WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

281 - 300 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I'm surprised no one has shown this variant yet. It dates back to 1997 when Bell & Ross was just a few years old and all their chronographs were made for them by the Sinn Watch Company. This was their entry level piece called, "Classic B". Classic = handwound movement w/acrylic crystal; B = all black dial. You could get this in 8 different styles.

Their collaboration with Sinn produced the best chronographs Bell & Ross ever sold; all contained integral chronograph movements: Valjoux/ETA 77XX and the long defunct, but venerable, Lemania 5100.

heb

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm surprised no one has shown this variant yet. It dates back to 1997 when Bell & Ross was just a few years old and all their chronographs were made for them by the Sinn Watch Company. This was their entry level piece called, "Classic B". Classic = handwound movement w/acrylic crystal; B = all black dial. You could get this in 8 different styles.

Their collaboration with Sinn produced the best chronographs Bell & Ross ever sold; all contained integral chronograph movements: Valjoux/ETA 77XX and the long defunct, but venerable, Lemania 5100.

heb

Gorgeous! Looks so similar to my contemporary 103 acrylic, but there's just something about a hand-wound chronograph. It's a dream of mine to one day own a 60s or 70s Sinn with a manual movement.

·
Registered
178 Posts
As the happy owner of a 104 (white dial), I have been looking at a 103 (black dial) for my next purchase. I have owned and dispensed with quartz chronometers in the past and would like to add an automatic to my growing collection of better watches. In doing my research online I've run into one stumbling block. Every other person on these boards has told me that if I don't buy a Speedmaster, specifically a Moonwatch variant, I will regret it. Obviously I am exaggerating, but I don't think the Speedy love is a figment of my imagination. Obviously there's a price differential between the two, a new 103 gets me "close" to the outlay for a used Speedmaster Moonwatch. But I thought this thread was the right place to gather opinions on why I might consider the 103 (or another Sinn chronograph) over the Omega icon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
As the happy owner of a 104 (white dial), I have been looking at a 103 (black dial) for my next purchase. I have owned and dispensed with quartz chronometers in the past and would like to add an automatic to my growing collection of better watches. In doing my research online I've run into one stumbling block. Every other person on these boards has told me that if I don't buy a Speedmaster, specifically a Moonwatch variant, I will regret it. Obviously I am exaggerating, but I don't think the Speedy love is a figment of my imagination. Obviously there's a price differential between the two, a new 103 gets me "close" to the outlay for a used Speedmaster Moonwatch. But I thought this thread was the right place to gather opinions on why I might consider the 103 (or another Sinn chronograph) over the Omega icon.
I'm a crazy spaceflight history fan, so of course the Speedy will always have a special place in my heart.
My suggestion: if you want a Speedy, buy one. It's not much more expensive than a high-end Sinn chronograph, and used it's about the same. Don't buy the 103 as a placeholder hoping it will scratch that itch.
Having said that, if you want a 103, buy it! It's every bit as deserving of love. It has its own history, its own charm, and its own features. It's also more likely to withstand daily use and abuse.
I've never regretted my 103, but that's because I bought it for what it is rather than as a stand-in for something else. If a Speedy is what you want, you might be disappointed!
Happy purchasing.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've owned and enjoyed the 103 St and 356, and think the 103 is a very satisfying watch -- one of the great classic flieger chronos and compares very well with the best of that class, including the IWC 370x, IMO. But a Speedy is a Speedy -- history and pedigree, caliber and hand-winding, case shape and fit, dial layout legibility, crystal and durability, overall gestalt, and I don't think a 103 quite ticks all of the Speedmaster Pro boxes. If you yearn for a Speedy get a Speedy -- plenty of other 103 variants, and other Sinns, to aspire after later on.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've owned and enjoyed the 103 St and 356, and think the 103 is a very satisfying watch -- one of the great classic flieger chronos and compares very well with the best of that class, including the IWC 370x, IMO. But a Speedy is a Speedy -- history and pedigree, caliber and hand-winding, case shape and fit, dial layout legibility, crystal and durability, overall gestalt, and I don't think a 103 quite ticks all of the Speedmaster Pro boxes. If you yearn for a Speedy get a Speedy -- plenty of other 103 variants, and other Sinns, to aspire after later on.
Just to have an opinion from the other side:
the 103 plexy is widely called "The German Speedmaster" and not by chance. With loads of ups versus the Speedy Pro: turning 60 min bezel, better visibility, day-date, better waterresistance - and the story goes back to the sixties-seventies. I you wish you can find a pre-loved hand-winding one. If you wish you can buy a Valjoux 72 driven one but that is pricey by today. If someone does not wear a Sub they often wear the Speedy Pro... you don't see the Sinn every minute. Don't get me wrong, the Speedy Pro is an absolutely fantastic watch! Just if you don't want to swim on the waves...
I was talking to a young guy not long ago who was a watchmaker in a Rolex Authorized Service and I was just wearing my 103 St plexy that he saw: He told me that he was so happy to see it because loads of persons wearing Rolex or Breitling or Omega just show off while someone who wears this Sinn surely loves watches. It was interesting to hear as my preferred brand is Breitling (with one of the runner-ups Sinn) and I wear most often Breitlings :)
Hope this helps.
38600352_1807975199248312_3299710325682601984_o.jpg 62268865_331152697542125_1469728467137331200_n.jpg

281 - 300 of 368 Posts