WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

All Things Being Equal - Would You Buy New or Vintage?

• Buy a New One!

Votes: 37 72.5%
  • Buy a Vintage One!

Votes: 14 27.5%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
I told myself I would never make a poll that I have to ask about which watch to get A, B, etc. It will be..., luckily enough, for a good sum of money! Even in WIS terms. So, my question is quite simple and I can't quite decide. I don't want to let you know what I am considering, other than I have several choices. About half New and the other half Vintage. I keep waffling back and forth between the two and am having a very hard time deciding. I have both New and Vintage in my collection. I suppose with all things being equal... I have a New watch, in one hand and a Vintage watch in the other, that I like equally well. Which to choose?? Not the same watches, incidentally (an old and a new one). Just two I really like and can't decide.

So, this is my question. If it was you, would you go Vintage or New?? Simple enough! Assuming (I know what that does!), they are both like new. The vintage has been gone thru, etc., so no repairs, maintenance, anything (yet). (Did I mention they are equal?)

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ooopps... it's not a "Thig" it's a "Thing" (I can't edit a poll - that I know of).

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I'm not a fan of vintage watches unless the age\history is relevant to me. So my grandfathers watch - cool; someone elses old watch - pass.
(exceptions exist of course for really great models that have no modern equivalency - ex: Omega Pie Pan Connie)

Besides affinity for new watches, I also find that vintage can't be treated quite the same - lack of WR, older lubricants, older material tech (plexiglass crystals, chromed cases, etc) - require more "gentleness" than I'm willing to put into it. Finally, movements (and there are many great vintage movements) are typically not as good as current counterparts - from PR reserves to quick-set dates...

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
I'm not a fan of vintage watches unless the age\history is relevant to me. So my grandfathers watch - cool; someone elses old watch - pass.
(exceptions exist of course for really great models that have no modern equivalency - ex: Omega Pie Pan Connie)

Besides affinity for new watches, I also find that vintage can't be treated quite the same - lack of WR, older lubricants, older material tech (plexiglass crystals, chromed cases, etc) - require more "gentleness" than I'm willing to put into it. Finally, movements (and there are many great vintage movements) are typically not as good as current counterparts - from PR reserves to quick-set dates...
I agree with all of this, and especially about the vintage watches. I have a vintage Connie that has no previous meaning to me, but it's so damned beautiful (and I paid handsomely to have it refurbished by Omega), that it's a keeper. I also have some vintage Seikos that I really like because they don't make them anymore (Pogue, Bell-matic, etc) and they're so affordable. Otherwise it's new or very recent used for me.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
You say they are the same but not the same watch, I am translating that meaning that the two watches are of the same price.
In which case, I'd go vintage - it has already depreciated and if you decide to sell it in the near future you will not lose much, if any, money.
Generally.
For instance, I'd rather have a well serviced PP than most brand new watches that would cost about the same. But there is the odd new watch that I would consider in this scenario- a Daytona will lose less value and regain it rapidly for example.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would usually go with vintage, but I guess it depends on the type of watch you are going for. For example, if it was a dress watch I go with vintage, but if it was a tool watch or a beater I'd go with new. Or if I was buying a dive watch I'd go with vintage, unless I was actually planning on going swimming with it, then I would probably go with a new one. Though the only time I go near water is in the bath, and I take my watch off then, so vintage diver too.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Way too hypothetical a situation. But I say vintage anyway.

Reactions: I Like em BIG ! !

·
Registered
15,919 Posts
Not many truly "vintage" watches draw me. I'd rather have access to contemporarily styled watches new and/or used, especially with models that may be out of production in the recent past and/or LE's . . .

Reactions: I Like em BIG ! !

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
For me, it is always new. The feeling of knowing that you are the first owner, peeling off the protective stickers, that new watch box smell. The most important thing for me is that I make my own story/history with my new Watch!

·
Registered
627 Posts
There is no right answer. My vintage collection outnumbers my modern collection about 10:1 but the question for me is "what would either add to the collection?". If the vintage model fills a slot in your collection that needs representation more than the new watch fills a need, then you get the vintage or vice-versa. Besides, it's not a matter of "do I get this as the last watch I will ever buy?". There's always next time.

Lately, I have been adding to the diversity of my modern collection. That's where I feel the need to improve. I'm sure there will come a day when the urge to fill out the vintage collection will again take priority. Where do you sit now in this context?

·
Registered
191 Posts
You must be stuck making a decision with such an arbitrary poll! Vintage watches don't appeal to me unless they have a personal connection. My mum has my great grandfathers West End Watch Co pocket-watch, which I love. I'll happily buy preowned modern as well but the styles and delicate nature of vintage watches aren't for me!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts