WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

261 - 280 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi all

Just got a 103 st sa on bracelet (2028 dated). The top of the case is brushed. I was expecting a polished finish... so unsure about it. any help appreciated!

Envoyé de mon SM-A300F en utilisant Tapatalk
A picture would help. My 103 st sa is polished. Only part of it that looks a bit satinized is the lower side, where the case transitions to the screw down bottom (with sapphire glass).

Reactions: longstride

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Thanks it’s an original Tropic Sport these were used on the 103 in the 60’s-80’s

·
Registered
311 Posts
Don't know the year of production or service history. For almost a year back, has been working with no issue. My acrylic buddy. It will be serviced soon, while I am on the summer vocation.Will service locally, it's to expensive and need to much time to sent in Germany. Is there any idea how to know year of production?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
I would reach out to Sinn in Germany with the serial number and they will give you the year and month of production.

Reactions: Nesoni

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Guys, how's the lume on the newer 103 models, manufactured, say, in the last 5-10 years?

I love this watch, but if the lume doesn't last through the night it'd be a deal breaker. Doesn't have to be a torch, I just need it to be legible in a dark room in the pre-dawn hours.

Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey Guys, how's the lume on the newer 103 models, manufactured, say, in the last 5-10 years?

I love this watch, but if the lume doesn't last through the night it'd be a deal breaker. Doesn't have to be a torch, I just need it to be legible in a dark room in the pre-dawn hours.

Thanks!
It depends on how dark your room is. I remember staying at a farmhouse out in the country with no streetlights around, and getting up for a bathroom visit at around 4 am, several hours after shutting off the lights and going to bed. I could read the time on my 103 from across the room.

I'd imagine that the same would not be true of my apartment, with lights leaking in all over the place.

But to challenge your requirements a bit, would that really be a deal-breaker? I believe you if you say you absolutely must be able to read the time from your mechanical chronograph pre-dawn, but I can't think of a situation where that's been necessary for me personally. I have a digital alarm clock and a digital Casio watch that both sit by my bed. I might be the last human alive to not have a cell phone, but my wife has one and I imagine you do too.

But again, you're the best judge of your own needs.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Thanks!
My 103 is 2 years old. I hit it with a flashlight when going to bed, and can still clearly read the time at 4-5 AM.

Cam

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Dennis, thanks for the feedback and the very valid counterpoint.

Yeah, it'd definitely be a dealbreaker. I wear a watch 24/7 and every night I wear something that has legible lume for the 4-5AM clock check. I don't use an alarm clock and I'm one of those people (psychosomatic, maybe) who just can't sleep well with ANY light nearby. I turn my cell off. In a perfect world, I'd want the only light in the room to be emitted from my watch dial (weird, I know).

When I'm at home, I frequently wear a less-luminous watch for daytime and throw one of my diver's on for bedtime. When I travel, which is about 40 nights a year, I prefer to bring only one watch. I get the feeling that, given my longstanding lust for the 103, I would want that to be my travel watch...but the lume's key for a travel watch for me.

Tonight I'm wearing an Armida that I practically need a welding mask to look at.

In a world where we can receive 4K video from Mars, or use CRISPR to custom design babies, I think it's very reasonable to expect lume that still packs punch after 8 hours, particularly on a tool watch. In fact, single-coat C1 can straight to hell. There, I said it. :)

OK, so, I'm mostly joking there, but yes, I'm a lume-guy.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. I love insight on the 103 here as well as the pics you've all posted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Awesome. Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to hear.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Dennis, thanks for the feedback and the very valid counterpoint.

Yeah, it'd definitely be a dealbreaker. I wear a watch 24/7 and every night I wear something that has legible lume for the 4-5AM clock check. I don't use an alarm clock and I'm one of those people (psychosomatic, maybe) who just can't sleep well with ANY light nearby. I turn my cell off. In a perfect world, I'd want the only light in the room to be emitted from my watch dial (weird, I know).

When I'm at home, I frequently wear a less-luminous watch for daytime and throw one of my diver's on for bedtime. When I travel, which is about 40 nights a year, I prefer to bring only one watch. I get the feeling that, given my longstanding lust for the 103, I would want that to be my travel watch...but the lume's key for a travel watch for me.

Tonight I'm wearing an Armida that I practically need a welding mask to look at.

In a world where we can receive 4K video from Mars, or use CRISPR to custom design babies, I think it's very reasonable to expect lume that still packs punch after 8 hours, particularly on a tool watch. In fact, single-coat C1 can straight to hell. There, I said it. :)

OK, so, I'm mostly joking there, but yes, I'm a lume-guy.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. I love insight on the 103 here as well as the pics you've all posted.

Cool, totally respect that! The 103 is definitely not a torch, but in my experience it does level out and maintain a soft glow throughout the night.

I'm a traveler too (music) and the 103 is my constant companion. I throw my Casio in my bag to use as an alarm clock on the road, but the 103 stays on my wrist. Lately TSA has been letting me wear it through the scanners, which is cool. I used to dread putting it through the x-ray machine. Not that I thought the machine would cause any harm; I just didn't like it being off my wrist and out of sight in such a busy place.

Mine is the standard 103 st acrylic, no second time zone or gmt functions. But that's never bothered me at all. Invariably the flight attendants announce the local time when we land, and I just set the time right then and there. But, almost got in trouble once in Kentucky, where I had a gig in Bowling Green one day and then in Lexington the next. I didn't know about the switch from Central to Eastern in the middle of that state!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I find the night time legibility of my Sinn 103 to be pretty good. I was careful with my words there because owning a watch with skeleton hands has taught me that there's more to telling the time in the dark than just having bright lume.

There isn't that much lume on the 103 compared with most dive watches, but the lume that is there shines bright and the design of the dial and hands helps with legibility.

What that means is that after a few hours it's easier to read the time on my Sinn 103 than it is on my seamaster.

·
Registered
839 Posts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow that's a stunner. What reference is it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

261 - 280 of 368 Posts