WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you folks who ordered a Steinhart watch, shipped to the US, received a bill from FedEx for $13.79 to cover duties and taxes? I was under the assumption that there was no duties on watches imported to the US and that Steinhart's price included the VAT? :think: This is the first time I've received a bill for duties for importing a watch..... Has there been a mix up here? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think this is a pretty usual occurence for watches ordered from Europe. If you search over in the Stowa forum, there are a few threads about import duties. I paid somewhere around $40 for my Airman. This is not VAT - it's tax and brokerage fees.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Have any of you folks who ordered a Steinhart watch, shipped to the US, received a bill from FedEx for $13.79 to cover duties and taxes? I was under the assumption that there was no duties on watches imported to the US and that Steinhart's price included the VAT? :think: This is the first time I've received a bill for duties for importing a watch..... Has there been a mix up here? Any thoughts?
I get one all the time when I order from overseas. VAT is the "value added tax" that is not the same as the bill for Customs. Europeans are the only ones that pay VAT. You still have to pay taxes on your watch to the state during the tax year.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yep. I got a bill from FedEx on my Archimede. I was as surprised as you. I had purchased stuff from a lot of different places, and had never paid tax or duty, so I assumed it was the fact that it was shipped from Germany. In the end, IIRC, somebody here indicated that the charge all FedEx and not necessarily due to the country of origin. Not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
At least on this Island (22% duty on most things, 5% duty on watches) FedEx and DHL are charging the duty which later are paid by them to the Government.
So, no scam.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Exactly. The business shipping the item completes the manifest as required and the item(s) are taxed accordingly. I would imagine that there are various databases to validate the info for security and taxation purposes. Scam? No. It's just business and for compliance reasons, Fed Ex has to participate.

·
Registered
19,378 Posts
I stick with USPS or EMS, no Fed or DHL :)

Reactions: yankeexpress

·
Registered
90 Posts
As an importer of watches for our company, of course there are VAT & import taxes into another country. Within the EU, you pay the country of origin taxes, but not your local taxes (unless VAT registered), but international, there are taxes/duties that need to be paid, plus generally an admin charge. Within the US, it depends on your state and the local tax rate as well. It is not a scam by FedEx, I am sure there business is much greater and worth more to them, than scamming the odd imported watch. As per a couple of threads above me, they have got it spot on.
Also, it can depend on the value of the item, & if it is a gift.
That is life, death & taxes!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, well if I have to pay I have to pay... Thanks for all the info guys! I never had to pay import duties with USPS. So if I have the choice I'll be using them in the future and not FedEx....:roll:

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Ok, well if I have to pay I have to pay... Thanks for all the info guys! I never had to pay import duties with USPS. So if I have the choice I'll be using them in the future and not FedEx....:roll:
That's because you are suppose to pay them voluntarily. I would choose Fed-Ex over the Post any day. Whenever I had a watch sent through the mail from out of the country my items get stuck in Customs for weeks. I've never had a problem with Fed-Ex.

·
Registered
23 Posts
unfricking believable! i am going through my mail. had literally just finished reading this thread, not even 60 seconds later. i get an invoice from FEDEX! i bought some sunglasses from sweden. $26.74 fee for tax and brokerage. the brokerage is $20.00!

talk about a coincidence, i am going to pay it because it is not worth my time to even call and complain about it or not pay it. just be done with it.

time is money.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
unfricking believable! i am going through my mail. had literally just finished reading this thread, not even 60 seconds later. i get an invoice from FEDEX! i bought some sunglasses from sweden. $26.74 fee for tax and brokerage. the brokerage is $20.00!

talk about a coincidence, i am going to pay it because it is not worth my time to even call and complain about it or not pay it. just be done with it.

time is money.
A load of crap, ain't it? Uncle Sam's gonna get his one way or another I guess.....:roll: I think it's a bunch of bull poopy!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I bought a Hacher last year and they listed it as a gift (not at my request BTW) and I paid no import tariff. Last summer when I bought my Precista PRS 50B Eddie just shipped it out and I got stuck with the tax. It's just a reality we have to deal with.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought a Hacher last year and they listed it as a gift (not at my request BTW) and I paid no import tariff. Last summer when I bought my Precista PRS 50B Eddie just shipped it out and I got stuck with the tax. It's just a reality we have to deal with.
Ahhhh.....now I see. The secret to not paying any duties tax is to "gift" it on the customs form. :-! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are lucky you only had to pay around $13. I have heard horror stories of UPS charging that plus $100 customs broker fees. Go figures....

Yup. I live in Vancouver, BC and ordered a $400 item from the states. The seller shipped via UPS and I was charged ~$115 for the brokerage fee at my door. Go USPS next time.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts