WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, that's right. I bit the bullet, pulled the trigger, gave it a shot, took the plunge, took the risk, etc, etc, etc...

I've been eye-ballin' the 5500 series for a while now, and after seeing threads about the rotting banana looking ones and such, I just had to get me one. However, the one I'm getting is the all-black one with the grey buttons and has the solar/atomic feature. I bid on it at the very last second and won it for a song, even including shipping! :-!

The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that it's coming straight from Japan. I hope it doesn't run into any issues on its way here to Florida, like sliding off of one of those container ships and sink to the bottom of the ocean, or get held up in customs for weeks, or display everyting in Japanese... I'm kidding of course. :-d

Seriously though, I wonder how long it's going to take to get here. I can't wait!

Here's a pic of it from the eBay auction...

·
Registered
747 Posts
:-! I like mine.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Nice! I love the retro look. BTW do the 5500's take normal bands with pins?
I have nothing to compare them to as my other Gs have metal bands but I believe they are wider than normal. Somebody more knowledgeable should come along soon to confirm this or correct me. Welcome to WUS. b-)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Congrats, you will like it, and will wear it wherever you go, its that fun to wear on the wrist.

Attractive women will ask you for the time, and crying babies will stop immediately when you are near. Birds will perch on your shoulder and tweet soothing sounds.

All in the presence of this 5500. Its a superb looking one. Pity its not available in my neck of the woods, can't use the atomic feature.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Congrats, you will like it, and will wear it wherever you go, its that fun to wear on the wrist.

Attractive women will ask you for the time, and crying babies will stop immediately when you are near. Birds will perch on your shoulder and tweet soothing sounds.

All in the presence of this 5500. Its a superb looking one. Pity its not available in my neck of the woods, can't use the atomic feature.
If the folks in Australia can get the Japan signal, shouldn't you be able to get it in Singapore as well? :think:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If the folks in Australia can get the Japan signal, shouldn't you be able to get it in Singapore as well? :think:
Unfortunately, no.

An aquaintance of mine bought an atomic G-Shock in Japan, upon his return it did not work, only the regular timekeeping and solar feature functioned.

Kind of like owning a Nascar and only driving it to the grocery store and back.

My next trip to Japan I'm gonna go berserk for the G-Shocks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't believe it. The gentleman I won this watch from already left me positive feedback! Now why can't all the people on eBay be that way?!

I'm pretty darn sure I'll be buying from this gent again! :-!

Ultramanpat, I hope that at least half of what you say comes true. LOL :-d;-)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I can't believe it. The gentleman I won this watch from already left me positive feedback! Now why can't all the people on eBay be that way?!

I'm pretty darn sure I'll be buying from this gent again! :-!

Ultramanpat, I hope that at least half of what you say comes true. LOL :-d;-)

I just went to visit the seller's page, interesting goodies there!

I'm pretty psyched up about the black 5500 too, gotta check my paypal account......

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Nice! I love the retro look. BTW do the 5500's take normal bands with pins?
Unfortunately not. Well, it does use springbars, but only for the inner part of the band. You could probably use a very narrow band, but it would look awful.

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, "Lucida Grande", Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }
Now that's what I call style. ;-)

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Nice! I love the retro look. BTW do the 5500's take normal bands with pins?.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, "Lucida Grande", Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }

I remember someone either here or at another forum, who placed his 5500 brown camo on a set of strap adaptors. Looked pretty good that way and allowed for nylon straps to be used. I doubt any other G-shock straps will work though.

Kev

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Now that's what I call style. ;-)
Hehe, I tried to edit my post and all that crap appeared after I saved it. I didn't try to change the font or font size, no idea where it came from?:think:
I am using the Opera browser that could be the problem...:-s

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
13 days later and IT'S HERE!!!

All I can say is WOW! I really like this one. It's nice and big, very light and comfy on the wrist. I love the ultra clear and crisp display. Hell, I even like the box it came in. It's different from the typical G-Shock boxes over here in the states.

Anyway, on with some shots of my new G!...

A nice group shot of all my G's. All atomic/solar except for the DW-5600 naturally. Also with authentic Japanese newpaper and adds! :-d

Last but not least, the Japan version of the G-Shock box...

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I dig it! I hope to win one of those "on the cheap" :). I like how it's a solar/atomic but shows the day and date at the same time! I wish they all did that. Is the module in this the same size as a 5600 (basically...would a swap work?)?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is the module in this the same size as a 5600 (basically...would a swap work?)?
By just looking at it, it seems as though they would/could interchange. I'm not sure what differences there are with the actual body of the modules though. :think:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the pics. Today I also got my Gulfman, so happy right now.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,572 Posts
Hi SpaceView,

It is a real nice beauty. Great pictures too. The blue sunny sky looks nice warm. (Better then here, with a constant low sun angle. I have been in a car whole day, looking straight into it;-)). Wear your G in good health!

Cheers,

Sjors

1 - 20 of 24 Posts