WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

In Thuds We Trust: Glycine Airman SST R724

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Seijikam 
#1 · (Edited)
Somebody is very happy this festive season and wants to share his joy:)

Since I am into this collecting hobby, there was THE ONE which I always had desired, but had weak hopes to find.City legend was saying that they were produced 1968-69 only 100 pieces but just 20 of them were sold ( wondering the rest? read further ).

The SST ( Super Sonic Transportation ), was a project starting from early 60's to produce a passenger jet which can travel above 1 Mach. In CONUS, Boeing won the project and the 2707 was accepted by the committee to be manufactured.

Airplane Aircraft Aerospace engineering Airliner Hangar

Ups and downs, funding concerns delayed the project until 1971 when it was cancelled and the race in SST was lost to European counterparts' Airbus, Concorde. During 2 presidency in the US, this project came to the protoype production and test flight however serial production needed further funding, which was rejected by the Senate.

Aircraft Aviation Vehicle Airplane Airline

During this 10 + years process, multiple products were already being introduced to the consumers with SST logos. One of the companies doing this, was Glycine. The Glycine Airman, since 1953 was already very well known and used widely by the USAF pilots. In 1968 Glycine started their SST line. Chronographs, divers and pilots' watches were introduced to the market with the SST caseback markings.

Watch Watch accessory Metal Automotive wheel system Wheel

Product Platter Metal Serveware Plate

Enough Story! Here is the watch. Thank you Thudguy,a fellow WUS member, who made this transaction happen. He was flying the F105 Thunderchief back in the 60's and the legacy of Glycine Airman was on the wrists of these Airmen with the motto: In Thuds We Trust.

Aircraft Vehicle Airplane Military aircraft Jet aircraft

The Glycine Airman SST Chronograph, my collection's holly grail.Casing the Valjoux 724 and produced in September 1969.

The watch has just been serviced by Craig - Chronodeco before joining my collection. I can just recommend him further with the fantastic job he is doing. Thanks Craig! Hats off...

The very good thing is, Thudguy had also the Glycine GMT chronograph ! The story becomes even more juicy... So I didn't miss this opportunity and bought the same era chronographs. Here they are:

Box Wood Rectangle Hardwood

Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Fashion accessory
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

Watch Watch accessory Metal Automotive wheel system Wheel

Watch Fashion accessory Vehicle Metal

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Auto part Bicycle part Wheel Spoke Rim

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

The Airman SST Chrono and the Glycine GMT Chrono.

Still wondering what happened to the not - sold 80 pieces?

They were given as a present to the Concorde Pilots :) Such a twist, produced for Boeing end up in Concorde...

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll bet you're the only guy on the planet that owns that pair of watches. Really fantastic. I'm glad you're home now and are enjoying them. Merry Christmas!

Reactions: Emre
#12 ·

Emre....You are the man!!! That is one insane pair of grail chronos you have! I miss my 70s Airman SST pumpkin, and fell in love with the chrono version when I saw one on Ebay a few years back. Glad to hear you know/use Craig at Chronodeco. He does incredible work.

Dennis...yeah, this guy is probably is the only one on the planet to own both simultaneously!

Cheers! Enjoy your grails!

Reactions: Emre
#4 ·
Hi Emre
I put one on permanent display at NAWCC Musuem.
Its in the 2000 to Present area
A

#5 ·
Dennis, yes back home finally and enjoying quality time with family.Thank you for the compliments.
M.Stanton, there aren't many around from these timepieces, and even when there is, not everybody is on these boards to share. I am into this brand since 4 years and still some models are sufacing which I never saw before.
Adam, what do you mean after 2000? Do you have the recent ETA 775x tribute to these waches in display?I saw one from 70's the non-chrono SST version in your display photos...

#6 · (Edited)
Adam, what do you mean after 2000? Do you have the recent ETA 775x tribute to these waches in display?I saw one from 70's the non-chrono SST version in your display photos...
Hi
Originally, the watch was in the 50s display (Complication arrive)
I moved it to the ptesent display before I left, it now sits near the Omega Seamaster.
If I have a picture on this PC, I will post it.
Fact is its on display in 2000 to Present. It is tagged (description and cataloged) with correct date
A

#8 ·
Thanks for the story of your watches, Emre - fascinating!
Just one grating note, calling it the Airbus Concorde as opposed to BAC/Aerospatiale as it was when manufactured.
I feel so proud Concorde was built in my home city, Bristol. My mum's abiding memory of her pregnancy with me was the sound of Olympus engine testing at Rolls Royce at Patchway
Filton pictures:
First flight 1969

Last landing 2003

Recently, Bo 105 air ambo gets airborne with Concorde on the other side of the field

#13 · (Edited)
Great post Emre, I've only just come across this as it was hidden away in a part of the forum I never visit!

I always wondered why Glycine did not put Concorde on the case back, a European watchmaker tying up with a European aircraft that actually flew would seem to make more sense. I saw Concorde fly a few times, once when performing landing and take off at my local airport it drew a crowd of 100,000! One of my lifelong regrets is that I never flew in her.

So now we need to track down Concorde aircrew for the other 80 pieces!

I like the handwound movement on this, what is the crystal made of - sapphire or acrylic??

It seems that to enjoy the vibe I will have to buy one of the modern SST's!

#16 · (Edited)
Thank you gents.I was excited to see the thread on the top,thought that another Airman chronograph surfaced,than realized its my own post :)

Stephen great to see you in vintage.This part of the forum is really educational for me, the diversified knowledge in cross brands and the common wealth of vintage watch enthusiasm is a great platform.Since I am into vintage Glycine,I frequent here also very often.

The crystal is acrylic and larger than the case hole,installed from the movement side to prevent pop-out in pressure changes.Martin was explaining this pressure-related issues very detailed in the Glycine forum (https://www.watchuseek.com/f18/airman-150-000-feet-pressure-proof-977593.html ).This was applied by default to all Glycine Airman line, since it was dedicated to flying personnel and the pressure-proof thing was something valued back then. An advertisement from 1961 mentioning the 150,000 feet pressure - proof spec ( Flying Magazine, Nov 1961 ):

As for the European watchmaking company and European Aviation ties,you know how deep I am into re-searching anything related to this brand. I've never come across any advertisement or article mentioning 'Airman' in Europe.I don't know yet,why.Not sure if this line was something exclusive for the American market or USAF,AOPA-never saw an agreement on it except the military personnel and AOPA members discounts.The only European sales points for 'Glycine Airman' I know were in Germany and Greece in 'American Military Base Exchange Centers'.Also scanning the recent market,most Airman surface from the US.There were importers in the US,so certainly they were produced in Bienne,Switzerland but the sales distribution was in the US.Samuel Glur,once Sales Manager,later in charge of the company in this period would be the key person to track down the Concorde distribution.I doubt he is still alive since he was the one back in early 50s creating the Airman legacy, he must have born somewhere in late 20s or early 30s,but if I find something related I certainly will share.

#15 ·
Beautiful watches, nice storyline --> good read!

Congratulations, and yes, you're probably the only person on earth to own both :-!

Best regards
Tomcat

#18 ·
Thanks for the furher info. Emre, the fact it has acrylic crystal in addition to the manual wind makes it even more desirable for me!

#19 ·
great pair, congrats

#21 ·
Somebody is very happy this festive season and wants to share his joy:)

Since I am into this collecting hobby, there was THE ONE which I always had desired, but had weak hopes to find.City legend was saying that they were produced 1968-69 only 100 pieces but just 20 of them were sold ( wondering the rest? read further ).

The SST ( Super Sonic Transportation ), was a project starting from early 60's to produce a passenger jet which can travel above 1 Mach. In CONUS, Boeing won the project and the 2707 was accepted by the committee to be manufactured.

View attachment 1310673

Ups and downs, funding concerns delayed the project until 1971 when it was cancelled and the race in SST was lost to European counterparts' Airbus, Concorde. During 2 presidency in the US, this project came to the protoype production and test flight however serial production needed further funding, which was rejected by the Senate.

View attachment 1310674

During this 10 + years process, multiple products were already being introduced to the consumers with SST logos. One of the companies doing this, was Glycine. The Glycine Airman, since 1953 was already very well known and used widely by the USAF pilots. In 1968 Glycine started their SST line. Chronographs, divers and pilots' watches were introduced to the market with the SST caseback markings.

View attachment 1310678

View attachment 1310680

Enough Story! Here is the watch. Thank you Thudguy,a fellow WUS member, who made this transaction happen. He was flying the F105 Thunderchief back in the 60's and the legacy of Glycine Airman was on the wrists of these Airmen with the motto: In Thuds We Trust.

View attachment 1310681

The Glycine Airman SST Chronograph, my collection's holly grail.Casing the Valjoux 724 and produced in September 1969.

The watch has just been serviced by Craig - Chronodeco before joining my collection. I can just recommend him further with the fantastic job he is doing. Thanks Craig! Hats off...

The very good thing is, Thudguy had also the Glycine GMT chronograph ! The story becomes even more juicy... So I didn't miss this opportunity and bought the same era chronographs. Here they are:

View attachment 1310683

View attachment 1310684 View attachment 1310685

View attachment 1310678

View attachment 1310686

View attachment 1310687

View attachment 1310688

View attachment 1310689

The Airman SST Chrono and the Glycine GMT Chrono.

Still wondering what happened to the not - sold 80 pieces?

They were given as a present to the Concorde Pilots :) Such a twist, produced for Boeing end up in Concorde...
Excellent story Emre.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.