WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Lads!

What do you think about this Riviera? It's got 200m WR, sapph xtal, good lume, 40mm, ETA2824, lots of good things.

[URL="http://
[/URL]
The thing is, there is no info on it on the web, i was wondering if anybody out there had at least seen it.
It's gonna either be this kid or the Longines HC Chrono in silver.
Looking for a dressy-diver type of thing :-!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Hello Lads!

What do you think about this Riviera? It's got 200m WR, sapph xtal, good lume, 40mm, ETA2824, lots of good things.

The thing is, there is no info on it on the web, i was wondering if anybody out there had at least seen it.
It's gonna either be this kid or the Longines HC Chrono in silver.
Looking for a dressy-diver type of thing :-!

Thanks!
If you're looking for a good "diver style" watch that is well made and (once tested by a competent watchmaker) likely will have good WR characteristics, you really can't go wrong with a B&M. There are some great bargains to be had as well. I have seen that particular watch and the GMT twin at as much as 65% off retail. However, that also means that your resale will suck. Expect to take a much bigger hit on the B&M when you flip it than you would on a comparably priced Longines. Still, you will get a lot of bang for your buck with the Riviera.

My only caveat is that - and I hate to bring this up because it seems so unfair - the Riviera has acquired a reputation as something of an "old man's watch." Here in SW Florida, we have like the second or third highest percentage in the nation of geezers and I must confess I do see a lot of Rivieras here. Just a FWIW observation.

Rob

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The Riviera is a dressy "diver," which has its place, especially among those who have to dress up occasionally or often. While this watch isn't quite up my alley, I still find it attractive. Of course, I'm 56, so I'm getting close to geezerhood and I can remember a time when a watch like this would have been considered the height of fashion. I, too, like xtal.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're looking for a good "diver style" watch that is well made and (once tested by a competent watchmaker) likely will have good WR characteristics, you really can't go wrong with a B&M. There are some great bargains to be had as well. I have seen that particular watch and the GMT twin at as much as 65% off retail. However, that also means that your resale will suck. Expect to take a much bigger hit on the B&M when you flip it than you would on a comparably priced Longines. Still, you will get a lot of bang for your buck with the Riviera.

My only caveat is that - and I hate to bring this up because it seems so unfair - the Riviera has acquired a reputation as something of an "old man's watch." Here in SW Florida, we have like the second or third highest percentage in the nation of geezers and I must confess I do see a lot of Rivieras here. Just a FWIW observation.

Rob
It has a GMT twin? Really? I have not seen that one.

The Riviera is a dressy "diver," which has its place, especially among those who have to dress up occasionally or often. While this watch isn't quite up my alley, I still find it attractive. Of course, I'm 56, so I'm getting close to geezerhood and I can remember a time when a watch like this would have been considered the height of fashion. I, too, like xtal.
Wow, guys i didn't know that connection between an older person's taste and the Riviera´s design!
I have the Riviera Magnum chrono with rubber strap and i really love it, that's why i'm considering this "dive style" Riviera.
I'm not sure if it's too small though.
This is the other one i'm considering

Another really nice piece, really liking the sunburst silver and red chrono second's hands.
This one i've tried on and it has a good size, a little thicker than a non-chrono but good sized none the less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts