WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I've found it quite interesting seeing the videos and the bits about the movment.
Really makes a pleasent change with the normal minimalist quartz that normally make it on kickstarter.
Good luck to them, but too expencive for me.

I would be intersted to know why the change from regular escapment though, what's the advantage for silicon?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Andi thank you for the more detailed insight into the company!
It certainly sounds like this is a test run to see how things go on a small controlled batch from doing true production and service (before moving towards bigger items). It is certainly exciting to see something a new high quality movement being born and a chance to get a hold of one of the first watches having it.

While selling just the movement might be interesting to some, I think it would certainly have been harder to do a KS then when people aren't buying a complete product. In addition as it seems like Horage/Accurat Swiss wants to see how they can handle a first run like this doing a fully finished piece.

·
Premium Member
7,020 Posts
Hello Andreas, and welcome!
Thanks for your clarification. I've not read every word of your campaign, but I read every word of your long post. I think I have a handle on what your company is and where it came from, and it makes a lot more sense to me now. Coming up as an OEM manufacturer for other Swiss brands to making your own watch (and your own movement, out of necessity) is a story I can believe, and I really wish you the best.

I also really like the story behind the Jonas K1 (dial-less watch for a proof-of-concept to your original customers who might have used your movement in their brands)... I just wish I liked the dial (and etched crystal) a little bit better! That's what's holding me back now. For $1500 USD, I have to not only appreciate the movement, I have to love the face. And I just don't in this particular circumstance.

I also agree that offering at least a 5 year warranty on the movement would be a great idea, since this is something very new and you want to ensure your customers that they'll be able to get parts and have their watch fixed if anything happens.

We regularly applaud upstarts in the industry, and it looks like you're deserving of it.

Let me know when you find a dial to put on the K1, and I'm in.

Best of luck!

Reactions: ffritz and rpm1974

·
Registered
11,674 Posts
Very good and detailed info on the history of the movement. It puts my mind at ease that this is, in fact, exactly what the creator claims. The watch itself isn't my style but I'd be interested in seeing what else the brand has to offer with this new movement down the road.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wonder if they would have fared better running a Kickstarter for just the movement? Probably not, but I would be more apt to check it out if they were selling just the movement and not the entire watch. If you believe them, that would be their innovation here, not the watch.
We thought long time if would make sens to run a campaign only with a movement as of course this movement is what makes it so special. But Kickstarter is more a consumer oriented thing and thus we decided to offer a whole watch.

We found that many people from the industry are now approaching us if we sell this movement to others and as this was our original plan we evaluate ever request. But first we want to make sure that this campaign is running well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
... but I'd be interested in seeing what else the brand has to offer with this new movement down the road.
Dear SteamJ,
as described in the history the origin of this project has two sides. One is that our main customers at our OEM traditional business could run out of movements and on the other hand that the desire to create a brand for ourselves to become independent from OEM business would be impossible without a stable supply of movements.

Building watches on standard quartz movements is relatively easy, as there is enough supply, but we love mechanical watches and we have a certain expectation on our products when it comes to uniqueness not only from the outside look, but especially in terms of what is inside. Not too many watch brands really invest into R&D and engineering which is ok, but for us a long term watch company should be able to control the inside of the watches to be relevant.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What am I looking at? A rebranded Miyota 9015?
Yes it is really thought up by ourselves. We will post technical drawings soon, so people can compare with what is on the market. It is not that easy to really stay unique as more or less everything has been invented in the watch world already in the past 200 years... The modularity in combination with the size and thickness is what nobody else has in the market. At the end however the basics of a mechanical watch remain the same pretty much in all designs and the difference comes from many details.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We regularly applaud upstarts in the industry, and it looks like you're deserving of it.
Perhaps you want to have a look onto this watch here. This is the full spec version of what can be done with this K1 movement.

AUTARK 39mm Ti | Watches | Horage

The case and bracelet is full titanium and the dial is something also nobody ever has made.

Unidirectional carbon fiber!

I come originally from making bicycles and there you know that woven style carbon actually is just for looking at it and has no function, but underneath the strength comes from unidirectional layers which when seen in the sun light makes some awesome black-gold-bronze shimmering look. Actually hard to describe, but I love it as it is so unique and we developed this manufacturing process together with the dial maker.

This is our HORAGE AUTARK K1 watch and the name also says it already. Independent full of classic mechanical tech.

It was the first watch we designed with K1.

Thanks for your support and motivating post

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would be intersted to know why the change from regular escapment though, what's the advantage for silicon?
The main reason is independence from the "strategic moods" of the big players. Being dependent in such a large project scale on one part could mean a quick end before we even have reached the target. Furthermore silicon technology has been vastly studied and perfected by Intel, Bosch... and the mikro mechanical industry and as a result process stable production capacity is available in many places.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ho boy, I'm not really sure where to begin with this one.

(This is aside from the 'we forgot the dial' thing, which can be fun on a $150 watch but just doesn't impress me much on that design.)
Dear OvrSteer,
I am sorry if I should have answered to your initial post a bit harsh, but I am new here and generally new in a forum. I understand now better that things are viewed critical especially when they are new - we humans tend to be critical with new things although all our world depends on the constant change. Please also understand that as someone like me (us) who is so long involved in the making of this K1 movement with many ups and downs on the way also could react a bit sensible;-).

So sorry about my directness and the potential flaws or misunderstandings in the content which naturally comes with not being a native English speaking person
I am sure this thread continues to be interesting.

Andi

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Very impressive!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi all,

here is something which our engineer Florian Serex a known industry insider and mechanical movement manufacturing expert put together for a speech he held in Taipei one week ago. Why does it take 7 years to design a movement like K1 and why it only takes 2-3 years to design a manufacture caliber although they are sold for often sky high prices... Question is if such high prices are justified when we think about the limitations of Manufacture designs when it comes to quality even in smaller series.

http://horage.accuratswiss.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/[email protected]

He is part of our team and to give him a face you can see him presenting on our Kickstarter page

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tch-with-a-groundbreaking-movem/posts/1255600

·
Registered
21,751 Posts
25,200bph ?

Direct competitor of Omega's Co-axial ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
25,200bph ?
We choose 25.200 because it is a good mix between 3 and 4 Hz which also results into a longer power reserve and less war on the parts with good precision results. Faster Hz creates more problems due to acceleration of parts which we wanted to avoid.

Direct competitor of Omega's Co-axial ?
It is known that the Co-axial has problems on 4 Hz due to acceleration of parts so Omega reduced it to 3.5 Hz which is also the beat we chose by accident and for reasons above. The technology however is totally different from ours. Jonas our engineer actually got to know the inventor of Co-axial in person before he died. His name was George Daniels born in London and was living on Isle of Men.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If nothing else, it certainly is interesting to see what becomes of this effort. It seems as if they have been at this for a while now, given the previous literature of the development of the K1 movement.

I wonder if they would have fared better running a Kickstarter for just the movement? Probably not, but I would be more apt to check it out if they were selling just the movement and not the entire watch. If you believe them, that would be their innovation here, not the watch.
I think I forgot to reply on this idea.

Yes indeed the movement is the innovation but, just shipping a movement to consumers would not really enable us to create a successful Kickstarter campaign, which is only consumer oriented. However we also have to keep in mind that this look of the watch can only be done with this movement as it is module free and thus creates this look which we liked. No other movement can create this look except if one makes a manufacture movement with a similar layout.

We also though a lot about the idea to make the movement open and accessible for the "hacking"-community so engineers could built cool functions additional on top. A bit like an open Source project where K1 could serve as a base. But this is just idea stage and not yet actively pursued.

Cu Andi

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are there actual pictures of this watch, other than the renders on the site? Could you post a real photograph of the carbon dial?

Perhaps you want to have a look onto this watch here. This is the full spec version of what can be done with this K1 movement.

AUTARK 39mm Ti | Watches | Horage

The case and bracelet is full titanium and the dial is something also nobody ever has made.

Unidirectional carbon fiber!

I come originally from making bicycles and there you know that woven style carbon actually is just for looking at it and has no function, but underneath the strength comes from unidirectional layers which when seen in the sun light makes some awesome black-gold-bronze shimmering look. Actually hard to describe, but I love it as it is so unique and we developed this manufacturing process together with the dial maker.

This is our HORAGE AUTARK K1 watch and the name also says it already. Independent full of classic mechanical tech.

It was the first watch we designed with K1.

Thanks for your support and motivating post

21 - 40 of 173 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.