WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(tried searching and couldnt find older topic)

When researching a new watch or going out and trying on watches to see what i want to aim for, i generally wear a watch.

When going to actually purchase a watch, i tend to go empty wristed so i can wear the new kid home.

How does everyone else do it?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi,

I always wear a watch.If I buy a new watch at a store I'll just put the one I am wearing in the box that the new one came in.Although I'll do that in the parking lot, don't want to look to eager! :p Be casual.b-)

But it's been a long time since I purchased a store bought watch,if I see one in a store I like I will go back home and order it off the Internet because I can usually find it substantially cheaper. Don

·
Registered
871 Posts
There are two more ways to go:

a) put the old watch in your pocket after you payed the new one (my way to do it).

b) wear long sleeves, so you can wear two watches without anybody noticing it:-d

Cheers,
Sebastian

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I rarely buy watches at retail stores any more, but when I do I make no special allowances. I can wait until I'm home to wear the new watch.

The only place I make an exception is pawnshops. If I'm shopping for watches at a pawnshop I'll dress like a mechanic or construction worker on his way home and wear no watch, so as not to give them any ideas of me being overly interested or having money.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If I was a mechanic or construction worker I might say ouch. <EDIT> I just wear whatever watch I'm wearing. I recently just wore my latest purchase out of the AD after it was sized.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
the last time I bought a watch from a brick & mortar watch shop was in 2004, & I can't remember what I did:-d

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
If I was a mechanic or construction worker I might say ouch.
Perhaps, but no offense was intended and there is no need to look for one. the point being made is that folks in both professions tend to wear clothes to work that are rough and practical, and that often bear traces of the work their owners performed during the day. That doesn't mean that the work they do is not god, important and honorable, it is just a matter of fact statement. Also folks sharing the general look described are not usually associated with having large amounts of disposable income, which is the entire point of the excercise. If a pawn shop owner underestimates my buying ability, I am more likely to get him to agree to a lower price on something I might be interested in, than he otherwise would.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Perhaps, but no offense was intended and there is no need to look for one. the point being made is that folks in both professions tend to wear clothes to work that are rough and practical, and that often bear traces of the work their owners performed during the day. That doesn't mean that the work they do is not god, important and honorable, it is just a matter of fact statement. Also folks sharing the general look described are not usually associated with having large amounts of disposable income, which is the entire point of the excercise. If a pawn shop owner underestimates my buying ability, I am more likely to get him to agree to a lower price on something I might be interested in, than he otherwise would.
An odd perspective. Here in oil country, its the dirt-under-the-nails-torn-bluejeans-with-dirty-boots-types who walk in to car dealerships and pay cash for Ford F350 trucks. The 20-somethings in northern Alberta are usually making 80k per year.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I rarely buy watches at retail stores any more, but when I do I make no special allowances. I can wait until I'm home to wear the new watch.

The only place I make an exception is pawnshops. If I'm shopping for watches at a pawnshop I'll dress like a mechanic or construction worker on his way home and wear no watch, so as not to give them any ideas of me being overly interested or having money.
Hah! Thats hilarious Gabe. I'd like to see pictures....you might look like me as I am in the construction business :-d

·
Premium Member
10,619 Posts
Depends on where I am going. I have found that if I wear a low end watch into a High End store that I get much poorer service and fewer offers to lower the cost - basically they don't take me as seriously. However, if I wear a higher end watch in and am in a suit they are more attentive and offer me more incentives. When I have, in the past, purchased in a B&M I put my old watch in the new box and wore the new one out after waiting for them to size it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

Classic. The next time I go into my favorite pawn shops, I'm going to dress as a street urchin with a cardboard sign that reads "Will work for an Orange Monster", and I'll be wearing my Citizen 2100...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts