WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a self appointed watch nut (like many of us). I check out TZ.com, WUS.com , Paneristi.com and a few other sites quite often. I am surprised that only 6-16 people max view the Kobold forums at any given time. For example the Doxa forum has 40+ right now lurking around. Ball watch 22, Omega 82+, Rolex 22 & Breitling sum 65+. I know Kobold only sells 2500 watches total per year. One would think as cool and rare as Kobolds' are there would be more interest?
I'm on my 3rd. Kobold and each time I step up a model I'm more impressed. I just sold my two Soarway Ti Soprano's to buy a Phantom Tactical and I would do it again. This PVD baby R O C K S !! Just today (first full day in public) I've received more "cools" than when I wear my Rolex GMT II SS Ceramic. Which I do like as well. This watch screams bad a#* ! It seems that there are about 3 maybe 4 die hard Kobold aficionados on this forum. You know who you are. What gives? Are fellow Koboldians too busy ridding the would of crime? Maybe saving a life? Maybe killing a terrorist? Where are they?

ooh just noticed my 200th post! Yea! (me golf clapping) :-d

Haven't shot any good photos of the PVD yet. Hi res to come. I do kinda miss the Soarway on the dark strap. I'm sure one will come around again some day. There are 400 or so.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Granted, I do very little browsing in other brands, but I will say that many of the times I am in the other brand forums on here, quite a bit of the posts/activity is about customer service. More accurately; usually a lack of customer service. So maybe most Kobold owners are happy?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I wish this forum were a bit more active. But, I'm always happy with the content of the posts. There seems to be a real depth of knowledge and we get some incredible photos. To your point, it is a smaller community by comparison, but the passion for the brand is there and we rarely encounter any trolls.

So, glad you picked up the Phantom. . . can't wait for more pics! The ones above are great!

Kev.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Gotta agree with the others, small community of owners and all pretty darn happy with their Kobolds.

I visit other brands, OCEAN7, ROLEX and DOXA as well as the Seiko and Diver Watch sections.

Mostly I'm checking out the For Sale section to see what's happening there too.

Congrats on the Phantom, it is one the Kobolds best IMHO. :-!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Like Kobold - it is the quality of the posts!

There tend to be fewer "threads" here - but IMHO they are very interesting and insightful. And tend to be focused and "on-topic."

I would love to be even more active, and take lots of pics that I get many requests for, but just have to find the time. I think a quick word here and there is the most important!

I have met some good friends on the forum - and look forward to talking more.

As you can tell, I have a passion for kobolds!

Todd

·
Registered
926 Posts
i also wish it were a more active site, i enjoy reading it very much.
i've had several Panerai, and was a daily-lurker on Paneristi, but it is evident that the majority of the regulars there, are way out of my league.
i have down-sized to a very humble collection, and am very happy with my choices,
after all, i do have an 1830 home to care for, and i like to travel, so something had to give.

i am exceptionally happy with my Kobold SOA, a bargain in the watch world i think.
i have been reading the Kobold forum daily now for a few months, i'll have to post more as well.

maybe your thread will spark more interest in sharing out common interest in Kobold.

sorry for the crummy-pic, i seem to have messed up my cameras settings :(

- wishing a nice thanksgiving to All Kobold wearers !!!

- Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Bull,

That is a great collection and great job on the shots. I should get some outside shots of my watches for you guys. Between yours and Ms. Gulls, they truly do make a better picture I think.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I'm a self appointed watch nut (like many of us). I check out TZ.com, WUS.com , Paneristi.com and a few other sites quite often. I am surprised that only 6-16 people max view the Kobold forums at any given time. For example the Doxa forum has 40+ right now lurking around. Ball watch 22, Omega 82+, Rolex 22 & Breitling sum 65+. I know Kobold only sells 2500 watches total per year. One would think as cool and rare as Kobolds' are there would be more interest?
I'm on my 3rd. Kobold and each time I step up a model I'm more impressed. I just sold my two Soarway Ti Soprano's to buy a Phantom Tactical and I would do it again. This PVD baby R O C K S !! Just today (first full day in public) I've received more "cools" than when I wear my Rolex GMT II SS Ceramic. Which I do like as well. This watch screams bad a#* ! It seems that there are about 3 maybe 4 die hard Kobold aficionados on this forum. You know who you are. What gives? Are fellow Koboldians too busy ridding the would of crime? Maybe saving a life? Maybe killing a terrorist? Where are they?

ooh just noticed my 200th post! Yea! (me golf clapping) :-d

Haven't shot any good photos of the PVD yet. Hi res to come. I do kinda miss the Soarway on the dark strap. I'm sure one will come around again some day. There are 400 or so.
I really like your collection. I don't recognize the one on the end though, what is it? I love that the OM is swimming with the big boys! In my opinion, a true sign of a WIS is appreciation of watches in any price range. I love that you have a $180 watch in a line up with several $6k+ watches. Still curious about the one on the end though.

Kev.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like your collection. I don't recognize the one on the end though, what is it? Still curious about the one on the end though.

Kev.
It is a Citizen 2100 Stainless. I have the exact same wall clock. i found a citizen dealer that let me buy it. Pretty tough to get them to give it up. The clock that is. The watch was around $260 bucks (half retail). You can't go wrong. It's a nice watch and does not even need to be on the winder. It is a Eco Drive. The Sun does the trick. Pretty cool idea.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I suspect that the limited amount of viewers is possibly related to price? For example more viewers equals more affordable etc.

I would dearly love an SMG but will never afford one so only occasionally dip in and out to dream and see what is new. But where i can afford the watches i like i am in and out on a more regular basis.

That's my theory.

Regards (you lucky SMG owners)

Carl.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
That could be it, but Omega and Rolex and others share the same type of price range and they are more visited sites.

I think part of it is that the word isn't out, which I think is a good thing. I also know that I am in a blog for University of Kentucky Athletics and another for AMG Mercedes and there are a lot of pot stirrers that come in there and the members of the forum seem to respond to them and keep them going. That type of activity makes a blog dang near impossible to hang out in, but it seems to get a lot of people to come in to read.

While we have had a few trolls in our mix, they seem to quickly realize that this group is fairly unwavering and I guess it isn't much fun for them. Just to clarify, I don't think anyone in here currently has been a troll/pot stirrer, but we all have seen a few posts from them over the last year.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
That could be it, but Omega and Rolex and others share the same type of price range and they are more visited sites.

I think part of it is that the word isn't out, which I think is a good thing. I also know that I am in a blog for University of Kentucky Athletics and another for AMG Mercedes and there are a lot of pot stirrers that come in there and the members of the forum seem to respond to them and keep them going. That type of activity makes a blog dang near impossible to hang out in, but it seems to get a lot of people to come in to read.

While we have had a few trolls in our mix, they seem to quickly realize that this group is fairly unwavering and I guess it isn't much fun for them. Just to clarify, I don't think anyone in here currently has been a troll/pot stirrer, but we all have seen a few posts from them over the last year.
Rolex, yes. Not Omega though, Omega are still affordable compared to Kobold. Just check out availability and price of the SMP.
Regarding trolls. I think the attitude over all the forums precludes their inclusion. Long may it continue.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Carl,

I am not sure what the SMP is, though when you tell me I will probably feel foolish. In terms of affordability, Omega's main line up is between what $1800-7k? Kobolds is 2900-6500, I would say they are in the same ball park.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Hi Watchesnboats.

Seamaster Professional. (Also a term used for Speedmaster Professional.)
Easily pick them up for less than £800. The Top line Titanium and Gold can generally be found for £1400 or less.

Really nice watches but i don't think they can match what you get with the Kobold.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I dont think that price is a part of this. Kobolds are not the cheapest, or the most expensive.

It is all in the eye of the beholder. Some people like kobold, other dont. Some people wish they have kobolds, others dont.

The dive watch forum is more active - as it represents many many brands and is not specific.

Ocean7 is very active - as they are in the design process with several watches - and are up and coming.

Doxa has a very loyal and active following - for many years. They may be more in the main stream given the Cussler connection.

If Omega Seamasters/POs are affordable (tend to be list around 3K) - well so are Kobold Seals and Soarway Divers (which in my opinion - blow away a majority of divers out there). In the same price range. Same with SOAs. What makes the omegas seem more reachable are the "deals" that you may get from ADs. Look at all the advertising that Omega has - to get the word out. And yes, I have Omegas, Doxa, Rolex, Ocean7, etc.

To me, Kobold speaks for themselves.

And remember - for a forum to be active - it requires EVERYONE to participate.

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
If you go to the main forum page, you can see how many threads and individual posts each forum has. Kobold being a small manufacture has a great deal of threads and posts, much more than many other established brands that also have individual forums here.

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Rolex, yes. Not Omega though, Omega are still affordable compared to Kobold. Just check out availability and price of the SMP.
Regarding trolls. I think the attitude over all the forums precludes their inclusion. Long may it continue.

Again, I think people confuse MSRP and available discount price. The MSRP for SMP's and Planet Oceans are on par with the Soarway Diver and the Soarway Seal SS diver. Of course, discounts are aplenty with Omega as opposed to lack of discounts with Kobolds. What does that say about Omega? That AD's find it necessary to discount them 30% to move them, or are they overpriced by 30%?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Again, I think people confuse MSRP and available discount price. The MSRP for SMP's and Planet Oceans are on par with the Soarway Diver and the Soarway Seal SS diver. Of course, discounts are aplenty with Omega as opposed to lack of discounts with Kobolds. What does that say about Omega? That AD's find it necessary to discount them 30% to move them, or are they overpriced by 30%?
I think your right on the money about Omega. I once sold McIntosh Audio equipment. They had a fixed retail price plan. They felt that if you (the dealer) needed to discount their product that you (the dealer) were unable to represent McIntosh in the manner they should be represented. Thus you (the dealer) were no longer allowed to present (sell) their equipment. Kind like Rolex does.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Bose does this as well, but then again the big difference here is that McIntosh/Rolex=quality...Bose, well, not so much. All highs and lows, must be Bose is what we used to say when I was in that industry.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts