WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been into watches since I was a kid. In my early teens I somehow became aware of Tudor watches, Rolex quality cases and bracelets with economical movements intrigued me. I had a number of vintage watches, things I found at yard sales and antique stores, but nothing spectacularly cool. I recall eyeing V&C’s and Patek’s at a jewelry shop in downtown Santa Barbara while attending UCSB, getting watch mailers from watch shops in San Francisco, but I was a poor college student. When I started working, I was keeping an eye on Tudor’s, but they were still more than I wanted to spend. I was lucky to buy a Rolex Datejust from the early 80’s for $600 in 07, wore it for a year and sold it for $1250, which was fair market value at the time. At that time I could ask my watch guy about dive watches or Omega Chronos and he would pull out a roll of 10 or so watches, most around $1500, ah the good old days. Somehow the Tudor Sub still eluded me, though I started to understand that I preferred a stainless case with a solid Swiss movement and a dial that I could stare at with enjoyment. I briefly, maybe a week, had an Omega Seamaster from the early 00’s and found it very ugly. Luckily a customer, I was a bartender at the time, was into watches also and bought it for more than I paid for it.

How does this relate to the Miyota? Well I was a self admitted Swiss movement snob. Somewhere along the way I bought a Seiko SKX007 and slowly started to appreciate Japanese watches, though I had some strange belief that only Seiko made quality watches, with Citizen being less than. A few weeks ago I purchased my first watch with a Miyota automatic movement, the 9039, and I have to say I’m quite impressed. It happens to be housed in a 5513 homage by Silver Watch Co, the Tudor still alludes me, though it seems to tick a number of boxes on why I loved Tudor’s. A third party movement in a quality stainless steel case with a dial that I can just stare at. The movement is rock solid, gaining 6 seconds at night in any position, except crown down, where it doesn’t gain or lose anything.

I feel as though I may have missed out on a bunch of cool watches over the years due to my ignorance and bias towards Swiss movements. What is kinda funny is that if you go back far enough, English and French watches were the cat’s meow with Swiss companies being third party manufacturers for them. While I recognize that Japanese movements may never hold the same panache as Swiss movements, we are in a Golden era of quality movements in superbly machined cases with lovely dials that are technically better than the vintage watches most of us love.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Some of those higher end Miyota's are fantastic. Starting to dip into more of those and don't ever really seem to be disappointed beyond if it is an exhibition caseback.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Owned a couple of Japanese movement watches like Miyota 8015 and 90s5 and Seikos.

Have to say they are keeping good time and I have no complains about it.

Or maybe Im just not sensitive enough to tell a difference with the Swiss counterpart.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts OP. I have a Smiths PRS-25 which has a Miyota 9039 in it and it’s been ticking and keeping time well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts