WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me just start without any quibbling; this is a seriously good watch:

I picked this one up used from Ronsroom, for a very good price, too. Even the regular retail of $449 direct from Bernhardt is remarkably low:

http://www.bernhardtwatch.com/globemaster.html

Bernhardt is one of those boutique makers you hear about, and the Globemaster is, along with the Binnicle, one of their better known pieces. They use either Swiss or Miyota movements, and the watches are supposedly built in the USA--which in itself is remarkable, putting Bernhardt in a very select company indeed, with the likes of RGM. I don't personally know if this is true or not, so don't take that as gospel.
Anyway, here are the specs: 42mm stainless case and bracelet; modified ETA 2836 with a fourth hour hand, rendered as a GMT; sapphire crystal, 200 meters WR; rotating unidirectional 24hr. bezel, 120 click.

Now, there are a million boutique divers out there, and they range in prices of around Bernhardt to well above it. I was the proud owner of one of them, the Debaufre Ocean1 GMT, until I got tired of it and sold it off:

For the purposes of this review, I'll compare the two. Both are the same size, both are Rolex hommages.

What's so right about the Bernhardt? First of all, the fit and finish and case architecture. The Globemaster is astoundingly well made, with a superbly fitted and constructed bracelet:

The bracelet is better than the Debaufre, thicker, with better machined links and screws. The lugs, too, have their own character, beveled in towards the endlinks, which sit a little lower, presumably to conform better to the shape of the wearer's wrist:

This small detail makes the watch very comfortable and adds an added level of design, making the case look a tad more dramatic and seemingly better made. The Debaufre bracelet, while pretty dang good, just isn't as good as the Globy; there's more rattle, and the case isn't drawn into the wrist as well. The diver's clasps are almost identicle between the Bernhardt and the Debaufre. Both use solid backs, and here the Ocean1 is a little better, with crisp machining and engraving, although the Globemaster's pretty good:

As you might be able to see if my photographic skills were any better, the Globy is a numbered, presumably limited edition, while the Debaufre ain't. That sort of thing doesn't really matter to me, but some might think it a plus.

The dial of the Globemaster is done in a very vivid blue, with a Pepsi bezel (or maybe Nehi Orange?):

...which I rather like; I particularly like the typefont on the dial, which reminds me of the old Prisoner TV series from way back (younger members, look it up on youtube.) The Debaufre's dial is very Rolex--indeed, once a customer of mine mistook it for a Rollie, and when I corrected him, his sneer was a mile wide.

Now, let's look under the hood, so to speak. The Debaufre wins here, hands down; it's got an ETA 2893-2, which is pretty much the gold-standard of ebauche GMT movements. The Bernhardt's GMT is based on the 2836, which has been modified; the day of the week wheel apparently has been dumped and the gear train changed to support the GMT hand. Operationally, the two different movements are operated exactly the same--pull the crown to the first click, and then either set the date wheel or the GMT hand. The GMT hand on the modified 2836 is indexed, BTW, so it'll click to the nearest correct point on the dial, so that it's precisely set for a second timezone versus the regular hour hand. Once set, it revolves around the dial once every 24 hours, just like the 2893. One cool advantage of the Globy over the Debaufre is that there's a 24hr scale printed on the dial as well; coupled with the rotating bezel, you can track three timezones vs. two on the Debaufre.

Comparing the two movements in terms of quality, well, the extra buck and a half that you'll spend on the Debaufre certainly will tell; The 2893 is the best you're gonna get for a GMT movement for under a grand, period. My Debaufre was accurate to +3 seconds a day; the Globemaster is quite fast, over +10 seconds a day (this is probably due to the excessive shipping of this particular piece, it's at least third-hand to me from Ronsroom, so a lot of high jinks may of occured from heavy-handed postal clerks.) Also, when I googled "ETA 2836 GMT" I was confronted with page after page of listings for-ahem, replica watches, everything from fake Rolex GMTs to Pannies. I couldn't find another manufacturer that wasn't ripping off designs other than Bernhardt that uses this modified movement. Having dumped all over the 2836 GMT, let me also say that the GMT hand lines up perfectly with the secondary hour, while my Debaufre example sometimes drifted a bit.

The biggest reason I'm nuts over the Globemaster, however, is how it fits on my scrawny, effeminate wrist:

It fits perfectly. I understand that 42mm is Liliputian to a lot of guys these days, but personally, anything over 45 looks retarded on me; obviously, this is a matter of personal choice, and one watch might fit great on one person and fit like hell on another. The Globemaster fits me super; even after a long day of wearing it, it leaves only a slight series of marks on my skin when I take it off (I wear watches pretty tight) and it fits better than some I've owned that cost far more.

To conclude (finally!) I would pay full retail for the Globemaster, and not feel as if I got drilled. It's really that good. This is a remarkably good effort from Bernhardt watches, a boutique brand that knows what it's doing. Pick one up.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Thank you for the lovely in depth review. I have a Bernhardt Binnacle GMT and Sea Shark, both of which are superb pieces. Fred, owner/operator of Bernhardt is a delight to work with, and his watches are very hard to beat.

One quick question - what's your wrist size?

To note - the Globemaster uses the same case as the Sea Shark and Corsair, so for those of you out there wondering about case sizes, you can use this post to tell whether those other watches from Bernhardt will fit.

~Ross

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the lovely in depth review. I have a Bernhardt Binnacle GMT and Sea Shark, both of which are superb pieces. Fred, owner/operator of Bernhardt is a delight to work with, and his watches are very hard to beat.

One quick question - what's your wrist size?

To note - the Globemaster uses the same case as the Sea Shark and Corsair, so for those of you out there wondering about case sizes, you can use this post to tell whether those other watches from Bernhardt will fit.

~Ross
Thanks for the kind words, Ross! To answer your question, I have about a 6.75 inch wrist.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I definately miss mine. Great watch!

Reactions: mitadoc and Louis_A

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
Awesome review! I owned one of these and gave it to my Dad for fathers day a while back. It is a super amazing watch and Fred has great CS skills. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up again. Matter of fact I am looking at his new offering right now.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'm going to jump the gun a little on this since this topic is a great place to say it...

But, I recently bought a used Globemaster exactly like the one pictured, and I'm at least the 3rd owner that I know of. Very pretty watch and a killer deal on the used market with the specs it offers. However, my particular watch had a bezel that was a little loose and could be pressed in toward the case. For whatever reason, some of the link screws also wouldn't fully extract from their holes.

I post this because I immediately emailed Fred Amos inquiring about a fix. The watch is 2 years old and only has 2 weeks left on the factory warranty. He immediately replied, no questions asked, "If you're not happy, I will fix it" and I just sent it off. I thought that was pretty darn impressive and is a really great feature of this, and every model coming out of Bernhardt. That's what you call a comprehensive warranty if I've ever seen one.

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
Same experience I had bought with Fred. I bought a used GB and after I gave it to my Dad he had condensation inside of the crystal. So I emailed Fred and he took care of it free of charge within a few weeks. Now remember this was a used watch with a expired warranty. I expected to pay something for his time but either way he made it a great experience.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to jump the gun a little on this since this topic is a great place to say it...

But, I recently bought a used Globemaster exactly like the one pictured, and I'm at least the 3rd owner that I know of. Very pretty watch and a killer deal on the used market with the specs it offers. However, my particular watch had a bezel that was a little loose and could be pressed in toward the case. For whatever reason, some of the link screws also wouldn't fully extract from their holes.

I post this because I immediately emailed Fred Amos inquiring about a fix. The watch is 2 years old and only has 2 weeks left on the factory warranty. He immediately replied, no questions asked, "If you're not happy, I will fix it" and I just sent it off. I thought that was pretty darn impressive and is a really great feature of this, and every model coming out of Bernhardt. That's what you call a comprehensive warranty if I've ever seen one.
A great story of Bernhardt CS. I wanted to mention that my Globemaster also has the same thing with the bezel, which presses in slightly towards the case. I've had other divers that do this, so I didn't consider it a defect or wear issue. Have other members experienced this with this model?

·
Premium Member
11,193 Posts
Very nice review. Not to contradict you but my Globemaster GMT

has a GMT hand that is completely free setting which means it doesn't click into place and is not directly linked to the hour-minute hands of the main 3 on the dial. This has generally been the case with the Globemaster GMTs and I wonder if your watch isn't either different or you've made a mistake?

They are terrific Value for Money IMHO. I'm really enjoying mine a great deal and could not agree more about the bracelet, overall build quality, and the advantage of having both the 24 bezel and 24 hour markers on the dial. 3 time zones is great. Mine is typically set to ET, GMT (Red GMT hand) and Tokyo (Bezel).:-!

Reactions: Louis_A

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
has a GMT hand that is completely free setting which means it doesn't click into place and is not directly linked to the hour-minute hands of the main 3 on the dial. This has generally been the case with the Globemaster GMTs
The ETA 2836-2 Globemaster GMT hand runs off a day wheel with a modified gear train that causes it to make a complete rotation in 24 hours rather than 7 days. So, when you're setting the GMT hand, it clicks to each hour just as a day wheel would. This is how mine works as well.

·
Premium Member
11,193 Posts
I don't think that's correct. The ETA 2832-2 Globemaster GMT hand runs off a day wheel with a modified gear train that causes it to move 24 times a day rather than only once. So, when you're setting the GMT hand, it clicks to each hour just as a day wheel would. This is how mine works as well.
Mine works fine, got it literally off Fred's wrist, and it sets as I described. I've seen it described elsewhere like mine works. No idea why yours and the OPs work the way they do.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Well, it makes perfect sense why ours work that way. A day wheel clicks into place, so a GMT hand running off a day wheel also clicks. I can't imagine it working any other way. The only explanation is that they movement is no longer modified in the same manner as it once was...but this clicking is definitely how the original Bernhardt Instrument Globe worked, and also lasted on into the Bernhardt generation.

·
Premium Member
11,193 Posts
Well, it makes perfect sense why ours work that way. A day wheel clicks into place, so a GMT hand running off a day wheel also clicks. I can't imagine it working any other way. The only explanation is that they movement is no longer modified in the same manner as it once was...but this clicking is definitely how the original Bernhardt Instrument Globe worked, and also lasted on into the Bernhardt generation.
Perhaps we should ask Fred? BTW, as they do both work off the day wheel and they act differently it is possible for the mechanisms to operate differently from how the day wheel originally behaved. Gearing and such can be changed. I rather like the way mine works as it makes setting it for oddball time zones possible unlike the version you have and is in my Sinn 757UTC which operates precisely as you described yours operating.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very nice review. Not to contradict you but my Globemaster GMT

has a GMT hand that is completely free setting which means it doesn't click into place and is not directly linked to the hour-minute hands of the main 3 on the dial. This has generally been the case with the Globemaster GMTs and I wonder if your watch isn't either different or you've made a mistake?

They are terrific Value for Money IMHO. I'm really enjoying mine a great deal and could not agree more about the bracelet, overall build quality, and the advantage of having both the 24 bezel and 24 hour markers on the dial. 3 time zones is great. Mine is typically set to ET, GMT (Red GMT hand) and Tokyo (Bezel).:-!
Thanks for the reply, Robert! And a fabulous picture of your Globy, too. I just pulled my Globemaster out of the watch box, just to make sure, and the GMT hand does indeed set exactly like a 2893-2; there's a bit of play in it, and the setting action doesn't seem quite as firm as the 2893-2, but it does click into each fraction of the hour. This is my first Bernhardt, so I can't comment on previous models. The one I got was purchased about 18 months ago, if that helps.

·
Premium Member
11,193 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Robert! And a fabulous picture of your Globy, too. I just pulled my Globemaster out of the watch box, just to make sure, and the GMT hand does indeed set exactly like a 2893-2; there's a bit of play in it, and the setting action doesn't seem quite as firm as the 2893-2, but it does click into each fraction of the hour. This is my first Bernhardt, so I can't comment on previous models. The one I got was purchased about 18 months ago, if that helps.
Thanks for the compliment. Mine is newer, I think, as it was Fred's daily wearer for a while and I got it from him about a month ago. They are terrific bargains IMHO and its interesting that the GMT function appears to have changed over time with these.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.