WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Looking to import a Grand Seiko from Japan and was wondering if any Australian members here would be able to shed some light on the cost of duties charged at customs

On the website: Importing Goods by Post FAQ it suggests that on a $1274 item, the total duty and tax charged was $278.85 which is over 20%!

At that rate I'm better off flying to Japan to pick up the watch myself

***mod edit***

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Committing fraud (lying about "gift" or "second hand") can be very expensive in the US. I presume it is the same down under. Jail and stiff fines are alot to pay for a watch.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Pay the legally incurred duties; it will allow you to sleep better.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
You will notice that the value of that US$1274 item was actually AU$1600 with currency conversion and postage. Our $ is stronger now and the result would be different. As said, marking as gift etc is dishonest...but also it would not achieve anything. Duty and GST kicks in over $1000 regardless of whether the item is a gift or used etc.

·
Registered
388 Posts
PM sent.

cheers, Mke

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Customs Duty - 5% of Customs Value (Cval), Cval typically purchase price or declared value converted to AU$
GST - 10% of Value of Taxable Importation (VoTI)
VoTI = Cval + Customs Duty + Postage/transport/insurance
GST is a Goods & Services tax, hence it is charged based on the value of the imported product as well as the transport/insurance service as well as the Customs Duty Service :)
Total payable = Customs Duty + GST

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Looking to import a Grand Seiko from Japan and was wondering if any Australian members here would be able to shed some light on the cost of duties charged at customs

On the website: Importing Goods by Post FAQ it suggests that on a $1274 item, the total duty and tax charged was $278.85 which is over 20%!

At that rate I'm better off flying to Japan to pick up the watch myself

***mod edit***
For Australia, it's 10% GST on the total amount of imported parcel if valued at $AU1000 or over (including the cost of shipping). On top of that, they add an admin fee.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Generally if you're wearing the watch on the way through the customs line, most customs officers just wave you through. Did that for my wife - bought her a new Longines and she wore it, we declared it and the customs guy just smiled and sent us on our way.

The other thing you may want to do instead of going through all of that is contact Saleras Jewellers. They're now registered dealers for Grand Seiko watches. Might save you the pain of customs duty, etc.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Generally if you're wearing the watch on the way through the customs line, most customs officers just wave you through. Did that for my wife - bought her a new Longines and she wore it, we declared it and the customs guy just smiled and sent us on our way.

The other thing you may want to do instead of going through all of that is contact Saleras Jewellers. They're now registered dealers for Grand Seiko watches. Might save you the pain of customs duty, etc.
Yes, but they quoted me nearly $2k more for a GS divers over Seiya's/Chino/Higuchi price. No thanks.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Im very comfottable that you will pay 17.5% on top of the value of the watch at the price you paid converted into aussie dollars, plus tbe same on top of any other invoicable items, including freight.

I recently had customs want to charge me duty on an import where I had traded, only relenting because I was able to furnish extensive written evidence of a trade.

Also, should you purchase a watch which features for instance a band made from an animal where cites certification is required to prove legality it can be a pain organising a stat dec proving appropriate provenance.

One thing you might consider if shipping a watch with a high valeue band, say alligator where the band is worth $700-800 or a leather band for say a tag where the leather band cost $1.23 (ok mabe, $5.23) to produce, but retails in Aus for $700, is to have the band shipped seperately from the head ... box can work this way too

Reactions: Funkyman

·
Registered
426 Posts
$1600ish Tag bought from ACE (lovely people, recommend them) attracted 10% GST + $55 processing fee from TNT.

GST is % of (price + delivery), but delivery free from ACE for WUS members.

·
Registered
426 Posts
So how do they determine that a watch is over the threshold?
As well as checking the invoice on the outside, they open the parcel.

ACE had nicely wrapped it as a gift (for my daughter); TNT spoilt it by adding their TNT-branded sellotape, so I just gave my daughter the Tag box without ACE wrapping.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts