WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my first two Russian watches, and I can't express how excited I am. I've ordered a Luch with the 2209 movement, and a Sekonda which I think has the same movement? Looks like it. Total cost: $120

Luch:
il_570xN.438883900_n2ts.jpg
il_570xN.438883944_s3wi.jpg

Sekonda:
il_570xN.409087763_hpkj.jpg
il_570xN.409088081_jsfw.jpg

The mechanics look pretty similar to me, but I'm not exactly a watch expert. Does anyone know more about them than me?

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,136 Posts
You are correct. They are the same movement. The Sekonda watch was manufactured by Minsk Watch Factory (Luch) for Sekonda, UK.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
The Luch-branded one appears to be a very early example, if it's all original, as it still sports Poljot-type hour and minute hands. Not long after they acquired the rights to this design, they changed the hour and minute hands to thicker ones like the one on this Sekonda-branded version, to aid legibility. There is also a possibility that the Luch has a replaced crown, as it seems to be a later - and easier to grip - style.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are correct. They are the same movement. The Sekonda watch was manufactured by Minsk Watch Factory (Luch) for Sekonda, UK.
Thank you very much. I bought the Sekonda primarily because it looked like it sported a 2209 movement, and according to various threads on this forum, the 2209 should be quite "user-friendly", so to speak. Glad I wasn't wrong :)

The Luch-branded one appears to be a very early example, if it's all original, as it still sports Poljot-type hour and minute hands. Not long after they acquired the rights to this design, they changed the hour and minute hands to thicker ones like the one on this Sekonda-branded version, to aid legibility. There is also a possibility that the Luch has a replaced crown, as it seems to be a later - and easier to grip - style.
If it was all original, how old would it be exactly? Seller sold it marked as a 70's cccp watch, does that fit in with your estimation of age?

Regardless of the origins, I think both watches are sexy as hell. They have the same appeal as my fathers 60's Omega Genéve, and that's not to be underestimated!

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Luch acquired the manufacturing rights from Poljot in 1970 or 1971, so it is fair to say that your example was built in the very early 1970s. I do like these watches and have a small collection of them, some might even blame me for pushing up the prices!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I like these too - the 2209 movement allows for a stylish watch. But it seems this movement needs more service compared to others where the gears are not so tightly packed. When not serviced, the watch is stiff to wind and set but newly serviced is smooth and a pleasure to wind and wear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you happen to have a link to a gallery of your watches, Seele? I'd love to see your collection, I've seen quite a few interesting examples on this forum already.

The 2209 movement is wonderful, I really like slim watches, and 2209 is just that. I am aware of the service needs, which is also partly who I bought the Sekonda. I plan on using the Sekonda as a "test" watch when I decide that I must learn how to service them. Hopefully it will go well.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
I do not have an online gallery of my collection, so there you go. A few of them have been shown here, but it's not quite the same thing then...

If you want to learn how to work on the 2209, it would be an idea to find less-good examples, perhaps just the movement only; it would be a rather frustrating thing to have an uh-oh moment when working on an otherwise fully working watch!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Congrats.

I too am very fond of ultrathin watches with the 2209 movement. I think they are very underrated. They can still be had for very reasonable prices, not much more than much more plebeian offerings (which I also love.... ).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Impressive collection, DolleDolf! I especially like the Luch with the thunderbolt style logo and black dial, something similar to that is at the top of my "to get" list!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts