WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Well, in the 1930s and the 1940s (and later on), apparently only Smiths had their watches entirely made in Britain- the rest of British watch companies either used Swiss movements, or had the whole thing made in Switzerland for them, and only had their name put on the dial.

The case is quite lovely, but I can't see anything "rare" about it.

Reactions: Patrick_Ethan

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks for the feedback.

I was certainly misusing the term "rare" in context, only to indicate I haven't seen many Winegartens with the square case / blued hands but I have only been looking a couple days.
Was told this is a George Stockwell cushion case and have found a few breadcrumbs.

http://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/5321072182
This is one of the most entertaining aspects of vintage ownership - finding the story.

Post edited to protect the innocent & guilty ;-)

Cheers

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
George Stockwell? A case maker alright, but mostly an importer. Are there any hallmarks on the inner side of the case back?

If the case was locally made (and if it is silver), the markings would be: purity of the silver, sponsor's/maker's mark (GS for George Stockwell), assay office stamp, "date letter." For an imported case, it would be pretty much the same, except that there'd be an import hallmark instead of the regular assay office stamp.

Reactions: Patrick_Ethan
1 - 6 of 6 Posts