1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ref: 5177BR/29/9V6
http://www.breguet.com/en/5177BA-29-9V6

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

So, I saw this watch at a Breguet store recently - my first mistake was walking in the store - wow.... I've been spending a lot of time looking at Rolex and Omega, but once I saw this store (and this watch) I was just floored - enamel dial, blued steel hands, beautiful rose-gold case, coin-edge case... anyway, long story short, I really would love this watch - but I can't shell out the money it would take to get it. Apparently it's one of their more popular models - what I really like is the purity and simplicity, and of course the enamel dial.

Does anyone have any recommendations for close approximations, that would have the same elegance and style - but at a lower price point (say under $5k?)? I've had trouble finding many other watches at all that have enamel dials - the closest I've seen are some old Omega porcelain vintage watches from the 1930s/40s with hand-painted dials.

Anyway, any other ideas would be most welcome.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Never...tempt...yourself...with...purchases...you...can't...afford. ;-)

Well rec'd iim7.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
U might be able to take out a mortgage for it against the house.

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
Try a Chronoswiss Kairos CH 2843
but available in only guilloche style dial, not enamel?

Never...tempt...yourself...with...purchases...you...can't...afford.
Accept...no...substitute.

Everything you say about the 5177 is so very true, nydad. I'm not sure it has an equal. Maybe you could post a WTB on puristpro's Collector's Market, and let the Breguet ADs in your area know you're interested in the event one of their customers trades one in, and check chrono24 periodically.

You will want to avoid Bob's (iim7's) excellent pictures of his in other threads, including the close-up detail of the minute markers. Each of those arabics is hand-painted on to the dial, you know. Definitely avoid the video on youtube of the Breguet manufactory too.

You have exceptionally fine taste in timepieces.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
How about a Stowa Marine Automatic? No breguet hands, no fluted case band, no gold, the lugs are different but its gets somewhat close and from a brand that at least some here seem to respect (to varying degrees of course)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You will want to avoid Bob's (iim7's) excellent pictures of his in other threads...
When I got back from my trip (I saw the watch in Dubai - amazing place to shop for watches by the way...), I started researching it online and one of the first things i came across was iim7's luscious shots of his beautiful Breguet, so I've already seen all of those shots. grrr....

The handpainting, the way the blue seconds hand just reaches the edge, the gentle sweep of the movement... it really makes Rolexes look rather garish. I'm starting to understand why this forum exists apart from the others - there is something different in these high-end watches. I had a chance to see ALS and Ulysse Nardin and a few others as well...

I think someday I will be able to afford it, just not now. Thanks for the other suggestions everyone - some I knew of but most I didn't - I've been looking at the Stowe, and also at the Dornbluth & Sohn (like this one D.Dornblüth & Sohn » COLLECTION EN) - the D&S watches seem rather customizeable, so I could even ask for other mods (I saw one fellow here who had raised numerals that were blued on one of these - looked quite nice). Anyway, I will dig further, if you have additional suggestions send 'em along... The seagull is a very nice piece, maybe that would tide me over for a while for a very low price...

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are multitudes of lesser cost watches available with this basic dial layout. Of course, they won't be Breguet, they won't be gold, they won't have an enamel dial, and they won't have the same degree of finishing.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I think someday I will be able to afford it, just not now. Thanks for the other suggestions everyone - some I knew of but most I didn't - I've been looking at the Stowe, and also at the Dornbluth & Sohn (like this one D.Dornblüth & Sohn » COLLECTION EN) - the D&S watches seem rather customizeable, so I could even ask for other mods (I saw one fellow here who had raised numerals that were blued on one of these - looked quite nice). Anyway, I will dig further, if you have additional suggestions send 'em along... The seagull is a very nice piece, maybe that would tide me over for a while for a very low price...
You don't NEED an alternative watch right now. You simply want to scratch an itch - but the problem is that the scrathing won't satisfy the itching. If you don't buy an alternative watch it might take you 2 years to save for the Breguet. If you do buy an alternative watch it might take you 3 years to buy the Breguet? Why punish yourself?

Here's what I would do. I would open a bank account and call it my "Breguet fund". I would watch (forgive the pun) the balance rise and rise with every small deposit as the time goes by. When it hit that magic mark I would buy the Breguet. JUST HOW COOL WOULD THAT FEEL?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You don't NEED an alternative watch right now. You simply want to scratch an itch - but the problem is that the scrathing won't satisfy the itching. If you don't buy an alternative watch it might take you 2 years to save for the Breguet. If you do buy an alternative watch it might take you 3 years to buy the Breguet? Why punish yourself?

Here's what I would do. I would open a bank account and call it my "Breguet fund". I would watch (forgive the pun) the balance rise and rise with every small deposit as the time goes by. When it hit that magic mark I would buy the Breguet. JUST HOW COOL WOULD THAT FEEL?
It's a good point. I guess I still haven't gotten used to the idea of spending so much money on a watch... But I like the idea of a Breguet fund. Perhaps I'll stick some money in a higher-risk mutual fund, and if it grows nicely I can reward myself with a watch (if it doesn't grow, it means the economy is tanking, and I shouldn't be buying Breguets anyway...)

·
Registered
540 Posts

My philosophy explained in a post.

Where are you born GETS? I want to organise a pilgrimage :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
12 Posts
No,no,no, you're reasoning is terribly misguided! Frank Lloyd Wright once quipped (not the exact quote): "I first make sure I'm surrounded by beautiful things; the necessities will take care of themselves."

Of course, I speak as a 5177 owner (in white gold) as of two weeks ago. I think it's simply one of the most exquisite
objects I've ever owned and my wife who bought it for me said I shouldn't feel at all guilty that she spent more on it than I ever have on jewelry for her including sapphire diamond rings and Tahitian pearl necklaces.

Buy it, not a substitute even if you have to delay your gratification for a year or two.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
thats an absolute beauty you are in love with and I would suggest saving up for it..nothing would beat that...take your time doing that :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Of course, I speak as a 5177 owner (in white gold) as of two weeks ago. I think it's simply one of the most exquisite
objects I've ever owned
Congrats on your acquisition! I couldn't agree more. There is something about this watch, its simplicity, that is stunning. I've never seen such a graceful combination of elements. Breguet has a lot more watches that are quite busy (and rather more expensive), but the purity of the 5177 cannot be denied.

And yes, if I bought this, it would also probably be more than I've ever spent on my wife. One good piece of news is my wife is onboard - she is French and knows Breguet, and she is happy that I want beautiful things. I think one of my mistakes has been to try to find watches that look like it - no matter what other watch I find, it will never be the same - there will always be something that is *worse* than the Breguet. So, maybe I choose a very different direction, find cheaper watch to scratch a different itch (I'm also into russian mechanicals, very inexpensive!), and start saving up for this one.

I think for those reading this thread, a recommendation - don't go into a Breguet boutique, ever, unless you're ready to spend... Once you've seen these watches, you can't un-see them. It's just a recipe for longing, and an eventual purchase...

·
Registered
12 Posts
But more practically, I would just keep my eyes pealed on the sites of those reputable dealers who specialize in used and estate sales of Swiss watches. I would not hesitate to purchase a used watch from a reputable dealer/trader.

In a way it's a way of bonding with someone who shared your tastes rather than a salesman who needs to meet a quota. One on my wife's favortite pieces comes from an estate sale ans she likes it much more than new things she typically sees in Tiffany's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts