WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this cool L-serial 16700 from 1990 that I acquired earlier this year and it needed a full overhaul. I had my watchmaker who was a longtime Rolex tech do the service for me and have been wearing it nearly every day for the past 3 weeks. When not on my wrist, I keep it on my dresser dial up as it was running just a hair slow. After almost three weeks (exactly 19 days) it is currently -5 sec, which equates to about -.25 per day. That is darn good accuracy in my book!

I'm loving the watch with a Coke bezel and happy to have the Pepsi and black bezel inserts as well.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
-0.25 per day is great. Mine's a decade behind yours in age and times out at zero per day. In 10-years, I'll be happy if it's even close to your results.

I was focusing on the timegrapher but you can see the Explorer also:

It was just as accurate in the other positions also.

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
-0.25 per day is great. Mine's a decade behind yours in age and times out at zero per day. In 10-years, I'll be happy if it's even close to your results.

I was focusing on the timegrapher but you can see the Explorer also:

It was just as accurate in the other positions also.
That's appallingly good. Did you really need to post this to make us accuracy nuts even nuttier? :-d

Congrats to both on the extremely precise watches. My 1990 E1 is doing between +1 and +2 seconds per day after a full service. Before it was doing about +4. But I never bother to put it in any position over night. It's one the winder over night. If I do pay attention to the position I can even it out a little more but that gets too stressful.

Currently my most precise watch is my Oris TT1 GMT. It runs also at 0spd. Amazing. The same guy who regulated my Rolex did the Oris. The Oris was very constantly 8-9spd fast, except in the first one or two days after a full hand wind when it could run as much as 20 seconds fast in the first day and 12 seconds the second day. Now it's my most accurate mechanical watch, followed by a 13 year old PAM001. This one has now done + 3 seconds after three exactly WEEKS. No special care whatsoever. I just wind it fully everyday around the same time but some days I had forgotten. I think that's pretty outstanding, too. It had been overhauled by Panerai Germany for the first time in all these years last summer because I actually broke something. Different story. It was time for a service anyway. ;-)

Till

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Great news Eric! Of course, at 3 weeks straight with the GMT, the PO must be getting a bit jealous at this point!

·
Registered
335 Posts
that's great to hear... the 16700 has all the perks of the modern rolex movement, and i would be surprised if it were not up to rolex par - especially after an overhaul.

wear it with a smile!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That's appallingly good. Did you really need to post this to make us accuracy nuts even nuttier? :-d
Nah - when I got that particular watch, I recognized it was accurate. It wasn't until I obtained my timer that I was able to quantify that. I don't lose sleep over it unless it's more than 10-seconds a day and even then, I might let it go until service time.

My previous GMT was something like 20-seconds a day fast but I sold it before I had it serviced. I still regret letting that one go but I'm more than happy with the current collection.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great news Eric! Of course, at 3 weeks straight with the GMT, the PO must be getting a bit jealous at this point!
Actually, the PO gets a fair share of love...usually I wear the GMT 2 days and then the PO for 1 day, then repeat. Sometimes I wear the PO to work and then I put the GMT on for the evening. Once my Sub LV comes back from the RSC, I'm not sure what my rotation sequence will be.

I'm surprised no one called me out for the worthless thread without pictures! Here's one before I switched over to the Coke bezel.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Great looking watch, and great accuracy....

The 16700 is one of my favorites.................. buy mine aren't quite that good.........:-s

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just did another accuracy check and the 16700 is now a total of -4 after almost a full month! That's -.16 per day!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
40 days running and it is -.50 per day.

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
I think the independent watchmakers will usually take more liberty with regulating precisely to the point. They regulate with a sharp scalpel. The RSC will regulate with a spoon to leave a little safety margin.

Could you PM me, who did the regulation job for you, please? I have my watchmaker in Berlin but it would be good to know a capable one in the US.

Till

1 - 14 of 14 Posts