WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Just wanted to toss in some props for my inexpensive but very nice Red Line Boost chronograph quartz watch. I picked this up on Amazon during the holiday shopping madness for $69.00. I was expecting a decent quartz fashion watch but got quite a bit more than I bargained for - in a good way - so I thought I'd take a few pix and write a short review.

It arrived in a very nice box (sorry, did not photograph that) with a pleasing cushion, instructions, 5-year warranty card, etc. Nicely done, if not unexpected.

After opening it up Christmas day, I was stunned at the quality of the bracelet. It is a beautiful stainless steel with a nice satin finish, it is thick and chunky, with nice heft, solid end-links, a very well-constructed clasp, and just a much more expensive look than I was expecting.

Nice, solid two-button clasp with a solid and secure cover. Nothing fancy but well done.

Red Line logo etched into the SS clasp. Looks nice.

The watch itself is a really nice race-inspired design with a hacking Japanese quartz movement (I wish I knew which one), a mineral crystal (bummer but so far no scratches), skeleton hour and minute hands, sub-dials for seconds, minutes and 24/hrs, the Red Line "red" screw down crown, screw-on back and a black non-moving bezel. It is rated to 100 Meters. I have no idea if it would pass testing, but I have showered with it with no issues. Like any good quartz watch, it is keeping very accurate time. No issues there. It has a 44mm width, but due to the wide 22mm band, it wears a bit larger than that. The red silicone covering on the crown is something I wasn't too thrilled about at first, wishing instead it was anodized aluminum, but I have grown to like it this way. No biggie. Interestingly, the black surrounds for the chronograph start/stop and reset buttons are made of aluminum. Go figure. Anyway...

...back to the band. Love it!! I get so many compliments on this watch due to the band that I suppose I might have to swap it to another watch at some point! I gig with this watch regularly (bassist for hire here!!) and it has taken quite a beating and it keeps on ticking and looking nice. No complaints in that regard. Apparently, it looks good from the stage too! LOL ;-)

Ok... so what don't I like? The lume. Hate it. I tried to capture a shot of it at it's very best below. Realize that from this point, it will decrease in effectiveness by about 80% in 1 minute, then become totally useless in 5. Not a good nighttime watch to say the least. Truly I can't complain, and clearly Red Line had to make budget decisions on this watch... so the lume was an afterthought. I also wish the Red Line logo on the face was a bit more robust to better match the crown. A bit of red on the second hand would also have been appreciated, as it can get lost easily when looking at the dial quickly. And... if I have to complain... the 3 secondary windows give a nice vibe to the watch, but are really too small to be of any true value. These are just nitpicks though. It is a very nice watch.

Ok. So that's about it. Red Line did a nice job with this one. Looks sporty, gives every indication that it is well made, has an excellent bracelet/band, nice face design and the 5-year warranty is always a plus, although I have no experience dealing with Red Line so can't say if this is worth anything or not. I'd say you get more than your moneys worth with this one.

Cheers!!

·
Premium Member
14,787 Posts
Congratulations, glad you are pleased with your purchase, wear it proudly. I have a redline auto by accident, and it surprised me as well.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Nice pick up, you'll get lots of enjoyment out of that one.
It's a good looking watch and for $69 the movement could seize and the bracelet would be worth almost that much.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Very nice!! I like the dial layout. Looks pretty cool with the sub dials in a straight line above the 6. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Yes. It's a pretty fun watch. Being a quartz, it is not as desirable to me in any way as an automatic, but for $69, I think I really hits the ball right out of the park.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got two Redline Compressor watches last Christmas (one silver, one charcoal), and I was/am very impressed by the quality for the price. Very solid feel. The bracelet on the OP's model looks terrific.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I have a few RedLine watches - indeed, they are great for what they are. Comfortable, reliable, and great bang-for-the-buck.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Nice looking chrono. I really love the bracelet. Almost tempting to pick one up for that alone.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hey guys,

Just wanted to toss in some props for my inexpensive but very nice Red Line Boost chronograph quartz watch. I picked this up on Amazon during the holiday shopping madness for $69.00. I was expecting a decent quartz fashion watch but got quite a bit more than I bargained for - in a good way - so I thought I'd take a few pix and write a short review.

It arrived in a very nice box (sorry, did not photograph that) with a pleasing cushion, instructions, 5-year warranty card, etc. Nicely done, if not unexpected.

After opening it up Christmas day, I was stunned at the quality of the bracelet. It is a beautiful stainless steel with a nice satin finish, it is thick and chunky, with nice heft, solid end-links, a very well-constructed clasp, and just a much more expensive look than I was expecting.

Nice, solid two-button clasp with a solid and secure cover. Nothing fancy but well done.

Red Line logo etched into the SS clasp. Looks nice.

The watch itself is a really nice race-inspired design with a hacking Japanese quartz movement (I wish I knew which one), a mineral crystal (bummer but so far no scratches), skeleton hour and minute hands, sub-dials for seconds, minutes and 24/hrs, the Red Line "red" screw down crown, screw-on back and a black non-moving bezel. It is rated to 100 Meters. I have no idea if it would pass testing, but I have showered with it with no issues. Like any good quartz watch, it is keeping very accurate time. No issues there. It has a 44mm width, but due to the wide 22mm band, it wears a bit larger than that. The red silicone covering on the crown is something I wasn't too thrilled about at first, wishing instead it was anodized aluminum, but I have grown to like it this way. No biggie. Interestingly, the black surrounds for the chronograph start/stop and reset buttons are made of aluminum. Go figure. Anyway...

...back to the band. Love it!! I get so many compliments on this watch due to the band that I suppose I might have to swap it to another watch at some point! I gig with this watch regularly (bassist for hire here!!) and it has taken quite a beating and it keeps on ticking and looking nice. No complaints in that regard. Apparently, it looks good from the stage too! LOL ;-)

Ok... so what don't I like? The lume. Hate it. I tried to capture a shot of it at it's very best below. Realize that from this point, it will decrease in effectiveness by about 80% in 1 minute, then become totally useless in 5. Not a good nighttime watch to say the least. Truly I can't complain, and clearly Red Line had to make budget decisions on this watch... so the lume was an afterthought. I also wish the Red Line logo on the face was a bit more robust to better match the crown. A bit of red on the second hand would also have been appreciated, as it can get lost easily when looking at the dial quickly. And... if I have to complain... the 3 secondary windows give a nice vibe to the watch, but are really too small to be of any true value. These are just nitpicks though. It is a very nice watch.

Ok. So that's about it. Red Line did a nice job with this one. Looks sporty, gives every indication that it is well made, has an excellent bracelet/band, nice face design and the 5-year warranty is always a plus, although I have no experience dealing with Red Line so can't say if this is worth anything or not. I'd say you get more than your moneys worth with this one.

Cheers!!
Far for me to resurrect an old thread but couldnt help commenting on this stunning watch.. I own a Red Line Rally and i know how Red line is one of the best value for money watches..Excellent fit and finish...
Im hunting down this Model its been a while..I came across the pics and all i can saw its a stunner...Hope your enjoying it and still kicking ass after 2 years...

Note that i found it on Amazon.ca for 80$ free hipping...pulling the trigger..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts