WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here's what's incoming:

Raymond Weil RW Sport 8100-SR1-05207... I really like the looks, for the most part... The dial is fantastic to me, love the large yellowish digits and the date at 12, but I will probably get the shiny portions of the case brushed, as I think it will look much better that way. The build quality is great. It's quartz, which I like, although not a thermocompensated movement.

So why on the fence? The fact that the bezel is unmarked and doesn't rotate seems cheesy to me. I don't like it when bezels are notched but non-functional. I'd also like a bit more depth resistance, say 300m instead of the 200. I had also started my quest for a new watch looking for a GMT hand if possible, and obviously this doesn't have that either. I've seen people mod notched non-functional bezels by getting them smoothed down, so maybe I'll do that...

Overall, I think I really like it. I definitely want to really like it, because to me, the overall look of the watch is really hot. The girls I've shown pics to absolutely love it, so that's nice... I guess my big fear is that I'm looking for a rugged day-to-day tool watch for bad conditions that will also present well in mixed company, but I may have ordered a particularly well-built, particularly good-looking fashion watch instead. But who knows... In the end, a label is just that- a label. And if this thing does the job and looks good doing it, who cares...

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Those are quite drastic mods that you are considering.

Yah, why put the notch on the bezel if you can not grip and turn it?

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
You pointed out the #1 one thing I absolutely hate about that line up, the bezel that looks like it should be functional. Basically, a dive bezel w/o any countdown timer that does not function even if it did. Send it back IMHO.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
My first question: why buy it if you weren't sure you really liked it and have issues with some of the features? I can see if you wished the date window was in a different location, or some other small problem, but you seem really irritated about the bezel. Which leads me to the second question: do you need a rotating bezel for something important?

. I'd also like a bit more depth resistance, say 300m instead of the 200.
Please be honest - do you actually need another 100 meters water resistance? Seriously? Will this watch even see salt water?

Thanks in advance for answering.

·
Registered
767 Posts
If you aren't totally pumped up about it, I think that is a bad sign....unless it was inexpensive enough to be of no consequence....I just searched the brand and i don't think that is the case. I

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
That's a pretty basic, but good looking watch. However, you could easily find what you're looking for in another watch. Even if you do the mods to the watch, you probably won't be satisfied with it.

So, return it and get something you like. Even if it has features that you don't necessarily need.

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
Buy it if you really like it, not really for other people's opinions. The mod you're proposing sounds plausible, although, it looks fine the way it is now.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I guess my big fear is that I'm looking for a rugged day-to-day tool watch for bad conditions that will also present well in mixed company, but I may have ordered a particularly well-built, particularly good-looking fashion watch instead.
Whenever I hear "I'm looking for a rugged day-to-day tool watch that will also present well in mixed company" (which is often) I think Sinn U1 on a bracelet.

It doesn't sound like you are too into that watch to me.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Someone (probably on these boards) told me this about modification: the best way to do a mod is to take a firm grip on the watch... and then sell it, and use the funds to buy a watch that looks like you wanted it to look all along.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first question: why buy it if you weren't sure you really liked it and have issues with some of the features? I can see if you wished the date window was in a different location, or some other small problem, but you seem really irritated about the bezel. Which leads me to the second question: do you need a rotating bezel for something important?

Please be honest - do you actually need another 100 meters water resistance? Seriously? Will this watch even see salt water?

Thanks in advance for answering.
LOL... Short answer, yes. My understanding of claimed WR's for watches is that 200m is actually not good for much... That you'll want 300m even for consistent shallow diving. Of course, on deep dives and MGD, a watch is just a fail safe for a dive computer... And my DC backup is another DC...

Basically this watch needs to be able to handle some seriously nasty conditions and then look good for cocktails. I handled one, and it seems well-built and rugged... The quartz movement (besides being precise and not fussy) means that it will handle shocks, right? Honestly, besides the lack of a rotating bezel, it doesn't bug me that much. I've pretty much given up trying to find a rugged quartz GMT, so that's not a real point of contention...

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
LOL... Short answer, yes. My understanding of claimed WR's for watches is that 200m is actually not good for much... That you'll want 300m even for consistent shallow diving. Of course, on deep dives and MGD, a watch is just a fail safe for a dive computer... And my DC backup is another DC...
Seiko ISO rated dive watches are rated to 200M ... your info might be a little out of date.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Someone (probably on these boards) told me this about modification: the best way to do a mod is to take a firm grip on the watch... and then sell it, and use the funds to buy a watch that looks like you wanted it to look all along.
:-!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The Airplane Diver GMT looked promising, however:
A. I am unsure about the quality/fit/finish of Zeno watches, as I had never heard of the marque before I googled "quartz GMT"
B. I can't find the solid black bezel version anywhere, and I really am not feeling the black/color bezel versions
C. I need a sapphire crystal.

If I could get confirmation that they are nicely put-together pieces, I might think about getting the black-orange bezel (the least offensive to me) and swapping in a sapphire once the mineral gets nicked up... I still don't like the overall look (even of the solid black bezel one) as much as the Raymond Weil... The RW looks and feels more expensive than it is in person...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Like ulackfocus, I too, cannot understand why would you buy it in the first place if it is not 100% your thing...

On dive GMT, the new Cristopher Ward C60 Trident is getting some good reviews... ETA 2893-2 inside...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like ulackfocus, I too, cannot understand why would you buy it in the first place if it is not 100% your thing...

On dive GMT, the new Cristopher Ward C60 Trident is getting some good reviews... ETA 2893-2 inside...
Been looking for a new piece since just before Christmas, when in a fit of holiday generosity I gave my Colt II off my wrist to my father who needed a watch... Guess I got bored of searching for the perfect thing, and figured "good enough"...

The Trident is nice, but I was looking for a quartz tool GMT... Autos are significantly easier to come by...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Actually, I think it is a nice looking watch and I can see why you were drawn to it. A diving bezel would have been great but if you don't dive then it it all for show anyway. I'd leave it alone. Any modification seems to reduce the value significantly anyway. Don't worry about what the women think. 99.9999999 percent are not into watches anyway.. :)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It arrived today.

There was a tag on a plastic zip tie at the deployant clasp that needed to be removed to size the watch. The tag read: "Not returnable if removed".

I stared at the watch in my hand for a good two minutes.

Then I repacked it carefully, and resealed the shipping box.

Back to the hunt...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts