WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

321 - 340 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
...I love the vintage 103 ti SRS. This is a rare Version of the 103 with SINNs interpretation of the 7750 as FLYBACK (German SRS = SchnellRückstellSystem).
Produced on demand only for a short period of 2 years with SRS print. A older version with "flyback" also exists. Both ti ans steel were sold, according to SINN the ti-Version in very small numbers.

View attachment 14912183
Good one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, I've loved the 103 for a long time and have finally decided it will be my next watch. Is there a version that has both the day of the week window and the UTC function, or can these not exist together on the same watch?

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
These have become my two favorite strap's for my 103.

Rustic leather....

...and below the vintage Tropic 'Sport' as originally fitted in the 70's and 80's...

Reactions: webicons

·
Registered
910 Posts
So, I've loved the 103 for a long time and have finally decided it will be my next watch. Is there a version that has both the day of the week window and the UTC function, or can these not exist together on the same watch?
These watches are made on ETA-Valjoux 7750 family base. There is no such model within this (or Sellita) family that has both the weekday and 2nd time zone feature. With COVID time and more home-office while less travel weekday gains, 2nd time zone loses in popularity I think, while it is cca. 500 Euro less expensive that the 2nd time zone version. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That would be my ideal watch! I had the Breitling Chronoliner, which was a Chrono with date and GMT functions.

But it was just to big (46mm) so I ended up selling it. If the 103 had a 24 hour bezel, then you could use it to measure a 2nd time zone.

Nonetheless, love the 103. One of the best looking chronos I my opinion so I finally got one a couple of months back. Then added the 158 a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
"In praise of the 103..."

Picked up a 103 Acrylic last week. Unfortunately, I only had it in hand for a few minutes before it was on its way back to the dealer...

I loved everything about the watch besides the bezel action. I knew going in that the watch had a free spinning friction bezel, but on my example it appeared that Sinn overlooked the "friction" part. It was just too loose and felt like a toy on a watch with such a prominent reputation. Are there any 103 St owners that have the same experience? Like I mentioned, the watch felt great on the wrist and I already had a few cool strap combos in mind. Heres a wrist shot of the watch when I first opened the box. Hopefully I can try another Sinn in the near future
Pretty strange encounter with Watch Buys today stemming from my above post from over two years ago in May 2018. I thought it would be helpful to document for any forum members thinking about picking up a watch from them. As my original post states, I picked up a Sinn 103 from WBs in May 2018. I had the watch in my hands for a few minutes before boxing it up and sending it back the same day. Although I understood the 103 had a friction fit bezel, the watch I was sent had a loose, free spinning bezel (it could be spun by lightly dragging one finger along edge). Not happy with the lack of quality, I informed WBs about the issue and sent it back. Matt, the WB rep I dealt with at the time, advised that I was on the hook for the return shipping because the watch was inspected by their "Sinn watchmaker" and deemed "within spec." The encounter left a bad taste in my mouth but at the end of the day it was my word against their's. I ate the return shipping and moved on with my life.

Fast forward over two years, I wanted to try out another Sinn model and narrowed it down to the UX or U1 SDR. I called WBs a few times this week to discuss the different dive models with no issues (admittedly, everyone was helpful and courteous). However, just prior to placing an order today with their Sinn rep Jim for a U1 SDR, the call took an awkward turn. He mentioned that he noticed I created a new WB account today and that he ran my name/info in the system. Unbeknownst to me, it turns out I still "had an account with them" but the account "was flagged" back in May 2018 because of my post on Watchuseek. Jim read the notes on file from 2018 and stated WBs had taken a significant loss on the 103 I sent back because it had to be "sold as used." A little taken back, I went on the defensive and justified trying on the watch over two years ago. Regardless of the now-known nuances in WBs return policy, I said it is unrealistic to expect consumers to refrain from trying on and inspecting expensive watches that are bought sight unseen. In fact, I would have never even noticed the loose bezel issue without taking off the plastic surrounding the case (or any other dial/case defect for that matter, if one had arose). Relying on their case notes, Jim persisted that the watch was "within spec" and that the issue was that "I tried it on" as opposed to simply lying it across my wrist with the plastics still attached. Looking back, I think the real issue was that I posted wearing the watch and questioned/criticized its quality. Jim closed out the conversation by stating, "because your account is flagged, any future purchases have to be made via wire transfer" and that he was still "happy to answer any other remaining questions I have." In sum, I hung up without placing an order and a little aggravated.

At this point, I regret posting critical impressions and a wrist shot of the watch, just as I regret not taking a video of the bezel to demonstrate what was deemed "within spec." Even if Sinn/WBs found issue with me posting about the watch here, I have a hard time believing that it was "used" due to my handling. I opened the box, looked it over, tried it on, (took a picture), and put it back in the box exactly how I received it. I found an email chain from May 10, 2018 where I received the return authorization from WBs at 2:52 p.m. and I exchanged the return tracking info after dropping it off at UPS at 4:38 p.m. The wrist shot in my original post is timestamped, "May 10, 2018 at 2:38 p.m." As a dealer trying to sell a watch without a showroom, it is pretty inappropriate for WBs to assert, two years later, that the 103 I returned was "within spec." Further, the fact that WBs "took a loss" trying to resell a returned, defective watch...sounds more like the cost of doing business? It's unfortunate that this is a "my word vs. your word" situation that blackballs me from buying a new Sinn in the future. Nonetheless, I still think it is important to document my experience with WBs as a reference for anyone on WUS thinking about buying one of their watches. I never experienced something like this in my ten or so years on the forums and buying watches. I welcome the forum's input, as well as WBs if they would like to clarify the conversation from their perspective.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Duplicate, apologies.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Scary post about WBs .... Like you, tough to buy an expensive watch unseen and not be able to return it. WBs does their traveling shows, but I live a long way from the cities they visit. It would be nice Sinn had at least one other US distributor to give WB competition.

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
What a great write-up, thank you @longstride! Long live the 103 and this wonderful thread. I've got a Military Type IV incoming, can't wait to join the gang.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pretty strange encounter with Watch Buys today stemming from my above post from over two years ago in May 2018. I thought it would be helpful to document for any forum members thinking about picking up a watch from them. As my original post states, I picked up a Sinn 103 from WBs in May 2018. I had the watch in my hands for a few minutes before boxing it up and sending it back the same day. Although I understood the 103 had a friction fit bezel, the watch I was sent had a loose, free spinning bezel (it could be spun by lightly dragging one finger along edge). Not happy with the lack of quality, I informed WBs about the issue and sent it back. Matt, the WB rep I dealt with at the time, advised that I was on the hook for the return shipping because the watch was inspected by their "Sinn watchmaker" and deemed "within spec." The encounter left a bad taste in my mouth but at the end of the day it was my word against their's. I ate the return shipping and moved on with my life.

Fast forward over two years, I wanted to try out another Sinn model and narrowed it down to the UX or U1 SDR. I called WBs a few times this week to discuss the different dive models with no issues (admittedly, everyone was helpful and courteous). However, just prior to placing an order today with their Sinn rep Jim for a U1 SDR, the call took an awkward turn. He mentioned that he noticed I created a new WB account today and that he ran my name/info in the system. Unbeknownst to me, it turns out I still "had an account with them" but the account "was flagged" back in May 2018 because of my post on Watchuseek. Jim read the notes on file from 2018 and stated WBs had taken a significant loss on the 103 I sent back because it had to be "sold as used." A little taken back, I went on the defensive and justified trying on the watch over two years ago. Regardless of the now-known nuances in WBs return policy, I said it is unrealistic to expect consumers to refrain from trying on and inspecting expensive watches that are bought sight unseen. In fact, I would have never even noticed the loose bezel issue without taking off the plastic surrounding the case (or any other dial/case defect for that matter, if one had arose). Relying on their case notes, Jim persisted that the watch was "within spec" and that the issue was that "I tried it on" as opposed to simply lying it across my wrist with the plastics still attached. Looking back, I think the real issue was that I posted wearing the watch and questioned/criticized its quality. Jim closed out the conversation by stating, "because your account is flagged, any future purchases have to be made via wire transfer" and that he was still "happy to answer any other remaining questions I have." In sum, I hung up without placing an order and a little aggravated.

At this point, I regret posting critical impressions and a wrist shot of the watch, just as I regret not taking a video of the bezel to demonstrate what was deemed "within spec." Even if Sinn/WBs found issue with me posting about the watch here, I have a hard time believing that it was "used" due to my handling. I opened the box, looked it over, tried it on, (took a picture), and put it back in the box exactly how I received it. I found an email chain from May 10, 2018 where I received the return authorization from WBs at 2:52 p.m. and I exchanged the return tracking info after dropping it off at UPS at 4:38 p.m. The wrist shot in my original post is timestamped, "May 10, 2018 at 2:38 p.m." As a dealer trying to sell a watch without a showroom, it is pretty inappropriate for WBs to assert, two years later, that the 103 I returned was "within spec." Further, the fact that WBs "took a loss" trying to resell a returned, defective watch...sounds more like the cost of doing business? It's unfortunate that this is a "my word vs. your word" situation that blackballs me from buying a new Sinn in the future. Nonetheless, I still think it is important to document my experience with WBs as a reference for anyone on WUS thinking about buying one of their watches. I never experienced something like this in my ten or so years on the forums and buying watches. I welcome the forum's input, as well as WBs if they would like to clarify the conversation from their perspective.
Wow...

I find this account disturbing. Kudos for the reserved, objective write-up. I had a similar issue with Sinn quality standards detailed in this post:

I have been admiring the 103 ST Diapal a lot lately, and I am considering this model for a (distant) future purchase. I still am a bit wary of Sinn / Watchbuys however. Also considering the Damasko DC86.

J

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Wow...

I find this account disturbing. Kudos for the reserved, objective write-up. I had a similar issue with Sinn quality standards detailed in this post:

I have been admiring the 103 ST Diapal a lot lately, and I am considering this model for a (distant) future purchase. I still am a bit wary of Sinn / Watchbuys however. Also considering the Damasko DC86.

J
I owed a Damasko DC56 and it was an amazing watch. Greg from Watchmann was also awesome to deal with. I really like the look of the DC86 chrono as well. It’s a big ocean out there with a lot of great watches. I can say that I will eventually try out a Sinn, regardless if it’s new or used. Have you tried calling WBs to discuss a new purchase following your prior experience and post on the forums? Interested to hear if their 2-year grudge policy is a normal occurrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Been thinking about ordering a 103. So, as I sit mulling acrylic vs sapphire for the hundredth time, I am perusing Chrono24 just to kind of admire them while I think.

Came across one for sale on a Japanese seller's site which contains a fantastic example of "In Praise of the 103..."

SELLER'S COMMENTS:

The highly visible blackface is full of gin-like wonderful taste.

:)

I want one even more now.

321 - 340 of 359 Posts