WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...have cases manufactured by Wadsworth? I came across a vintage Omega with this case back inscription. Note the lack of Swiss hallmarking, which I guess would be appropriate for a Wadsworth case. Does it look legit?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Yes indeed Omega's in the USA were often encased in Wadsworth cases: also Star and other companies supplied cases.

Norman Morris, the OMega US distributor imported movements and dials, along with case designs and encased them in the US to save on duty. Not all watches were assembled in this way, and many other Omega styles over time were fully imported.

I wrote a longish essay on solid gold cases in later Constellations on my blog that covers the Morris legacy.

Cheers

desmond

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

...have cases manufactured by Wadsworth? I came across a vintage Omega with this case back inscription. Note the lack of Swiss hallmarking, which I guess would be appropriate for a Wadsworth case. Does it look legit?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Yes. Many of the Omega watches sold in the US had cases made by Wadsworth. As Desmond mentioned, this was done to by pass import tariffs on precious metals.

Omega did allow their watches to be housed in locally produced cases in a few countries. As far as those in the US market, I believe these are annotated as "US Collection" on the Omega website.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
One other clue. On your movement, there is an "OXG" import code. This is the code for Omega, serves no other purposes thn to denote that the movement was exported to the USA.

It would make sense that this particular movement would be cased here.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent help, guys. :thanks

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The alarm bells should be ringing though with the A-R waaaay over to R, I bet it will need a good look over if you get it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts