WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am based in Australia and looking to purchase a second hand watch off someone from Switzerland. The watch will be be bought for $1400 USD. Does anyone know if I will be required to pay any import tax or duties? Or how I can find this information out?

Many thanks,

Quang

·
Registered
691 Posts
Anything >A$1000 attracts GST on the (total value + delivery), plus there is usually a $55 processing fee from the shipper. For 1400USD (2000AUD) will be approx $250 in total. You could be lucky and the watch may not be nabbed by customs.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Anything over $1,000 AUD, including shipping will get pinged for GST plus customs duty plus customs admin charges plus an admin charge (if any) your carrier passes on to you i.e. $950 watch will get hit if shipping is $60. Of course you may get lucky and it might slip through but don't count on it.

And unfortunately yes you will get taxed on used watches even though it's against the spirit of the GST legislation - technically GST is only levied on new products.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Sometimes it's worth asking the vendor if they can deduct their country's sales tax from the item in question. For example, when ordering from Germany, some vendors have no issue with deducting the German 19% sales tax off of the price you pay when requested to do so.

This kind of mitigates the additional tax you pay upon importing the item to your own country.

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
Anything >A$1000 attracts GST on the (total value + delivery), plus there is usually a $55 processing fee from the shipper. For 1400USD (2000AUD) will be approx $250 in total. You could be lucky and the watch may not be nabbed by customs.
those figures are about right.

What at are you looking at and have you asked local sellers if they are willing to bargain. Best price I've gotten on new watches anywhere internationally has been in Australia. Between 20-35% off Omega, IWC and JLC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Gunnar_917,

Where do you get 20-35% off Omega watches in Australia? I have been looking for the last 6 months expecting to get 20-30% and have only been offered 15%.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts