WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm impressed with this recently acquired Porsche Design. The price made the decision a no-brainer. It also hits every mark that I look for on a watch. I really like bold designs and I think this watch meets that criteria. I like when brands go outside of the box, combine different parts, surfaces and finishes that make the watch look nothing like a tuna can like many other watches do.

0601161826a.jpg

The case is ~43mm and the lugs are short so it hugs the wrist very nicely with the rubber strap and it does not overhang flat on the wrist like other watches. Top to bottom it is ~52mm. It is very easy to read and the hands have the most lume that I've seen on a watch. The numerals have lume but those fade away fast. The hands go all night very bright and it is one of the only watches that I have that you could definitely see the lume on any light condition.

The nicest touch of the dial is that the date is the same color as the dial. I've only seen that in far more expensive watches. The dial has a unique feel that it appears as if it had 3 different levels. The numerals, the slope where the 1 minute markers are and then finally the top portion where the 5 minute prints are.

0601161827.jpg

The case is 11mm thick and it combines polished and brushed surfaces. The stripes across are brushed.

0601161827a.jpg

The top of the lugs is brushed too. The rest of the surfaces are polished. The crown is a screw down which i was not expecting.

0601161828.jpg

The movement is very nicely decorated ETA 2824 25 jewel. They used some sort of tinted glass which makes it look very unique and sleek. The best part about the movement is that it runs close to 0 on the wrist. Using watch check, the last two entries I got +0.1s/d. While resting, it runs a little faster, close to +2.5s/d. The overall average since I started timing it a few days ago is +0.6s/d !

0601161826.jpg

I enjoy the watch, definitely keeping it. It is super comfortable and I really can't complain for the price. I'll close with the same line I opened, I'm very impressed with Porsche Design.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I almost bought that one recently just to try it out because the price was ridiculous. What holds me back on watches like this is the integrated strap. With a specialty strap like that, no swapping and no Natos...but if it had a black strap I may have done it. Enjoy, because I still think it's a terrific modern looking piece!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cool watch, but I don't know if I would buy a PD watch if I don't own a Porsche.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Definitely an interesting watch with its out-of-the-box design. Having Porsche Design on the dial doesn't bother me, I've owned one or two of their watches w/o owning one of their cars. Porsche design team is very capable whether cars or watches.

That said, you're a braver man than I rocking those colors on your wrist. It's one of those watches, which I've fallen for far too often, where I love it more off my wrist than on.

Reactions: Sevenmack

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't know about you guys, But I am just staring at the blank space on the left of the dial. Thou I like the outer numbers on the dail.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I almost bought one the other day for the ridiculous deal. Good grab!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Very handsome watch. And you are right. The date numeral color is very cool. I would not have thought it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Nice watch. Is that made by Eterna for PD? I know they had a parting of ways earlier this year.

Really been tempted to get an older PD - especially the ones by IWC... which are usually priced at a real bargain for an IWC.

As for the comments about owning a Porsche, as been previously mentioned whenever PD comes up - it's practically a different company. Yes, same ultimate ownership as the car company, but operated/managed separately. In otherwords, it's not the guys who make the cheap quartz pieces with the Porsche crest on it sold through the service dept at the local car dealership. PD isn't meant as a marketing arm for Porsche the car company - it was established as a design company for various consumer items.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Cool watch, but I don't know if I would buy a PD watch if I don't own a Porsche.
That's the only sensible time to buy a PD watch. If you own the car, you have immediate problems that are much more pressing. Get a decent car first, then deal with jewelry. I'd sell the car while it was still running (I use "running" loosely).

Great watch! I like the 2-4-6-8 numbering (reminds me a bit of Vostok) and the surfaces are great. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also... aren't you concerned that only a very small part of the strap is supporting the watch? What if it breaks?
I'm not super concerned about it. It looks and feels solid even though the space is small. I'll eventually try to see how a strap replacement goes. There's always a way, I've had other watches before that I've managed by different means, those being cutting to the form or having it custom made. For now, it is a nice sporty/summer watch that does not need to be a daily wearer, although, the accuracy certainly makes the case for it every evening after taking my dress watch off from work. It reminds me of the Davidoff I recently got for a similar price. The overall value you get for your dollar is so good that you can throw it in rotation once in a while and not even care about selling it or anything else. We are talking about sub $400 watches. That is kind of Tissot territory with better quality, finishing, decorations, etc.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Why not? Porsche Design operates separately from the automotive firm and has been designing watches as well as other items for five decades. If you like the watch, buy it!

And to colgex: Congrats on the watch. Looks fantastic. Wear it in great health!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts