4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
then one day it happened

early "nut" box

A DW6300 was born, it not yet marked as a "frogman" except for a paper tag

The idea at the time was to concentrate on the "shock" aspect i guess

no Frogs

I find this very interesting

You can see here that so far Frogs have been a "skip generation" in the looks department, 200's look more like the 6300 than the 8200 and the 1000 looks more like the 8200 than the 200 {i know the 9900 should be in there but i no longer have one and so far it was an anomaly in design}

i have no idea why i have this frog since i'm not a collector but i do find it interesting

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm still trying to familiarize myself to this new addiction so please bare with my questions:

1. what is the model of the leftmost watch in the last picture?
2. is it ok to press the buttons underwater even though the manual says no?

by the way, nice close ups! :)

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still trying to familiarize myself to this new addiction so please bare with my questions:

1. what is the model of the leftmost watch in the last picture?
2. is it ok to press the buttons underwater even though the manual says no?

by the way, nice close ups! :)
That is the GWF 1000 atomic frog.
I use the buttons underwater, I think this warning was only on the earliest watches but this one isn't likely ever to see any "real" use.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Nice catch there, in such a good condition too.

lexvil said:
i know the 9900 should be in there but i no longer have one and so far it was an anomaly in design
As far as design anomalies go, the 9900 is the only one I'll take. ;-)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
You can see here that so far Frogs have been a "skip generation" in the looks department, 200's look more like the 6300 than the 8200 and the 1000 looks more like the 8200 than the 200 {i know the 9900 should be in there but i no longer have one and so far it was an anomaly in design}
Lex,

As much as I like Frogs, I have trouble following you in this description. I'd love to see it illustrated by photos so I can see why a model looks more like one model than another.

Maybe this is because my Frogmen are almost all special editions? Kermit, MIRB, Dawn Black, Master Blue, GWF-1000. I haven't caught onto the evolutionary changes....

·
Registered
999 Posts
Love the 6300 Frog, probably my favorite (unfortunately, since it is hard to find in good shape- they're usually either beat to hell or in new condition $$)

Can't beat the look IMHO.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Lex,

As much as I like Frogs, I have trouble following you in this description. I'd love to see it illustrated by photos so I can see why a model looks more like one model than another.

Maybe this is because my Frogmen are almost all special editions? Kermit, MIRB, Dawn Black, Master Blue, GWF-1000. I haven't caught onto the evolutionary changes....
The DW-6300 came out in 1993 and was the very first Frogman even tough the word Frogman did not appear anywhere on the watch, only the tag. The DW-8200 came out in 1995 and had a slightly larger size and new more round design details, and its most distinctive design feature the button shrouds. The DW-9900 came out in 1999 but was a side track, it runned alongside the DW-8200, it never replaced it but was rather a "poor mans Frogman" and for the even "poorer" we had the Seaman that looked like a DW-9900.

Then in 2001 we got the GW-200 series, the 200 series looked like a modern version of the original DW-6300. So it was a step backwards in time with regards to the design but at the same time a step forward with more modern design details and finish. Now in 2009 we got the atomic Frogman the GWF-1000 that is a mixture of 2 designs. In one part it has the modern design style of the new Master Of G models mostly a beefed up Riseman without the sensor. And another part with the button shrouds and larger size that is reminiscent of the old DW-8200 model.

So it indeed seems like Casio is skipping generations. The GW-200 skipped back to the 1993 DW-6300 stylewise and the GWF-1000 is skipping back to the DW-8200 from 1995 stylewise but with added design elements from modern Masters Of G..

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
To add to the info on the DW6300, there were two versions, without and with the froggie engraved on the caseback. Also the case was SS and not titanium as the following models were. Of course collectors wish the Froggie engraved version.
The DW9900 Froggies have the day/date both in the top window, and some fellows liked that. These are priced less on auctions and can be a great deal! The gel blue and red ones are particularly nice...:-!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Very interesting collection :-!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Very interesting, thank you for posting this little lesson in history.
What puzzles me is the underwater button operation -
Is it Casio playing on the safe side, or is it really can't be done?

For a digital diver's watch, such button operation is a necessity :think:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
great shots lex. i guess i didn't know much about the original. and i agree with your observation about the generation skipping- most noticeable traits to me are the left button guards and the right bezel area either being interrupted by the metal bezel or not.

thanks for sharing and teaching me something! (value of info tbd... :))

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Nice catch. You have each one per generation. Great!:-!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
The DW-6300 came out in 1993 and was the very first Frogman even tough the word Frogman did not appear anywhere on the watch, only the tag. The DW-8200 came out in 1995 and had a slightly larger size and new more round design details....
Thanks so much Joakim for this historical rundown. It helps put things in perspective for me! I had often wondered why some Frogmen had individual button shrouds on the left, whereas others had an outer ridge all along the left side of the case....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts