.jpg

IMG-20120422-00165.jpg

I also just picked up a Hamilton Khaki King Scuba. $300-$400 range on the grey market. Looks great, a lighter 100m WR, a 41mm that wears bigger, sapphire (Mako is mineral) and avail on rubber or bracelet. I got the rubber strap to get the red accent lettering. Not my photos...yet.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been looking at the Orient @ SeaGull - def nice offerings for the price.

Thank you

I'd fix your Rolex no matter what. Shame to let it languish.

Then I'd look for a cheaper dive watch that can get beaten up a bit. I own two that I really like.

Orient Blue Mako: Very inexpensive <$150. A lot of watch for the money. Durable, well built, 200m WR, beautiful blue "laquered" dial, also in a black, orange, or yellow dial, on rubber or bracelet. Has something of a cult following here. The Mako is 40mm, the Mako II is ~43mm.

View attachment 929925

View attachment 929926

I also just picked up a Hamilton Khaki King Scuba. $300-$400 range on the grey market. Looks great, a lighter 100m WR, a 41mm that wears bigger, sapphire (Mako is mineral) and avail on rubber or bracelet. I got the rubber strap to get the red accent lettering. Not my photos...yet.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Ah so even though they put out watches and have solid reviews, they have been in business since 2006 etc and therefore could be fly by night etc. I get it. I don't hate my rolex - don't want to divorce it - just want to cheat on it :) also it does keep awful time! But in 20 years I would get more for it now than I paid, that is rare.
I'm talking more from a design perspective. There's just so much unoriginal and/or badly-drawn stuff out there from these guys that it's embarrassing. You're absolutely right about that Steinhart being a copy, by the way. Don't forget that a lot of these micro reviews come from guys who have never owned a single decent watch and wouldn't know good design if it kicked them in the shins. Mind you, there's no harm in a fling as long as you're not buying these things new and taking a significant loss when you get bored of them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went watch shopping at lunch at highend store just to see sizes etc. A- I need a new watch. 42mm might be too small for my wrist - heck I don't think in this day and age I can go less than 44 - 45 . Seriously what was I thinking. Now I don't want a 53mm beast with a 3/4 inch height from wrist to crown, no - but my size fears are now put to bed.

The anonimos are nice but the watch that I tried on that i really liked was the Glycine Watch Lagunare 300m L1000 Automatic Languire-Automatic-1000.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
or this one - see a trend here? 3867-19.JPG - Any thoughts on the Boschett Cave Dweller or the Benarus Mil Diver?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts