WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
This isn't exactly new... this in one form of the other has been in every casio watch manual as long as I can remember...

Important point here is that 200m WR does not mean that you can go down to 200m with Casio. It simply means "good enough for scuba". That means probably not deeper than 60m or so.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Most scuba divers are never going to get remotely close to 200m.... Most aren't even going to get to 50m. And like has been said if you're a serious enough diver you're diving at those depths you ain't gonna be using your G-shock for timing or anything else... You're gonna be using a dive computer.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've worn many "water resistant" only watches in the shower and even in the hot tub many times. I've held them up against the jets for an hour and pushed buttons when they're covered in soap. I swum in my Timexes when I was a kid and pushed buttons at the bottom of the pool. I've done this to Timex, Casio, and my Seiko 5s.

Here are two examples:
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Classic/F105W-1A/
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Classic/F28W-1/

They worked just fine. The only time I'd question water resistance is when it involves something special about the case, like the old vintage databank calculator that said "Telememo WR Schedule". I wouldn't trust that one. And you'll notice they stopped selling that version and took the "WR" off. :think: Everything else is identical and you never see a databank calculator with the word "water" on it anymore.

Here's another one I wouldn't do those things to:
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Databank/CA53W-1/

It's got all these little rubber buttons protruding out. I just don't trust it near water because of those little buttons.

I once saw someone go tubing down a creek wearing a remote control watch. It survived but didn't say anything about being water resistant.

I think watch companies understate their water resistance capabilities to avoid a lawsuit and because most customers are clueless and expect water resistance to last forever.

(I'm half asleep again. I'm going to bed.)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Similarly I've worn many water resistant watches and done nothing but get it wet and had it fog up and crap out.

My rule became if it didn't give a depth of at least 50m then I considered it NON water-resistant. But I'd do anything but scuba dive in it if it said 50m.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
This isn't exactly new... this in one form of the other has been in every casio watch manual as long as I can remember...

Important point here is that 200m WR does not mean that you can go down to 200m with Casio. It simply means "good enough for scuba". That means probably not deeper than 60m or so.
sorry but that is just not true. 200m means 200m = ~ 20bar. of course you can dive in this depth but not INSIDE a hull that would require a helium mixture, because the crystals could pop out. nevertheless you can go that deep with a regular dive suit theoratically (practically you won't survive it).

regards, holger

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
"Similarly I've worn many water resistant watches and done nothing but get it wet and had it fog up and crap out."

I'm dyin' to know why. Were they vintages? Exposed to something nasty? Some cheap off brand? Bad battery replacement? Calculator watches?

·
Registered
148 Posts
The only thing I do while wearing my G-Shocks is basically wash my hands and walk in the rain.

As far as I'm concerned, unless the watch is advertised as water-proof, I'm not going to take any unnecessary chances...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well I've showered with my new used DW-003 that I changed the battery on. So far no leaks.

Its really not rocket science... and I have yet to see a watch that's actually water-proof..... Probably Adan's Hydro conversions come the closest.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, unless the watch is advertised as water-proof, I'm not going to take any unnecessary chances...
I've never seen a watch advertised as water-proof, and I'd be suspicious if I did. I'd only worry about swimming in a G-Shock if it were old or S/H, in which case I'd check and lubricate the gasket.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
...of course you can dive in this depth but not INSIDE a hull that would require a helium mixture, because the crystals could pop out. nevertheless you can go that deep with a regular dive suit theoratically (practically you won't survive it)...
I love owning a watch that I'll never use the full potential of. All I do is go daily to a desk job. I don't wear mine in the shower, so the wettest the watches get is when washing my hands. To know that it could survive 200M down in water is fantastic, and a tribute to Casio's engineering.

But you gotta replace the gaskets (at least before going deep).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
"I've never seen a watch advertised as water-proof, and I'd be suspicious if I did"

They used to a loooooong time ago. Like the 70s I think. My dad used to have one. They got sued or something and had to stop because as you know if you go deep enough it will crush or leak.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Cancel the golden showers.
Just be careful of your penmanship when writing your name in the snow.

As for water resistant. My G shocks have been everywhere with me.
Swimming, snorkeling, rain, snow, sleet etc ...
The only real danger I see for mine is the banging around when working on my vehicles or climbing around while hiking.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I also have a Vostok Amphibia, but the writing on mine is in Russian, so I'm not sure what it says. The water resistance on them is good, but they're still not 'water proof'. It's probably the translation, as you say.

I own a "Water-Proof" watch! Or perhaps something got lost in translation. ;-)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts