WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm also in search of a new watch but my friend is a 'fanatic' diver and wants to buy a new dive watch.
Like me he also loves 'big' watches...

Could anyone help him out?

So he wants a +45mm dive watch, round, +-1000-1500 dollars.

Thanks!

Grtz

·
Registered
363 Posts
For the money, I would say a Korsbek. It is 45mm wide, 54mm lug end-to-lug end, and 17mm tall. It is a huge watch, and a very well made watch. The next large diver I could suggest is the Omega Planet Ocean XL, it may be a bit over your $1500.00 budget, but you might be able to find one on a rubber strap used for around your price. The PO comes in at 45.5mm wide and wears allot larger! Good luck on your search!

·
Banned
534 Posts
For the money, I would say a Korsbek. It is 45mm wide, 54mm lug end-to-lug end, and 17mm tall. It is a huge watch, and a very well made watch. The next large diver I could suggest is the Omega Planet Ocean XL, it may be a bit over your $1500.00 budget, but you might be able to find one on a rubber strap used for around your price. The PO comes in at 45.5mm wide and wears allot larger! Good luck on your search!
You beat me to it re: Korsbek. Perfect for a fanatical diver. These are tremendously good watches. Superb quality and both of mine have accuracy of <+1 second. Crazy good watches.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
If Doxa still is honoring the $1890 presale price for the 4000T nodecomp bezel (and my understanding was that they would until the sapphire bezel model was available), you couldn't do better for a quality, large-frame watch (at 47mm). And it is closer to your budget than the Omega PO XL.

Alternatively, you could consider the Zenton M45, at a very large 45mm x 18mm, boasting a top-grade ETA 2824 and the ability to semi-customize your watch. At under $900, it is a pretty good deal. Zixen makes several large case watches that also "wear" large. Helson's Shark Diver 2000m is essentially the same as the Zenton, but with a Miyota movement and a much lower price. Finally, if you want to get a big watch for both of you for your intended single watch budget, you can't go wrong with Stan and his Deep Blue watches ... well-made, large case watches with great CS.

Of course, if you're primarily interested in really big watches, there's always Inflicta. ;-) The Grand Diver Pro automatic is, by their standards, a "small" watch at 47mm.

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Citizen Autozilla.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Magalodon...or Zixen Heliox...both great watches from great companies with great CS...you can't get wrong with either one....

·
Registered
363 Posts
You beat me to it re: Korsbek. Perfect for a fanatical diver. These are tremendously good watches. Superb quality and both of mine have accuracy of <+1 second. Crazy good watches.
Yes excellent accuracy, and Swiss adjusted movement. But it may just be us West Coast boys that like Korsbek!

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
at 44.5mm this watch is a winner, cheap, in house automatic movement and very good looking.

Reactions: Boxer

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
In that size range you've got a LOT of great choices, among the great suggestions already offered above, I'll offer another... it's 47mm, but thanks it's tapered case shape it wears a bit smaller, but still feels robust and sizable of the wrist, though much, much more comfortable than any other 47 I've ever worn. My sweet spot is 44-45mm, and this wears like that. Quality is superb, and with titanium construction, HEV, domed sapphire, ceramic bezel, 1000M and a great movement... and since it can be found at <$1,800, (I was able to find mine for $1,600), it's a serious contender...

ORIS Titan 'c' small seconds

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
Way under the budget....but I am seriously happy with the Anchar (it comes in at a hefty 48mm).

At the price point is the DWatch Stingray at 46mm

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If Doxa still is honoring the $1890 presale price for the 4000T nodecomp bezel (and my understanding was that they would until the sapphire bezel model was available), you couldn't do better for a quality, large-frame watch (at 47mm). And it is closer to your budget than the Omega PO XL.
This is now the second time I've come across a post that says the 4000T is a 47 mm watch, but I just don't see how they come up with that number. On Doxa's web site it says 44.7 mm in one place but then another says 47 mm including the crown protection and 44 mm without the protection. It also says that the bezel diameter is 40.8 mm and the lug to lug is 48 mm. Certainly doesn't seem like it meets the OP's size requirement, and seems smaller than the 5000 as well...

There are a couple of Glycine Lagunares that are 46 mm under the $1,500 price limit - perhaps quite a bit under if you're willing to consider pre-owned. I have both the internal and external bezel versions and they're both fantastic watches.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Korsbek is an obvious choice, but you may have to turn to the secondhand market to find one. Of course, the limited edition Ocean Explorer is long sold out, but the Oceaneer may be, too. Only a few were left as of a few weeks ago, all with yellow second hands.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Having both the Doxa 5000 and 4000, I can tell you that the 4000 is NOT smaller than the 5000! Without measuring it, I would say that 47mm is about right as it is decidedly bigger than my Omega PO 45.5.

While I'm at it, I'd also recommend the 4000. It's big with a great classic face (especially orange), a cool though somewhat contentious Power Reserve, and a spectacular crystal that domes into it's entirely unique no deco bezel.

There is talk of Doxa prices going back up this summer so if your friend ever had an Interest in the brand, this would be a good time to get one! :)

Deacon

4000T vs 800Ti (same size as 5000T):

4000T:

5000T:

PO 45.5:

One more of the nicely executed bezel/crystal dome:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts